Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by louzawy View Post
    just got diagnosed with stage 3 also a newbie scared and anxious cant sleep worried if i am drinking plenty of water also on meds for chronic pain and depression have lower back pain alot and measuring my urine everday. I have muscle cramps wondering if that is with the ckd confused dont see a nephologist until july 23 my family phys. is the one who diagnosed me had to get a cat scan found out my kidneys were enlarge. Now just waiting to see what the neph. doc. says. I have done some research on the foods we are allowed to eat which I am a sweet tooth and chips kinda of person. So I am trying to eat healthy so I can go down to stage 2 my family phys. said drink plent of water and thats what I have been doing. I need to stay away from my chips ahoy and oreos. So I eat angle food cake and whipcream fat free with strawberries and i use the nutura sugar hopefully thats ok. Plus gramcrackers low fat, and icecream sherbertand of course chicken chicken and more chicken with mrs. dash seasoning. And I just read on one of the sites you can drink root beer.
    My Nephrologist said that the muscle cramps can be related to too much phosphorus in the blood. My doc says all commercial cereals are packed with phosphorus. The only dairy product he said I could eat "with abandon" is cottage cheese. I don't know why, but I try to watch my consumption of that too because there is sodium in cottage cheese. Breakstone makes a low-sodium small curd cottage cheese. [Too much phosphorus usually is the culprit if you have itchy skin as well!]

My Nephrologist says that I can have 2 qts of liquids a day (and foods with high content of liquid count!), plus whatever amount I eliminate in the toilet. So "drink lots of water" is quite vague and really not accurate! You put more stress on the kidneys to have too much water intake (according to what I have read and what my Nephrologist says).

My sister is a Therapeutic Massage Therapist and she says to put a bar of Ivory soap (with the paper removed) under your bottom sheet near the bottom of the bed. I don't know if it works or if my change of diet contributed, but I don't wake up with terrible leg cramps since I took her advice!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by neilrogovin View Post
    Hi Kathi. Pam here with stage 3. Yes it is extremely hard to diet. I find I M hungry all the time. HX to give up broccoli (loads of potassium) and restricted protein. Hang in there,try to be positive.
    Pam: When I was first diagnosed with CKD4 (I didn't know I had CKD 1-3!), I went to the extreme and cut out everything that had high potassium, but have since learned that we need SOME potassium, so I am conservative about my intake. I would eat broccoli, but not as much. My Nephrologist says I can have 2,000 mg of potassium a day (2,000 phosphorus and 1,000 mg of salt). I use the DaVita Food Analyzer a lot to find out how much of those minerals are in certain foods. I can't say I've had a banana since I was diagnosed, but I would take a bite or two if I was offered. I don't buy bananas because I am single and have no one in my home to give the rest of the banana to and hate wasting food!

I hate the restricted protein too... as well as the salt thing. My Nephrologist now says "no salt, no salt" whenever I leave from my appointments with him. But then he says to have chicken soup or a Chick-fil-a sandwich if my blood pressure goes too low, so go figure!

I wish that all the kidney patients would unite and petition the FDA to require that ALL COMPANIES label the amount of phosphorus in foods in the Nutrition Listing! It is currently not required by the FDA to list it.

Do make an appoinment with an RD - will help tremendously

Not to be biased here (I am a Dietitian) But do make an appointment with a Renal Dietitian? Nephrologists are great, but limited in their nutrition knowledge. A Renal RD will be able to work out exactly how much of what you need, which will probably give you more freedom and variety in your daily diet. Most food can fit, as long as you know the amounts you can have and how to work it in.

Hi! I am stage 4 with low potassium restrictions as well. It can be challenging. I keep the small baby bel cheeses in my refrigerator for a quck grab. I love apples and they are low potassium. One thing I can tell you is to take the low potassium very seriously!! I loved orange juice and bananas, potato chips and kiwi, but they are no longer a part of my life. Find other things that you enjoy that are on your lists and then EAT them within reason. I am not pre-diabetic so I don't know about the sugar part. Someone else can probably help you more on that. I do eat a higher potassium treat (with drs. permission) every once in a while. This week it was a small ice cream cone from the Dairy Queen. I don't keep chocolate or high potassium foods in the house so I am not tempted. My husband takes those types of foods to his "area" in the basement, and since I am seldom down there, it isn't a problem. Try to think of it not as what you can't have, but what you can!! I have found new founds that I didn't really think I liked that are low potassium. It takes time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12