Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just diagnosed with stage four kidney failure. Newbie here; and feeling overwhelmed!

Had stage 3 for several years and my doctor seemed very unconcerned, his only advice was "Just make reasonable choices." I'm borderline diabetic, have a long cardiac history (2 heart attacks, bypasses, etc.) was once morbidly obese but had lap band surgery and a 94 pound loss, etc., long list of medical problems. Now suddenly I'm in stage 4 and everyone including me is upset! I saw a renal dietician last week who gave me mountains of material to read, and I'm wading through it. But what strikes me first is What CAN I eat??

Protein is 25 to 35, no salt, low potassium, you know the drill. I've seen some of the recipes and think some of them will work, but what do you eat on an average day? Breakfast, lunch and dinner? Are there any convenience foods like a bag of chips or some cookies to snack on? Those were the days! Can anyone throw some ideas my way? Thank you in advance.

Hello Kathi,

I have been on dialysis for several years now, I know how you feel. I asked myself the same question about what can I eat. a typical day for me includes eggs and fruit for breakfast, meat salad (tuna, chicken, ham) and baked meat and tossed salad for dinner. If i need a snack during the day usually fruit and in the evening air popped popcorn. I hope this helps !

Feel free to email me and know you are not alone!

seneca_beep@yahoo.com

Hi kathi, Hope that today starts on a good tone. I was diagnosed with stage 4 in 2010 after a stay at the hospital for diverticulitis. Wow!!! That was a shock. Back to you; I will give you site that will show you things that you should and should not eat or eat in moderation due to the high phosphorous and or potassium content. The kidney is unable to process phosphorous and or potassium. Keep away or eat in moderation with binders like Renvela, Calcium acetate or if the dr, has not yet provided the pills take ant-acid pills just before you eat (pills to suck up all those unpleasant phosphorous). There are things that I enjoy eating every once in a while that I am not suppose to eat, but as long as I only eat them once a blue moon and in moderation; I kind of get my fix. It's like Chinese food, I love it, but got to just get it once every one to two months and of course, in moderation. I skip the fried rice for white rice and eat the vegetable with meat or sea food with that tasty black bean sauce. Yummmy! Hope that this will help you get the info you are looking for. [SIZE=5]http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/phosphorus.cfm

Hi! I am a DaVita teammate, and see this problem ALL OF THE TIME!!! There are protein bars, smoothie recipes (often use protein powder, I like the vanilla), and even a Dialysis section at some pharmacies (our walgreens has a small one) that has small bags of chips that are low phosphorus and high protein, and only a dollar for a small bag, so not much more expensive than normal ones. I do not know your specific restrictions, but I know that many of our patients were psyched to learn that they can have root beer!!! I pray that you have the strength to make this lifestyle change, if you need anything we are here for you! It's not a "spill" im at home, off of work, and on here because I have been there (not kidney disease but I weighed 335 pounds and had to diet fast!), so I try to help as I can Your team is there for YOU, so if you go to a clinic ask what other patients do, talk to them during treatment if you area hemo patient, and welcome to our community!

One for all!!
    Brandy Graham

Thank you for your replies, it's comforting to hear back from folks who are familiar with some of the issues. Tonight we went to Olive Garden
    for dinner (we had a gift cert). I tried my best to concentrate on the salad (no tomatoes) and also skip the marinara sauce. It's a learning experience,
    I did okay, but wondered "What do you do if you eat sensibly and are still hungry?" What I did was eat my leftovers as soon as I got home.
    Hopefully I'll do better next time!

What CAN I eat? Wow, its nice to see someone else feels that way too. I struggle soooo bad with trying to be good with food, it's very stressful

just got diagnosed with stage 3 also a newbie scared and anxious cant sleep worried if i am drinking plenty of water also on meds for chronic pain and depression have lower back pain alot and measuring my urine everday. I have muscle cramps wondering if that is with the ckd confused dont see a nephologist until july 23 my family phys. is the one who diagnosed me had to get a cat scan found out my kidneys were enlarge. Now just waiting to see what the neph. doc. says. I have done some research on the foods we are allowed to eat which I am a sweet tooth and chips kinda of person. So I am trying to eat healthy so I can go down to stage 2 my family phys. said drink plent of water and thats what I have been doing. I need to stay away from my chips ahoy and oreos. So I eat angle food cake and whipcream fat free with strawberries and i use the nutura sugar hopefully thats ok. Plus gramcrackers low fat, and icecream sherbertand of course chicken chicken and more chicken with mrs. dash seasoning. And I just read on one of the sites you can drink root beer.

louzawy,'sounds like you are doing the right things you may need a little more potassium for the cramps,bannana,orange juice,kiwi ect.hope you do well,if possible do PD dialysis you will like it better,

Hi Kathi. Pam here with stage 3. Yes it is extremely hard to diet. I find I M hungry all the time. HX to give up broccoli (loads of potassium) and restricted protein. Hang in there,try to be positive.

Quote Originally Posted by BrandyGraham View Post
    Hi! I am a DaVita teammate, and see this problem ALL OF THE TIME!!! There are protein bars, smoothie recipes (often use protein powder, I like the vanilla), and even a Dialysis section at some pharmacies (our walgreens has a small one) that has small bags of chips that are low phosphorus and high protein, and only a dollar for a small bag, so not much more expensive than normal ones. I do not know your specific restrictions, but I know that many of our patients were psyched to learn that they can have root beer!!! I pray that you have the strength to make this lifestyle change, if you need anything we are here for you! It's not a "spill" im at home, off of work, and on here because I have been there (not kidney disease but I weighed 335 pounds and had to diet fast!), so I try to help as I can Your team is there for YOU, so if you go to a clinic ask what other patients do, talk to them during treatment if you area hemo patient, and welcome to our community!

One for all!!
    Brandy Graham
    I worry about advice about diet from people on Dialysis.... or sections of pharmacies that have Dialysis-friendly foods. The "high protein" is paramount for people on Dialysis, but not for people with Stages 3 and 4 CKD. High protein is not a good thing! The kidneys (without the benefit of the "blood cleansing" effects of Dialysis) cannot handle high proteins. I have seen an average around 4 oz. of protein a day (that is about the size of a chicken thigh!) for CKD4 people.

I will have to ask my Nephrologist about the Root Beer. I thought I was not to have ANY dark-colored sodas (I don't drink sodas at all, and have not for years, but if I wanted one "in a blue moon," I would choose root beer).

Be careful what you read on here and try to get a Nephrologist with whom you feel very comfortable asking any question of!

With caution,
    Marcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast