Subscribe to this Thread…

Freaked out and nervous

Hello all,

I am 47 & Male. I went for an annual physical and after they got the blood work results I was referred to a neph because there was protein in my urine. My blood work showed EGFR of 105, Bun of 12 & Creatinine of 0.83. The neph wanted a 24 hour urine and another set of blood work. I had an ultrasound that came back fine I am freaking out while waiting for the results. I can't even think straight.
    Last edited by brenglas; 03-20-2014 at 09:35 AM.

GFR of 105% kidney is over 100 %. Your Bun and creatinine is also low. I would not be freaking out but praise God. My GFR when starting dialysis 4 months ago was 12% of kidney function, with Bun over 68 and creatinine 3.9. Go to http://kidneyschool.org and learn more and read more on this site. A second test is usually done when numbers don't match. Also, my bother has protein in urine and isn't anywhere near kidney failure and that is over 15 years. Hope this helps you not freak out and just be patient. Hard to do but possible.

Hi, Freaking out is the worst thing to do. One big component is keeping your blood pressure in check, and staying nervous will not help. I too was very recently diagnosed. My Creatine is at 3.5. Stay calm, there is good care out there for people. Staying calm is the most important thing you can do. God Bless and have Faith.

Thank you all for the responses. I am trying to remain calm. My neph should have the results Monday or Tuesday. Does the fact that my GFR is still high mean that this was caught early or does the protein in my urine mean that it wasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by brenglas View Post
    Thank you all for the responses. I am trying to remain calm. My neph should have the results Monday or Tuesday. Does the fact that my GFR is still high mean that this was caught early or does the protein in my urine mean that it wasn't?
    The protein in urine simply shows that, protein in your urine. If your GFR is 105 that means you have 105% Kidney function. To me it seems very early stages of IGA Nephropathy based on everything you've shared, but your Neph will explain in detail after the 24 hour urine collection. I was diagnosed this year with Stage 4. #'s are Creatinine 3.1+, BUN mid 40's, and GFR 22. It took 25 years for me to get to this stage.