Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After dialysis

After dialysis

After dialysis i feel always tired and some times have kramps

..sometimes, I listen to The Cramps.

Everybody's post dialysis treatment is a little different but since the 6 years i have been on dialysis thats just your body getting use to the whole process if u been on dialysis a while its the amount of fluid u put on large amounts of fluids being pulled off your body tires out your heart and body so watch your fluild intake 32ozs. a day.Cramping could come from taking to much fluid off at one time your muscles becomming dehydrated

Same here....I usually have to catch the bus to get home, and it's quite an effort....I have cramps only occasionally, but I always feel a little drained after treatment....I think that's normal.....hang in there!!!! cj

lol ................

Because I do Home-Hemo I usually can avoid the cramps by not taking too much fluid at one time. We precisely measure weights before and after dialysis. one thing is I limit the amount I drink to no more than two liters. If I begin to feel cramps coming on I get a little saline to help prevent them. What I cannot stop is feeling pretty awful following dialysis and often have insomnia. will pray for you not to have cramps.
    Hoofkr

After dialysis i feel like i can not walk out and get in my car and drive home . I am sick and tired of getting fluid "pulled " out of me and i am AM ALREADY DEHYDRATED WHEN I GO IN THERE!!!!! It is literally killing me,and i can not get this Dr. to understand i have had Crohn's Disease for 40 years . I have no colon or rectum,i have an Illeostomy ,and everything i eat or drink passes through me in about 30 minutes. I have been going to the ER since 2001 when they removed my colon and rectum,to GET IV fluids for dehydration! Have also spent over a thousand dollars in the last 12 years buying Pedialyte to keep me hydrated! I can NOT UNDERSTAND THEM PULLING FLUID FROM ME WHEN I AM ALREADY DEHYDRATED. IT MAKES MY STOMACH STAY IN A CONSTANT CRAMP,I CAN NOT EAT AT ALL,AND I AM ALREADY 40 POUNDS UNDER MY NORMAL WEIGHT, SOON I WILL DIE FROM DEHYDRATION BEFORE KIDNEY DISEASE HAS A CHANCE TO KILL ME! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO? I HAVE ALREADY STARTED NOT GOING ON WEDNESDAYS, AND I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER THE LESS I GO TO DIALYSIS. I AM 6' 2" AND AM WEIGHING 167 POUNDS,AND I AM SO TIRED OF BEING DEHYDRATED! I AM GETING MY FINAL WISHES AND MY THINGS IN ORDER FOR MY SON TO HAVE ,BECAUSE I AM NOT GOING TO LIVE MUCH LONGER LIKE THIS. I FEEL LIKE I AM BEING MURDERED!!!!!!

Find a different neph who will listen to you. Go to a different dialysis center that cares. I went and found a different surgeon when my vascular
    surgeon was too proud to do the transposition and just wanted me to suffer with a deep fistula. Since then I have
    felt really good. Our center also has a machine that tells how much liquid can be taken out. Before BP drops because of too much
    liquid being taken off the machine beeps and the tech adjust it according to what my body needs. I really like that. Praying you can
    find someone who cares to listen to you. You should have a social worker that you can talk to at the center too and an education nurse.
    Both of them should advocate for you.

FWIW, I'm 6'2" and 165 lbs, and I'm far from 'dehydrated'.

Hello dac0214,

You are one thin character. I'm 5' 9" and 160, and my BMI (Body Mass Index) is in the 24 to 25 range, which is considered "normal". BMI's over 25 start out as "overweight" and run the scale to various degrees of obesity. When my employer started rolling out a mandatory wellness program and with it, annual Biometric screening, nearly all my colleagues sported BMI's over 25 - overweight or obese. As you can imagine, there were a good deal of gnashing of teeth. This included men and women. The BMI index is well known to be highly inaccurate for very fit and muscular builds because of the increased density and weight associated with muscle mass.

Over the course of 5 weekly HHD treatments, which include a couple nocturnal treatments, my weight will drift down to as low as 158. At that point, I'm pretty "dry", and prone to leg cramps, especially near the end of a treatment. I still produce adequate amounts of urine and don't retain water, but feel the need to take some nominal amount of fluid off regardless of my weight, generally between 0.8 kg and 1.3 kg during each treatment. If I remove more than that, I'm really setting myself up for some low BP's and painful leg cramps. I have clearly pulled more fluid than I should on occassion, but the effects are generally temporary and I'll replenish those "lost" fluids during the day. I find that I typically don't drink as many fluids as I used to, which can contribute to the "dryness".

I guess it is one of those many aspects of HHD that I control, and have only myself to blame if I carried away with removing too much fluid. Doing so can break of the monotony of the treatment regimen and provide a little entertainment and perhaps excitement when I've got to give myself a saline bolus or lay down if I feel faint. I'm sufficiently in tune with what's happening to me during a treatment such that I can make most of the necessary corrections/changes proactively, as even cramping tends to build up over a period of time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast