Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    hi tonia. i agree with what you said. i have been trying since december 2012 to slow stage 3 my GFR keeps going down 47 in dec, 41 in april and 39 june nobody seems to know what i am doing wrong.any ideas? thanks. pam

hi platoon. PLEASE tell me how to raise GFR? i went from 47 in dec, 41 in april and 49 now in june.PLEASE i need help. thank you

Hello neilrogovin,

The variation you have seen in GFR could be attributed soley to your level of hydration at the time of the blood draw used to determine your GFR. I had similar experiences also with my creatinine levels and when I discussed the situation with my nephrologist, he confessed that hydration, which literally loads the blood with fluid and dilutes it, will produce improved GFR and creatinine numbers. You may game your labs with this practice for the short term but what is more important are the trends over time in your kidney function test results, e.g. over the span of 6 months has your GFR moved from 50 to 45 or from 50 to 40 or a lower number.

The trend can help you predict when and if you will reach Stage V ESRD, generally GFR's below 12 or 15, and how much time you have before you will have to start dialysis or obtain a kidney transplant.

Realize that kidney function does not always decline on a linear (straight line) basis. It can flatten out and stay at the same level for in indeterminate period before it starts declining again. Depending on the cause of your loss of kidney function, there may be opportunities for dietary or life style changes that will slow the progressive loss of kidney function. Monthly monitoring of kidney function only makes sense whe your GFR hits the low to mid 20's.

Hi Pam!
    I was put on Losartan for proteinuria. It isn't the cause of my S3CKD.
    However, I am currently being tested to see if it is causing some other difficulties.

adnrewnappi. Losartan was what I took for years until I got into stage 4 and it started affecting my blood count.

Hi Pam,

My GFR fluctuates between 47 and 55. Creatinine level fluctuates between 1.2-1.4. Currently I diet mainly. Losarten gave me terrible muscle cramps, so I'm off this medication. I only take HCTZ for my Blood Pressure. Unfortunately my BP is starting to rise.

How about you Pam, are you on meds only or diet as well.

Take care,
    Maggie

Prior to any scheduled creatinine test, you should attempt to "standardize" the testing conditions if you want to avoid creatinine fluctuations that are not necessarily related to the health of your kidneys.

Avoid eating any meat or fish from vertebrates for a day or so prior to the blood draw. The creatinine contents of the cooked muscles can raise your serum creatinine levels. Purportedly the muscle on invertebrates (shrimp, scallops, etc.) is relatively creatine and hence creatinine free once cooked, but testing on myself suggests this isn't so. Eggs, milk products, and legumes should be your main protein sources during your "meat fast". Needless to say, avoid creatine supplements which would be converted to creatinine by your muscles before the blood test if you are on a body building program.

Avoid intense exercise prior to the blood draw for a few days. This would include both strength training and intense aerobic exercises. Lighter exercises such as walking at a brisk pace shouldn't significantly affect serum creatinine levels if you have been doing them regularly as part of a routine program.

Try to maintain a consistent hydration weight prior to the blood draws. Although excessive hydration differences such as plus or minus several kilos of water weight can affect creatinine levels very slightly, you will see much larger variations in albumin, BUN levels, and electrolytes than creatinine if the hydration levels aren't consistently maintained immediately prior to the test draw.

These pre-testing procedures are not gaming the test, but are similar to blood tests that require fasting for 24-hours before testing in order to standardize the results. You would be looking for trends over time between test results that have the same pre-test preparation conditions.

I know a little bit about creatinine testing. I've had about 30/year over the last 4-5 years.

Those seem like perfectly normal lab results. Creatinine is perfectly normal. and 60 and above is considered normal. You're only slightly below that.

1.2 is not a high creatinine level. It falls within the normal levels. People often times forget, A persons body size has a direct effect on the levels. My creatinine levels were stable at 1.5 and my dr. expressed that it was higher than normal cause of my bodybuilding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12