Subscribe to this Thread…

Best foods to eat and avoid before blood/renal tests

Hi folks, hope your all keeping well.

I was diagnosed with stage 3a CKD in Feb of this year, my last GFR reading was 55GFR, so it improved a little from the first few tests prior to that.

My next tests are in May. I shall have to double check with my Dr as I cannot remember if this test is fastings or non fastings, the last few have been fastings.

I am awaiting for a letter to come through for a Nephrologist appointment, but was told it can take some time, the waiting list through the NHS in the UK can be quite long.

So basically, as I have my bloods done on a Monday, is there best foods to eat and others to avoid say 24 to 48 hours before the test?

I have increased my water intake, stopped salts, stopped caffeine, and pepsi/soda's etc, also stopped banana's, tomatoes and chocolate as well.

Many thanks ;-)

Best thing to do is to NOT load up on proteins in the day or 2 before your tests.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzydi30 View Post
    Hi folks, hope your all keeping well.

I was diagnosed with stage 3a CKD in Feb of this year, my last GFR reading was 55GFR, so it improved a little from the first few tests prior to that.

My next tests are in May. I shall have to double check with my Dr as I cannot remember if this test is fastings or non fastings, the last few have been fastings.

I am awaiting for a letter to come through for a Nephrologist appointment, but was told it can take some time, the waiting list through the NHS in the UK can be quite long.

So basically, as I have my bloods done on a Monday, is there best foods to eat and others to avoid say 24 to 48 hours before the test?

I have increased my water intake, stopped salts, stopped caffeine, and pepsi/soda's etc, also stopped banana's, tomatoes and chocolate as well.

Many thanks ;-)
    I would not change your normal diet. You want your doc to see your lab results as they would normally be with your day to day eating habbits. Changing your habbits right before a blood test will skew results and will not give a clear indication on how you are doing overall.
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Quote Originally Posted by M3Riddler View Post
    I would not change your normal diet. You want your doc to see your lab results as they would normally be with your day to day eating habbits. Changing your habbits right before a blood test will skew results and will not give a clear indication on how you are doing overall.
    Exactly, why would you want to falsify your real results ? Just go do your blood work then depending on results then adjust your diet accordingly