Subscribe to this Thread…

Is my Doctor accurate or is he making it up as he goes along?

Question- I was diagnosed with stage 3A.I put myself on a kidney diet.Low salt,low sugar,low potassium low phosphorus and I was checked again 3 months later and then again six months later.My EGFR was 60.The 3rd time that I went this Doctor told me that If the EGFR is under 60 the lab results will give you a number,but if it is over 60 it will still say 60,because at my age 60 is not considered something to worry about.Sounded screwy to me,but I thought that one of you more experienced hands would know if this Doctor knew what he was talking about.He said that since I'm 73 I'm allowed more room for lower numbers.This part makes sense to me Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by rjgordon40 View Post
    Question- I was diagnosed with stage 3A.I put myself on a kidney diet.Low salt,low sugar,low potassium low phosphorus and I was checked again 3 months later and then again six months later.My EGFR was 60.The 3rd time that I went this Doctor told me that If the EGFR is under 60 the lab results will give you a number,but if it is over 60 it will still say 60,because at my age 60 is not considered something to worry about.Sounded screwy to me,but I thought that one of you more experienced hands would know if this Doctor knew what he was talking about.He said that since I'm 73 I'm allowed more room for lower numbers.This part makes sense to me Thank You
    I am 57 and at 65 GFR so I would say that your doctor has a good point, I think that you have pretty good function for a 73 year old person.
    Goldminer
    CKD-Stage 2
    non-diabetic, controlled HBP
    GFR-65, Diagnosed August, 2010

You are both well in the "pink" as they say. My GFR was 9 when I started HHD training and with it hemodialysis. I wasn't sick, and had none of the symptoms of kidney failure - no fluid retention, adequate urine production, adequate appetite, etc. I had assimilated a high level of blood toxicity, perhaps not to the level as Alien, whose blood would burn through 5 or 6 floors of a space craft. I probably could have stayed at a GFR of 9 for several months or even declined further and gone on without dialysis, but I had agreed to take a training spot and had enough vacation to take partial days in the afternoon to support the multi-week HHD training regimen. It will be a very long time before either of you will need to make plans for any form of dialysis or a kidney transplant.