Subscribe to this Thread…
    dadsgrl

complete shutdown of kidneys

My father is on dialysis for almost a year now. His kidneys are completly shut down. He does not look well. Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy is for such a person if the kidneys are completely shut down? Does it make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgrl
    My father is on dialysis for almost a year now. His kidneys are completly shut down. He does not look well. Can anyone tell me what the life expectancy is for such a person if the kidneys are completely shut down? Does it make a difference?
    Some people who post on this and other kidney/dialysis boards have had one or both of their kidneys removed and have survived on dialysis for decades. If your Dad does not look well, he may have health problems which need to be addressed. How does he say he feels? Have his recent blood values been OK? How is his appetite? When was his last appointment with his nephrologist?

Re: complete shutdown of kidneys

about how long can an elderly woman of 87yrs live with no kidneys /without dialasis?

Stymie,

How does the 87 year old woman feel? I tolerated dialysis very well and I was 53 at the time. I did notice that the older people, nursing home residents usually, tended to either quit or pass. By the time you reach 87 the years are against you anyway and dialysis is hard on the body. It did seem that most of the time the older people died from age related problems certainly spurred on by the kidney disease. Younger people have died while on dialysis. Unfortunately, kidney disease has no respect for age.
    "Within every adversity lies a slumbering possibility"
    Linda
    Tx: 7/28/2005
    St. Louis University Hospital

thanks for the fast input there,well currently she is doin very badly(im her grandson,live w/her and care for her while im nnot at work)she says she isnt in pain but moans an awful lot,currently i have hospice and other nursing and spiritual help coming in.She is on morphine which i give to her .25-.5ml every4hrs as needed.its gettin tough watching her suffer.the last time she made it to her dialysis was last fri. i know whith the rise in lvls of amonia and others she will halucinate and ,idk its just gettin hard.
    Thanks again

Thanks LindaE for your help with this one. I also did some on line research I will cut and paste a few selected paragraphs.

This information is from www.renalinfo.com

"When kidney failure reaches the stage where dialysis or transplantation is required, refusing such treatment means that the patient will die. This could happen within a few days or weeks, depending on how much kidney function they still have.

Death from kidney failure
    The symptoms that may need to be controlled in the final days before death from kidney failure include nausea, muscle twitching, and breathlessness. Sometimes there is some agitation and confusion. Pain is not usually a serious problem."

I am truly sorry stymie that you have to witness this. You are very special person, I am glad that there is spiritual love around you and your grandmother.

I will keep you and your grandmother in my prayers.

thank you all very much,she passed peacefully last nite around 12:30am while i was holding her hand.She is with her husband now,thank you all very much for your help

God bless you Stymie for sticking with her. I was caregiver for my mother who passed away 3 years ago and it is very tough to watch. But know that your presence and loving care made her final time more comfortable.

stymie,

God Bless you and your family. You are a very special person for being with your grandmother during her final moments.

In this everything depends on luck.There are many persons who survided though they have both kidneys failed.In your dad case may due to old age he does not look well.