Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wanting to hear from recipients about post kidney transplant.....

I've been on the transplant list almost 5 years....and am on the fence...."do I really want it?". I want to know, if people have had regrets, how many medications are you on now, how long have you had the transplant, would you do it again. I've known that I would need dialysis/transplant for over 5 1/2 years, but only have been on dialysis for 18 months. I'm 62, female, single,still working full time and get treatment at the center. I treat my time there as working a part time job. My indecision is that I know how I feel now, which is good, and if I got the transplant, I don't want to go back to dialysis. I have a good attitude about dialysis, but my opinion about the transplant was different at age 56 than now at 62. Wanting to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Dripper,
    I just had my transplant, and let me say, it was one heck of a experience. I'm at 90 days post transplant. I haven't felt this good since before end stage kidney failure. I also worked full time and went to Dialysis, and I thought I was doing ok, but the truth, I was starting to feel drained, run down, and just tired most of the time. Today, I have so much energy and strength it's unbelievable. I forgot how normal felt. I was on dialysis three years before getting my transplant. Yes, there's a lot of meds, and the anti rejection meds have some side effects, but it's not anything compared to dialysis. I would not hesitate to do it again. There's no comparison, it's like night and day. If you have a chance for a transplant, I would urge anyone to go ahead with it, god has given me a new beginning. My diet is back to a normal healthy diet. I can have dairy products, nuts, potassium, and all the normal foods I couldn't eat while on dialysis. I just eat smart, low sodium/fat diet.. Walk and ride my bike a lot. And work 40 hour a week, without feeling drained. Sleep soundly, life is good.

chuyjess,
    Best response I've heard in a long time !

Quote Originally Posted by chuyjess View Post
    Dripper,
    I just had my transplant, and let me say, it was one heck of a experience. I'm at 90 days post transplant. I haven't felt this good since before end stage kidney failure. I also worked full time and went to Dialysis, and I thought I was doing ok, but the truth, I was starting to feel drained, run down, and just tired most of the time. Today, I have so much energy and strength it's unbelievable. I forgot how normal felt. I was on dialysis three years before getting my transplant. Yes, there's a lot of meds, and the anti rejection meds have some side effects, but it's not anything compared to dialysis. I would not hesitate to do it again. There's no comparison, it's like night and day. If you have a chance for a transplant, I would urge anyone to go ahead with it, god has given me a new beginning. My diet is back to a normal healthy diet. I can have dairy products, nuts, potassium, and all the normal foods I couldn't eat while on dialysis. I just eat smart, low sodium/fat diet.. Walk and ride my bike a lot. And work 40 hour a week, without feeling drained. Sleep soundly, life is good.
    I needed that! My transplant is in 23 days and I must admit, I am very nervous! I pray i feel, half as good as you

I am 70 plus. Fourth stage (22). When do you go om dialysis? I had a lung tx Nov 2011

OK, I'm currently on the 'inactive list' for a transplant (due to work constraints), but my mother had 2 transplants. While it DID relieve her of the constant need for dialysis, she also had to take an inordinate amount of anti-rejection medications, one of which caused her facial features to balloon up. Then, after about 7-8 years, the transplant suffered a vascular failure, and she nearly died on the operating table.

Then, after another 3-4 years of dialysis, she got a second transplant. This worked well, but after a few years, she developed cancer, and unfortunately, the drugs used to fight cancer were incompatible with those needed for suppressing rejection, and she died at age 76. After talking with my own nephrologist, he agrees that there is a chance she would've survived cancer if she had NOT been a transplant recipient.

So, there it is. Every choice has it's downside. A transplant will NOT solve ALL your problems, and will likely bring you a few new ones, as well. Although my mom might still be alive today, I'm not sure she would've been happy being 86 and still on dialysis. At the same time, had she not smoked most of her adult life, she probably never would've developed lung cancer, and her transplant might've kept her alive to today.

Thanks for all your feedback! Keep them coming!

So great things are going good for you. I'm in the beginning stages of being evaluated and also had the same worries. I'm so glad I saw your post...I can't imagine having a normal energy level. Best of luck to you!! And thank you for sharing.

I had my transplant almost 60 days ago, I am 23 years old. I haven't felt this great in soo long! I couldn't be happier with this experience! I hope yours goes wonderfully like mine did/is! Good luck to you!

Amazing! I couldn't agree with you more! I had my transplant almost 60 days ago and it's exactly like what you explained! So happy for you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast