Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Seeking advice

Seeking advice

I am new to kidney issues, I had my right kidney removed due to cancer in 2012. Now my Doc told me I need to limit my phosphorus and potassium because my levals are in the caution zone. My kidney is functioning at 33 percent down from 39 percent in Aug? Can anyone tell me what foods to purchase I can eat safely because he gave me to sheets of paper to follow with very little info. I have not been able to work because of weakness so I am drawing SSDI (hoping that changes) so I only get paid once per month so I will be shopping next week so I am trying to figure out what to purchase (make a shopping list for food) Thanks and nice to meet everyone. Bo

There is plenty of kidney diet information on this web site provided by DaVita that will help you avoid foods high in potassium and high in phosphorus. Here's a partial list of foods to avoid that are very high in phosphorus: processed meats, chocolate, cheese, colas, whole grain cereals and breads and nuts. Citrus fruits are high in potassium along with bananas. Potatoes and corn are high in potassium. Most meats and dairy products are high in phosphorus.

You could consider having your Doc prescribe a phosphorus binder to take with meals, which will assist in limiting the amount of phosphorus from foods from getting into your blood stream. Even the generics such as Calcium Acetate for Phoslo 667 are mighty expensive, e.g. several hundred dollars for a 90 day supply.

At 33% you've got a ways to go before reaching Stage V kidney failure and the prospects of some form of dialysis. Dialysis will help remove some potassium and phosphorus but not enough to forego phosphorus binders or following the kidney diet with some liberalization. I had a terrible diet based experience some 8 months before starting dialysis. I had been taking binders for a few months and over the 2011 holidays, consumed excessive amounts of processed meats and cheeses and chocolate. The result was a tidal wave of kidney failure symptoms: loss of appetite, sleeplessness, cramping, foggy mental state, itching and low energy. Mercifully, I only experienced these symptoms for about a week and by the time my monthly labs were drawn, my nutritional values were not representative of the week of torment that I had endured. I had no problems sticking with the discipline of the kidney diet after that and experienced no reoccurrences of the symptoms even as I began training for home hemodialysis and with it, beginning a regimen of 5X weekly dialysis.

Notwithstanding, sustenances that hold cancer prevention agents can help kill free radicals and ensure the form. Huge numbers of the nourishments that secure against oxidation are incorporated in the kidney eating regimen and settle on incredible decisions for dialysis patients or individuals with incessant kidney ailment (CKD). Consuming sound sustenances, working with a renal dietitian and emulating a renal eating methodology made up of kidney-accommodating nourishments is imperative for individuals with kidney sickness since they encounter more aggravation and have a higher hazard for cardiovascular illness.
    1) Red chime peppers 2)Cabbage 3)Cauliflower 4)Garlic 5)Onions 6)Pieces of fruit 7)Cranberries 8)Blueberries 9)Raspberries 10)Strawberries 11)Fruits 12)Red grapes 13)Egg whites 14)Fish 15)Olive oil