Subscribe to this Thread…

Nephrocalcinosis diagnosed...no reason known yet...

I thought I was having gallbladder problems (I still think I am...), so I had blood work done, which showed normal levels of everything. The subtle, constant dull ache in my lower back and sides persisted, so we ran an ultrasound , which came back clear, and then a CT scan (which saw the tube injected the dye into me break loose and spray the machine with fluid...and very, very little dye made it into me) which showed calcification of both of my kidney's (Nephrocalcinosis). At this point, I went to a Nephrologist, who ordered a 24 hour urine test (haven't receive results yet), some more blood work, and basic urine test (I'll be seeing her next week for those results), but as of now, I still don't know WHY I developed this in the first place. Her advice to me was "It's not serious, so don't worry about it, and eat a low sodium diet/drink a lot of water". I've read about Nephro enough to know that it's something that will never, ever go away with the state I have it in, but I'm also aware that it can cause some serious problems.

I have been eating a much more restrictive diet; Low sodium (trying to hit 1400mg or below a day), low phosphorus, and low potassium. I've lost weight (around 25lbs now), and I don't drink or smoke. I don't have high blood pressure, I don't have diabetes, and NO kidney disease runs in my mothers side of the family (I know nothing about my fathers side, nor does my mother). I'm just...baffled as to what caused this, and absolutely terrified that if a cause isn't found and remedied, that it's going to put me in the ground. I do have some anxiety, and have been under significant stress for the past couple of years, and before the diet, I didn't eat very sensibly and gained quite a bit of weight.

for those with some savvy , here's the original blood test results with relevant bits to kidney disease(These were done in Mid January, but don't have the new information yet) (bold are those I'm concerned about)

Bilirubin,Direct- 0.18 (0.00-0.40mg/dl)
    Bilirubin, Indirect- 0.42 (0.10-0.80mg/dl)
    Amlyase,Serum- 40(31-124 U/L)
    Lipase,Serum-25(0-59 U/L)
    eGFR 100 (>59 mL/min/1.73)
    Calcium,Serum- 9.5 (8.7-10.2 mg/dL)
    Glucose,Serum- 79 (65-99 mg/dL)
    BUN- 17 (6-20 mg/dL)
    Protein,Total,Serum- 7.9 (6.0-8.5 g/dl)
    Albumin, Serum 4.4 (3.5-5.5 g/dl)
    Bilirubin, Total 0.6 (0.0-1.2 mg/dL)
    Alkaline Phosphates, S- 86 (39-117 IU/L)
    Potassium,Serum 4.7 (3.5-5.2 mmol/L)
    Sodium, Serum-140 (134-144 mmol/L)

Choloride, Serum (97-108 mmol/L)
    Creatinine, Serum- 1.02 (0.76-1.27 mg/dL)
    BUN/Creatinine, Total- 17 (8-19)

Golbulin, Total - 3.5 (1.5-4.5 g/dL)
    A/G Ratio- 1.3 (1.1-2.5)

Everything checks out fine in those parameters...but some of them are pushing the high normals.

GFR of 100 means your kidney's were functioning at 100% in Jan. When it is down to GFR 15% the neph is ready to start dialysis preparation by deciding what type you want to do. Read more on this site but being 100% that is good. You are within range for all your bold letter concerns. Bun/creatinine tells the amount of impurities in the blood. Drinking lots of water will clean out the kidney's and help keep impurities out of the blood. The diet is good but be careful not to go under potassium levels or phosphate levels. Those are needed in the body. Protein isn't bad either. Relax and wait for the new results at this point is good advise from the doctor. Getting upset is not good health for you. Praying all goes well. At least you will know is two weeks.

Thank you very much for your input I've been trying to stay within what seems to be an acceptable level for Phosphates (I read roughly 700mg for an adult male), and potassium. You're right though, being riddled with anxiety is not going to help anything out any. The constant feeling like crap doesn't help, but I have been getting a lot better about it

Thank you again, I'll throw another reply up when I get my new results.

ses.
    Last edited by JamesPlagued; 05-22-2014 at 11:13 PM.

Well I just received results from my April test, and I'm fairly confused.

eGFR: 96 (>59 mL)
    Calcium , Serum: 9.9 (8.7-10.2)
    Glucose, Serum: 93 (65-99)
    BUN: 9 (6-20)
    Protein, Total Serum: N/A (she didn't run this)
    Potassium, Serum: 5.0 (3.5-5.2)
    Sodium, Serum: 143 (134-144)
    Chloride, Serum: 101 (97-108)
    Creatinine, Serum 1.05 (0.76-1.27)
    BUN/Creatinine: 9 (8-19)

Now, it was a different lab this time, so there could be some grievances there...but what could have caused a shift in EVERYTHING? The only thing that changed in a good way is my Bun and Bun/Creatinine. I'm on a low sodium (1500mg) diet which I'm usually pretty good about (so color me confused as to why my sodium, serum went up :/), I drink 3-4 litres of water a day, and I tend to keep away from a lot of sweets. I HAVE been eating more white rice/white bread products than I used to as of late, as well as heavier protein meals...could that have swayed the numbers in any way? Normal fluctuations? I'm just concerned now that a lot of these are pushing the higher side of what's okay.

My nephro gave me very little to work with ("Everything is fine", literal answer without explaining any of the changes in my numbers...will be getting new dr soon), so I figured I'd see if anyone here had any guesses.

Hi James

It's very common for your labs to fluctuate some. Your results of these tests look good, still within the normal range. Many labs will have "normal ranges" slightly different also. Your Creatinine is the important number to the Drs. when diagnosing kidney disease. Other blood tests help confirm CKD.

You have the right to ask questions of your Neph. If he's blowing you off, I'd change Drs.
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP