Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7

    fistula - needle hole still bleeds a bit the day after

    I do the 4 Ė 7:30 shift of HD at the center and am in my first month (with a two year old fistula). Iím finding some mornings after dialysis when I go to remove the bandages that the scab on the needle hole is lifted off with the bandage and the hole starts to bleed a bit. Sometimes itís just a sheen on the hole so I use a band aide, other times it is oozing out enough that I want to put a replacement bandage on my arm. This is not strong bleeding that makes me worried for my life, just more of an irritation and worry about sanitation. After dialysis I hold the bandage with my fingers, fairly strongly, and the bandages are generally tight. Some blood does seep into the bandage, but no more than a dime sized dot and never enough to show on the top of or the sides.

    Should the nurses or I be doing something different to prevent the scab from attaching to the bandage? (Thanks)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    245
    My tech nurses told me to keep the bandages on for 24 hours. I do about 18 hours. I also have the 4:15-8:00 shift. If I take it off before 18 hours, a spot of blood might come out of one area not both. Hope this helps.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    76
    I go for 6 pm until 9:45 pm (sometimes they call me in early if possible). My nurses actually tell me to take them off the next morning, even a few hours after finishing if I"m still up. Though I normally wait until at least noon the next day to be sure. I've occassionally had one of the holes start to bleed. What I do is get a gauze pad and press down as I would at dialysis after finishing and that gets it to stop and then I put a band aid on.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Thanks, I bought a bunch of Band-Aids and plan to keep taking them off in the AM. I don't like the idea of keeping the bandages on longer since they press down on my fistula - I worry about the pressure..

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by iolaire View Post
    Thanks, I bought a bunch of Band-Aids and plan to keep taking them off in the AM. I don't like the idea of keeping the bandages on longer since they press down on my fistula - I worry about the pressure..
    Good idea and also I was told keeping them on too long increases the chance of infection as well.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17
    On a regular basis I get bleeding from my fistula the day after treatment. I was told it might help to shower with the bandage on before removing them. It makes more of a mess to me. I shower and put on a band-aid. Sure this does not help other than to say it seems normal.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMarcus View Post
    On a regular basis I get bleeding from my fistula the day after treatment. I was told it might help to shower with the bandage on before removing them. It makes more of a mess to me. I shower and put on a band-aid. Sure this does not help other than to say it seems normal.
    That might be worth trying, maybe it would loosen the scab on the bandage side so it pulls of the bandage rather than the wound. I'll give that a try (but I use a bath rather than a shower). Personally I'd prefer to keep the scabs since I think it will heal better with them.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5
    HI all, i've been on PD for just about a year now, and i'm cramping more than ever, and pretty painful cramps at that. I have a cyst on my left ovary and next month i go to have them (both ovaries) removed, they think that may be a reason that i still cramp. But i'm seriously considering going to fistula at home hemo. Terrified of the needles, but i can't do 13 hours a day of dialysis ( 9 on machine - 1 four hour dwell before machine.) and besides that my healthcarere will be running soon and i need to go back to work. I work at UPS, a pretty physical job, however in the last year that i've been outta work, i've gained weight, lost alot of my muscles and am very weak. My questions are: is there anyone out there with a physically demanding job? Can i lift substancle weight with that in my arm? Does anyone workout? Will this make my arm "useless" as i've heard? I'm in a dilemmea here...any thoughts or opinions and experience are welcomed and needed...thank you!!!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by freverone View Post
    HI all, i've been on PD for just about a year now, and i'm cramping more than ever, and pretty painful cramps at that. I have a cyst on my left ovary and next month i go to have them (both ovaries) removed, they think that may be a reason that i still cramp. But i'm seriously considering going to fistula at home hemo. Terrified of the needles, but i can't do 13 hours a day of dialysis ( 9 on machine - 1 four hour dwell before machine.) and besides that my healthcarere will be running soon and i need to go back to work. I work at UPS, a pretty physical job, however in the last year that i've been outta work, i've gained weight, lost alot of my muscles and am very weak. My questions are: is there anyone out there with a physically demanding job? Can i lift substancle weight with that in my arm? Does anyone workout? Will this make my arm "useless" as i've heard? I'm in a dilemmea here...any thoughts or opinions and experience are welcomed and needed...thank you!!!


    I worked at UPS for over seven years before becoming an RN, and I remember how hard the work was. I had been on disability a few times with two pregnancies and a couple of surgeries. If you have used the entire 26 weeks of short-term disability, I would recommend returning to work, but only on light duty, with no heavy lifting. Does your hub have a smalls area? That's probably where they will put you for the time being. I had this happen several years ago, so I'm not sure if insurance still works this way, but I'm sure it will, especially if you're a union member. I came back from short term disability from maternity leave, and I was working for about a month, when I rolled my ankle and broke some bones in my foot. I was granted another six months, or 26 weeks of short-term disability because according to the contract, if you return to work for at least two weeks, and you are still unable to perform duties at 100%, you are given another 26 weeks of leave, but only with a doctor's note stating that you are unable to perform all duties at 100% due to illness or injury. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    229
    Hello freverone,

    I work a desk job but I also travel and hump luggage through airports while on business travel, perform demanding auto repair with handtools on weekends not during the winter and otherwise have no limitations with the use of my non-dominant right fistula arm. I've been fairy ambidextrous most of my life and try not to play favorites with shoulders, arms, hands and fingers so as to balance out the wear and tear. After you have a fistula placed you are advised to get a hand/wrist strengthening exercise ball to help develop the fistula.

    I've had a serviceable right forearm fistula since October 2012 and four button hole access sites I've been using for HHD since early September and other sites used since starting HHD (via training) in July of 2012. The only precautions I am aware of are pressure (tight fitting clothing, strap of heavy bag across the fistula) on the fistula that may restrict flow and certainly sharp objects which if they cut the fistula, you can expect to bleed out in a matter of minutes. I have been told my my HHD team that I must apply pressure to the anastomosis (vein and artery union) at the wrist to stop bleeding that would be anywhere in the fistula between that point and the elbow or shoulder. A tourniquet applied between the cut fistula and the heart won't do squat to prevent bleeding to death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •