Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Can a GFR Improve?

Hello, 5 years ago I learned I had stage 3 CKD. My nephrologist at that time really did not stress proper diet or eliminating my other bad habits. I'm fairly certain most of my problems stemmed from high blood pressure.

I went along for about 5 years at stage 3 and pretty much changed nothing in my life style. About 4 months ago I began having some breathing problems so I quit smoking. My blood pressure went up and my medication stopped working as well as it had been.

I ended up in the hospital with congestive heart failure due to fluid build up which was what actually caused my breathing problems. While in the hospital, they took about 20 lbs off of me and I have lost 20 more lbs since. Loss of 40 lbs altogether. I would like to loose 20 more lbs but I seem to have hit a plateau.

My GFR when coming out of the hospital was 18 and a week after my follow up number is also 18. Stage 4. That was about a month ago.

Since my hospital visit I have been eating like a monk and doing my very best to limit my salt, potassium and phosperos. I am smoke free for 4 months now and I no longer drink Colas or dark drinks of any kind. I am walking 30 minutes almost every morning and the distance I walk has doubled because my strength and stamina has improved quite a bit. My blood pressure seems to be fairly well controlled with the new medication usually in the low 130's over mid 70's range.

While in the hospital, my cardiologist did a heart cath procedure and did not apply a stint or balloon treatment. He says I have only a small bit of blockage in the right side of my heart and is treating it with medication. Although my nephrologist is somewhat discouraging my cardiologist says keeping my blood pressure controlled and improving my heart function may improve my kidney function.

So here is my question, is it possible for my GFR to improve if I continue to stick to this program or am I doomed to eventual stage 5 failure. Age. 55

Thanks to this web-site for all of the diet info. I think I am eating right and I have maintained my weight loss even tough I would like to loose more.

Thank for any information you can provide.
    Last edited by drhair1; 08-11-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: More information & spelling

On May 2014, my GFR was 32. Last Friday it was 34. I will meet my nephrologist tomorrow morning and will ask about GFR improvement.
    Diet has changed from eating everything to no red meat, cut down all seafood. Living by oatmeal and apples daily. Running up and down stairs more often to increase my cardiocircular activity.

Oatmeal and apple help me, I think. I aim at get my weight down to 95-100 LBs ( at this time is 108-110 LBs) and see if everything improve. I am on Lisinopril 10mg per day. and my BP is 100-130/66-92

BUN and creatinine too high ( 1.6) and I still dealing with Triglycerline too. But not so bad, I am full of hope!

Drhair1, I found this posted by Tonia Senior Member!

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Quote Originally Posted by pauleyhome View Post
    On May 2014, my GFR was 32. Last Friday it was 34. I will meet my nephrologist tomorrow morning and will ask about GFR improvement.
    Diet has changed from eating everything to no red meat, cut down all seafood. Living by oatmeal and apples daily. Running up and down stairs more often to increase my cardiocircular activity.

Oatmeal and apple help me, I think. I aim at get my weight down to 95-100 LBs ( at this time is 108-110 LBs) and see if everything improve. I am on Lisinopril 10mg per day. and my BP is 100-130/66-92

BUN and creatinine too high ( 1.6) and I still dealing with Triglycerline too. But not so bad, I am full of hope!
    Thanks Pauley, I have quit red meat as well and eating mostly chicken and veggies. I do eat Tilapia, fish. but not deep fried and no other type of fish. I hope I am OK with that type of fish.

I hope some other folks will reply to this thread.

I was reading Diet Forum and Questions, and found this post:

Re: Diet and symptoms question

I didn't find out that I had CKD until I was stage 3. My GFR was 46. I felt really lost and dpressed when I found out. I was a big blow to me. Having to change the way you eaten all your life is hard but you can get used to it. I have researched CKD here and on line. You have found a good place to come and ask questions. This forum has helped me lots to adjust to my new life. There are people here with all stages of CKD. Feel free to ask questions. I think the more you know about CKD the better. I have managed to raise my GFR to 55 in just over 1 year. As for the different diets, my husband and I can't eat the same things becasuse he is watching his sugar. He's kind of like your husband if you don't talk about it it well go away. But it doesn't. Talking really helps me. So if he wont' talk about it I come here and talk to the people here. I think your son and daughter in law are really trying to be supportive. It's more than what a fot of young people would do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

drhair1, It seems you are doing all the right things, being proactive with your health care. I don't think one can answer yes or no to your question about improving your GFR more. Your Neph. should have a better idea. What I have learned though, it's common for people to remain stable in stage 3 and 4 for many years. I have seen peoples kidney function worsen with other health issue, then bounce back once treated. I would hope for the best but be prepared in case you need to make decisions regarding dialysis. Talk to your Drs. about all your concerns.
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Agree with Tonia..for drhair1....GFR can take a long time to go down if you are being proactive. Mine took over 15 years to go down and I was very proactive. No salt, cutting down on sodas, red meats and tired to loose weight. I did lose a total of 40 lbs and gained 10 back when I got closer to dialysis. Also, I was down to 50 GFR when I changed my eating habits and it went up to 70 for a year or two. My PKD took over than and I had no chance to recover. The Polycystic disease was covering my kidney's so it could not filter impurities. Because of how proactive I was and still have a positive attitude and refuse to give up, my Neph. is proud of me and thinks I am his star patient. lol. I just know feeling sorry for myself will just make me unhappy and unproductive. Yes, I have bad days where I just sit and do a lot of reading, crochetin, knitting or am on the computer but most days I have some energy. I still clean the house although not perfect, I go camping each weekend and only miss the fact I can't swim in a lake, and I go on vacations and enjoy myself. There is a dialysis center in most places where I go. In fact, there is on a half mile away from my sons in another state. Keep up the good work of being proactive and keep a positive mind set no matter what. I pray that God will give you the strength and blessings he has given me. Of course another added blessing God gave me was a husband, son and a best friend who are counselors, how can I be anything else but positive most of the time. lol Wish everyone else on this site could have support like me but I know they don't. That is why I put God first.

My creatin(sp?) levels have dropped due to diet change with the help of a great nutritionist. Best thing I ever did. I lost weight and lowered my creatin level.
    Good luck! :-)

My Creatinine level has increased and my GFR went from 33 to 30 and I am now anemic. I have been on a good diet for 3 years. Less salt and protein/dairy products. More fresh vegetables and fruit..turkey and chicken. I also walk one mile a day. I have problems with sleeping.
    Can you share your diet please.
    Also I read do drink more water and others say reduce your fluid intake...any suggestions?

I am 81 and had a stroke of the brain a year ago I am good shape with that. My cardiologist suggest a more social life would be very helpful.
    I lost my husband to Alzheimer's 9 years ago..I was his care giver.

Thanks to anyone for your suggestions..so many brave souls here! : )

Bless..Mary

Hi Mary,
    Could your Nephrologist refer you to nutritionist? How is your Triglyceride level? Fluid retention can be harmful, so your doctor will be able to see to that if you need to limit fluid intake.
    I think being active and having social life help us more vibrant in health and mind, Mary. Many members here are kind-hearted folk, that is so true!

April

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast