Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone doing peritoneal dialysis?

Have been told today dialysis will be needed soon...my doctor suggested pd over hd ?

on pd

Quote Originally Posted by jaxman19 View Post
    Have been told today dialysis will be needed soon...my doctor suggested pd over hd ?
    Hi- I myself have been n pd for one year and two months. I have also been on hd for a year and two months(weird huh) in the past and I can't even compare. On hd I was always depressed and in pain. I hurt every-single time I went it to have it done for 3 1\2 hrs. I cramped EVERYWHERE and it hurts a lot. On pd I do manual exchanges (don't want the machine 'cause I don't want to mess with my sleep-light sleeper) and hardly ever cramp. There is more freedom with the diet and I just have to stop four times a day to do my 20-30 minute exchange. It's been like day and night. Wouldn't go back to hd unless I REALLY had to. The only problem I run into is not taking in enough protein which gets dialized every single time. I hate eating meat so I have to try to eat four eggs a day and am also on a protein drink (from Costco). Have to adjust to "something" and that seems to be my struggle. Once you are trained how to do it you are on your own but there is always the team which are always willing to help with ideas and the nutritionist is constantly in communication to assure you follow a proper diet. They are great. The nurse I'm assigned to is a great person, caring and very professional. I go in every-two-weeks to get my epo shot and now and then I get iron infusions. Highly recommend pd over hd

I am on PD for 2 years now. I do have the machine so I am able to do my dialysis while I sleep. I LOVE IT! (if you can love dialysis) lol I work a full time job so this works really well for me. I have never done HD and hope that I never do. I have not heard anything good about HD. I have never had an infection and I am immuno suppressed due to a liver transplant I had 7 years ago. So I have to be very careful but if you follow your training its a snap! Good luck on whatever choice you make. 99% of it is a good attitude

I started PD 7/2007 and I do manual exchanges. I'm 63 years old , never had an infection (knock on wood) even the thought of HD scares me :-(

Today is my fourth day on PD. it's going well, just very time consuming. I have a great PD nurse at DaVita who was an excellent teacher. She came to my home and was with me when I did the first exchange by myself. I was a bit anxious at first on my own as there are so many steps most of which are the cleaning/prep and safety procedures you must follow. I don't want to ever have an infection! I never considered HD as I am terrified of needles and cannot imagine going in to the clinic so often for so many hours. I want to maintain my independence and at 67 still have a lot of plans for my life. My husband has been a rock through all of this. I hope to be on night-time schedule with the cycler in December. Keep a positive attitude and take one day at a time. Until now (as of Ausust), I had never been sick and never had any surgeries. I was so nervous about the PD catheter placement, but it was not that bad. Good luck to you.

I am a PD patient since Dec 2012. If you can like something this is the way to go. I have a cycler and very rarely hear it running at night. I am also a traveling PD patient. My husband retired in June 2013 and we have been traveling in our RV since then. I make arrangements for solution delivery wherever we are at the time. My husband (my care partner) helps me with moving the boxes around and emptying my drain bags. You need to have a positive attitude as well as your care partner.

My daughter has been on pd for over a year though she likes the freedom, she experiences may issues such as restless leg syndrome her doc say nothing can be done. So she suffers constantly kicking all night and never gets any sleep.Her quality of life is zilch because of lack of sleep.She is a 24 year old college student that is trying to live a life,dose anybody out there know or have this problem,what can we do to help her ? thanks Mom!

I have been a PD patient for six months. I've never done HD. I do the cycler and it works for me because I can still go to my full time job and live a somewhat normal life. The only thing about PD is that it is time consuming. I do it eight hours every night. I've heard a lot about HD, and none of it is good. My wife and I set up together every night. We try to make it fun and that allows us to have great discussions.

I have severe restless leg syndrome and since I started Neurontin (Gabapentin) I havent had ANY problems with it. Tell her to insist her doctor give Neurontin to her or find another doctor. I know how awful rls is!!!!

I also have restless leg and take Gabapentin It take about an hour to start working but it is wonderful..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast