Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thank you dear April for your reply.

I have asked my Nephrologist to refer me to nutritionist. He said that is not needed right now. My Triglyceride levels was 67 3 months ago not sure what it is now.. My cardiologist on my recent visit (last week) found I now have hyperparathyroidism. He felt Vit D was not doing its job so put me on calcitriol 25 mg. He also has me taking Tums for calcium. Is this safe for me to use? I do take blood pressure meds and that keeps my BP at a good place.

Can you share about my water intake. I do get up once or twice at night but that is where I have been for a long time. I have experienced dehydration before so that is my concern finding the right balance between that and my kidneys.

Thank you so much its nice to have someone to share with. The last drop in my GFR numbers have scared me but I know God is with me...May you know joy in your day..Mary

Hi. I am 65 with over 30 years being a diabetic and overweight. In the past 2 yrs I have lost 110 lbs, but my GFR goes down anyway. Pam

Pam congrats on loosing that much weight I am sure it has helped with your diabetics. My brother had CKD and I remember him sharing he had to eat less protein, dairy products and took a phosphorus binder. Also low salt and no soda at all.

I too am concerned with the drop of my GFR number so am trying to follow the diet of my brother to see if that helps. I am not on the binder. I have been on a low salt diet and no colas for three years. I wish I could be of help to you. If my diet helps my GFR numbers will let you know. When I get my blood test results I look at any numbers that might be high and find out what foods might help to bring that number down.

How is your blood pressure and do you see a nutritionist? Do take care..may this be a good day for you..Mary

Hi drhair1,

The dieting is good in order not to over stress your kidneys. I think you're on the right track...too much protein is hard on the kidneys.

I've had stage 3 kidney disease for 10 years. Unbeknownst to me, my previous Dr never mentioned this too me 10 years ago. I found out from a horrible Female Dr. at Kaiser due to her rudeness and trying to get me to not ask her questions regarding my breast condition. So approximately 4 years ago my diagnosis was confirmed. One issue I have found is that some Nephrologist do not take Stage 3 kidney disease seriously. I would change Nephrologist if you're not getting what you need. A nutritionist is definitely in order.

I'm hoping you get the necessary treatment and dietary restrictions necessary in order to improve your condition.

I can say from my experience my GFR numbers fluctuate a good amount. My BUN has been going crazy though....from 34 back down to 21. I drink a great deal of water daily, but I also take HCTZ for my blood pressure. HCTZ is a water pill. I swell up pretty good if I do not take this med.

Take care,
    Maggie

Hello Maggie, before my recent bout of congestive heart failure I was stage 3 for about 5 years. My Nephrologist at that time did not stress diet at all. I think he is a great doctor yet I don't know why he neglected to stress diet to me. I'm guessing from your handle that we are both born in 1958. Nice to meet you. Have a nice day and thanks for your comments.

Hi Alice - I was recently diagnosed with CKD 3 and Hyperparathyroidism (Primary). In July I had a radical nephrectomy and the removal of one parathyroid due to a tumor. I had never heard of Hyperparathyroidism...after researching the internet I learned that you can have either Hyperparathyroidism Primary or Secondary. Apparently, Hyperparathyroidism Secondary is treated with medication and Primary has to be surgically removed. Here's the website where I learned all about Parathyroid -> Parathyroid.com Do you know what you have?

I can say after my surgery I had never felt better. I no longer felt tired and depressed, but I had energy!

Thanks for all of the replies. After seeing my Nephrologist last week I found my GFR went from 18 to 24. Still stage four but I at least proved to myself it can be done. Now I am shooting for stage three.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12