Subscribe to this Thread…

Possible to have CKD and normal GFR?

Hello all,
    Three months ago lab work revealed I had a GFR of 55 and creatinine of 1.2. I'm a petite, thin, 46 yr old woman with a history of high blood pressure (preeclampsia too with both pregnancies). Over the past several years, I've had fluid retention and visible blood in my urine, on and off. When I've been to the doctor, there was only trace amounts of blood and protein detected at different times. My latest blood work shows my GFR has currently risen to 97. I'm still concerned I have an issue though-- thru testing my right kidney measures 9.3 cm (left 10.5)-- Dr. says this is normal. Looking on internet 9.3 seems small? The most worrisome thing to me though, is that since late April my eyes have been very puffy. The puffiness is worse in the morning, but never goes back to normal. I cannot get used to my face in the mirror; the change is dramatic and getting worse. I've been tested for thyroid, which is completely normal. I get headaches, worse in the morning (but also evening), which began at the same time as my eye puffiness. I have new obvious fluid retention in my lower legs, but I am not as disturbed by this as I am by my eyes. There is also mild flank pain on my right side. I've called my nephrologist's nurse about this, and she said that it's likely only muscle pain. I feel way more tired than I did months ago. My current labs look fine though. Thoughts?

Hello Penelope28,

The swelling in your lower legs and the puffiness around your eyes is consistent with fluid retention and kidney function that is not removing sufficient amounts of fluid. Your GFR and creatinine do not reflect the degree of kidney function loss that produces fluid retention.

You may be able to resolve the condition by reducing your sodium intake. Have a renal function blood panel conducted to see if your sodium value is up. If you are consuming a good deal of salty foods, this can explain some or all of the fluid retention.

Thanks for your response stump54. I've dramatically reduced my sodium intake since getting the puffy eyes. I'm sure my sodium intake is very low. My last sodium was 139, which is well within normal range based on what my lab report says. Looking at my eyes, honestly, I feel a bit frightened.

Hi Penelope,

Regarding the puffiness and swelling of the feet. I have the same problem, the am is the worst regarding the under eye puffiness. The GFR fluctuates, but I had the same occurrence for some reason my GFR jumped to 89 when the last 10 years my levels have been between 43 and 55. You may want to have the GFR tested again within the next 3 months...don't be alarmed if the number returns to your original number of 55.

As far as your smaller kidney, I have an appointment next week with a nephrologist for the same thing. Both of my kidneys are smaller than normal. I'll let you know what the outcome is. I've been doing some research regarding smaller kidneys...one thing that always pops up on my search is Renal Artery Stenosis...the renal artery becomes blocked with cholesterol build up just like the heart arteries. I hope this information doesn't alarm you...it's considered informational and something you may want to discuss with your physician.

Take care and my you find the answers you seek.
    Maggie