Subscribe to this Thread…

time for fistula and PD tube?

Hi,
    I'm at 15 gfr now, down from 18 4 months ago, and wondering whether to get a fistula AND
    PD tube. don't know how long I will remain without dialysis.
    could be months or years (I hope). should I get these or
    wait till the last moments? any advice.

Based on my personal experience, I'd say get the PD catheter now, but buried.(as in tucked under your skin) I had a buried catheter for over two years..no special procedures required during that time. When I was down to 7% kidney function, the catheter was brought through my skin (about 10 min. procedure with local freezing) and I started PD. The thiking on doing it sooner rather than later is that if things take a sharp downturn, you're ready to go on PD right away.

Do most insurance companys allow this in advance before actually starting dialysis?
    Im in a pickle as my ins doesnt cover any renal resources and I have to go thru medicare.

wow I just got off the phone trying to get general info about Davita and some general ins questions.All I got was passed around from dept tp dept on a 1-800 #.The only facility avail doesnt have a local number avail.I learned nothing but the fact they have bad cust service.Put me on hold forever and I gave up.Gee what if I had a serious issue and needed there nurse? I am truly confused now.