Subscribe to this Thread…

Smile At home dialysis

Hi ! I would really like to talk with people who are doing at home dialysis. I do not know any one in my present situation. I am also not sure how to use this site!
    Last edited by blake11; 12-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Hello blake11,

I've been performing HHD since September 2012 and have posted extensively on this web site regarding my experiences and insights I've gathered regarding the modality. It can be difficult finding specific advice/answers on the DaVita.com site and I have found myself saying the same things over and over to different site members. I would suggest reading several of my posts and if this doesn't provide you with the information you seek, send me a message and/or a Friend Request to facilitate a private discussion.

Hello! I have been doing peritoneal dialysis at home since 2011. I'm a new member and interested in starting a dialysis support group in the San Fernando Valley. Anyone interested? Contact me! Rick

I'm a new member here and look forward to learning from others' experiences and hopefully I can be of some help/support to other caregivers. My husband is unable to help in the treatment so it's all up to me. I look forward to gaining some insight into HHD from those "old hands" who have a lot of experiences under their belt.

Hello Grammawalt,

I am by no means an "old hand" at HHD, but I have been at it quite vigorously for nearly the past two years and in the process, my care partner/spouse have gained many valuable insights. Feel free to check out my many information rich postings to these forums and if you are still left wanting for information, use the secure message member to member feature and I will respond.

I've been doing peritoneal dialysis since 2011. At first I thought doing home dialysis during the evening would be better. Frankly, I'm searching what is going on in the alternative field. Have heard that dialysis is reversible and the kidneys can be regenerated.

Hello rickestay10,

I'm not certain what you mean by "dialysis is reversible". Damaged kidney tissue does not "regenerate", and thus any loss of kidney function related to damage to the kidneys is permanent. There are conditions that cause kidneys not to function at 100% that could be temporary, e.g. have not caused damage to kidney tissue. Certain infections and kidney stones can produce temporary loss of function.

I am a PKD patient and before I started dialysis with a GFR of 9 and creatinine in the 6's, I had no symptoms of ESRD besides the kidney function values. I was quite anemic with HgB in the 9.0 range. Upon starting HHD training and with it hemodialysis, I received 5000 IU of Epogen 3X weekly along with IV Iron in order to bring my hemoglobin into the 11 to 12 range. This was accomplished over the 5 week span of training and within a few months of 5X weekly HHD my requirements for Epogen dropped in dose size and frequency until I was receiving 2000 IU every other month. I was on that regimen for the past 6 months and now require 2000 IU twice per month.

My nephrologist attributed all of this and a reduced reliance upon phosphorus binders to the kidney "protective" effects of hemodialysis, e.g. dialysis was taking a burden off my still functioning kidneys, which were then able to produce the enzymes responsible for triggering the production of red blood cells (hemoglobin) as well as do a better job of removing phosphorus and potassium from my blood stream.

In general, regular hemodialysis had permitted me to retain more of my residual kidney function allowing for more liberal diet and liquid intake.