Subscribe to this Thread…

Starfruit Warning!! Do Not Eat It It Will Kill You!

Starfruit Warning!! Do Not Eat It It Will Kill You!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
    most people do not know this and my unit only has a "post-it" not size paper taped to a buletin board where no one walks by- so no one has seen this warning.

Also, my doctor, dietician and anyone else has not mentioned this.
    I just remeber seeing this warning last week and it reminded me to go online and see if it was really true???

Wow! What I found is really scary.!!!

http://starbulletin.com/2003/04/28/features/health.html

Health Options

Alan Titchenal
    & Joannie Dobbs

Monday, April 28, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kidney patients
    should avoid star fruit

Star fruit is a decorative and refreshing treat and, for most of us, a healthy delicacy. But for some people with impaired kidney function, the star fruit (also known as carambola) can be deadly.

Researchers from Brazil and Taiwan are studying why star fruit causes serious life-threatening reactions to some kidney patients.

Question: What are the symptoms of star fruit intoxication?

Answer: Typical symptoms occur within one to five hours and include persistent hiccups, nausea, vomiting, agitation, insomnia, mental confusion and convulsions. Death sometimes results. A study conducted at the University of Sao Paulo found that hiccups were experienced in 30 of 32 cases, and vomiting in about two-thirds. Even though mental confusion and convulsions were less common, these symptoms are more likely to be associated with death.

Q: Does star fruit cause kidney problems?

A: No. Star fruit intoxication only occurred if some degree of kidney failure already existed. For most of those affected, kidney decline was extensive enough that they were being treated by blood dialysis, although in four cases kidney problems had not reached that severity. There is no evidence of any problem for people with normal kidney function.

Q: What substance in star fruit causes this problem?

A: The tangy tartness in star fruit comes from high levels of oxalic acid (or oxalate). Weakened kidneys can be damaged if high levels of oxalate accumulate in the organ. But it is likely that another toxin in star fruit is also problematic since common foods such as spinach contain even greater levels of oxalic acid and do not seem to be associated with this severe problem.

The Brazilian researchers think that star fruit contains a substance toxic to nerves (a neurotoxin). People with healthy kidneys probably clear this toxin from the blood quickly and experience no problem. Without efficient kidney function, the combined effect of oxalate and a neurotoxin may deliver a double whammy.

Q: How much star fruit needs to be consumed to produce toxic effects in kidney patients?

A: As little as one half of a fruit and less than eight ounces of star fruit juice has caused serious symptoms. One person died from eating just one fruit.

Current medical treatment for star fruit intoxication is prompt kidney dialysis. Anyone who experiences hiccups, vomiting or other unusual symptoms after eating star fruit should seek medical attention as soon as possible.

On the positive side, star fruit lovers with normal kidneys should be able to continue enjoying the delectable treat without concern.

Health Events

Alan Titchenal, Ph.D., C.N.S. and Joannie Dobbs, Ph.D., C.N.S. are
    nutritionists in the Department of Human Nutrition, Food and Animal
    Sciences, College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources, UH-Manoa.
    Dr. Dobbs also works with the University Health Services and prepares
    the nutritional analyses marked with an asterisk in this section

Exclamation Re: Starfruit Warning!! Do Not Eat It It Will Kill You!

I remember I saw a poster on the wall at my dialysis unit and I asked about it. This was back in 2003 that I saw it. They didn't tell me, I read the poster and asked.

So many people do not know about this fruit that it is one to stay away from or why. Probably many units just figure the odds of you trying that fruit are not common enough to be a problem worth discussing but the side effects of it are terrible.

Well at that time I was dating a man from Minnesota who liked Star Fruit and saw it at my store and got some and wanted me to try it. I remember telling him I better not because some fruits conflict with my health and meds. I remember him saying, "I am sure one won't kill you! Geeze" and rolling his eyes.

Then I read this:

Starfruit is hazardous to dialysis patients

Starfruit, also called carambola, looks pretty sliced in a fruit salad. But if you are on dialysis, research shows that starfruit can cause agitation, confusion, and even death. So enjoy low and moderate potassium fruit—but avoid starfruit!

http://www.kidneyschool.org/mod_09/mod09_25p.shtml

http://www.uninet.edu/cin2003/conf/mmoyses/mmoyses.html
    Angie
    Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search
    I will be walking a Kidney Walk in Ontario Canada Sept 18th 2011

• Peritoneal Dialysis = 4 yrs
    • Hemo Dialysis (in center) = 2 yrs
    • 2 kidney transplants = 1990 - 2001 & 2007 to present

Re: Starfruit Warning!! Do Not Eat It It Will Kill You!

hmmm... I actually had half a star fruit last night... I feel okay so far

Perhaps its some other prior kidney-related complication that predisposes one to having nephrotoxic reaction to this fruit

It seems it is more of a risk for people at later stages of CKD, though cases of nephrotoxicity have been recorded in people with normal renal functions... it seems more prevelant in already-at-dialysis patients.

Hmm.. I am still not clear as to why this isnt usually mentioned by the doctors and/or dieticians if it is as 'dangerous' as they say for renally impaired patients.

I will read more on this and get back to you guys.

Hmm...is there a way I can link PDF files to a post such as this? I have few research articles re: starfruit and kidney function that I wanted to put up for other davitans to read

I am so shocked of this fact about star fruit. Are there other foods that are toxic to ckd patients?

Thanks, Tonia

Question Re: Starfruit Warning!! Do Not Eat It It Will Kill You!

It was actually posted up on the wall at my unit when I was on Peritoneal Dialysis and I noticed the sign at training. They never actually pointed it out and I never actually saw it posted in Hemo Dialysis. With how serious it is (I thought at first it was high potassium?) you would think they would make sure EVERYONE knows ..

As far as I know, that is the worst one of them all. But then you have to wonder .. what else have we NOT been told about.

You can only link images off site (not upload images) and you can't upload pdf's or anything actually. You can link to pdf's hosted elsewhere however.

I am glad actually that DaVita does NOT allow uploads because spammers are attracted here and allowing uploads allows malicious content to be uploaded. So even though it seems to be an annoyance to not be able to upload them, it actually keeps you safer.

Here are 2 links:

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/13/3/570.pdf

http://www.pkdiet.com/pdf/starfruit.pdf
    Angie
    Kidney Korner • Dialysis Ethics Forum • Kidney Pix • Awareness Shirts • KidneySpace • Donor Search

Hi Angie,
    Indeed, I too wonder what else *they* havent told us about yet. I think I am becoming food'o'phobic now :S like, I now find myself scrutinizing everything single thing and ingredient that I never cared about before or even knew that they existed ! scary stuff *bite nails*

So, here it goes, I tried to upload some recent (~2009) research publications on starfruit nephrotoxicity on googledocs and see if I can link the pdf files here.

Star fruit poisoning is potentially life-threatening in patients with moderate chronic renal failure:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...NGFlZWFm&hl=en

Star fruit intoxication successfully treated by charcoal haemoperfusion and intensive haemofiltration:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...Mzk0OWU1&hl=en

Happy Reading

PS: Hope all is well at your end!

Quote Originally Posted by samcanbe View Post
    Hi Angie,
    So, here it goes, I tried to upload some recent (~2009) research publications on starfruit nephrotoxicity on googledocs and see if I can link the pdf files here.

Star fruit poisoning is potentially life-threatening in patients with moderate chronic renal failure:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...NGFlZWFm&hl=en

Star fruit intoxication successfully treated by charcoal haemoperfusion and intensive haemofiltration:

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...Mzk0OWU1&hl=en

Happy Reading

PS: Hope all is well at your end!
    I was able to view and even download them Thanks! Those links work wonderfully! Great idea using Google to host your files!
    Angie

Thanks very much for this warning. In the future I'll ask about the composition of mixed fruit salads.

Do you know of any other tropical fruits that cause illness in patients with CRI? (CKD).

Peachrose

Exclamation Re: Starfruit Warning!! Do Not Eat It It Will Kill You!

I have a Starfruit tree in my yard that produces a thousand or more fruits a year.
    we have grown to enjoy them little buggers, Thanks for the heads up!!!!!

I wonder about the loquats..? or Lychee..?