Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I knew something was up but put it off until it was too late. Went to the doctors on Valentine's Day this year because I felt like crap and had swollen legs. I could actually feel my blood pressure was high (I could hear it in my ears). Turns out it was high enough to be well in the stroke range so they sent me to the hospital. I was on dialysis about an hour later. My Creatinine level was just over 20 and the BU? was over 200. They told me the numbers were crazy high (second highest the hospital has ever seen) and I shouldn't have been able to walk into the building. So now the machines keep me alive, 3 times a week...

Sounds like me. I was always in good health.Also "cause unknown". First felt tired a lot and started feeling nauseous a lot too. After a couple of visits my dumb family doctor finally figured out I had kidney failure and sent me to ER for dialysis. I almost died from all the toxins in me. That was in the early '90s. Did peritoneal dialysis for 3 1/2 yrs, got a cadaver kidney in '97. It lasted about 14 yrs. Great years of normal life. Got pneumonia in the Spring of 2011 and lost my transplant. I am back on dialysis...hemo, this time. I like talking to the staff and patients in my center. We learn from each other and they fulfill my life. There are some great people in your center. Don't be afraid to open up to them and share your feelings and concerns and they will come around and start talking. Tell them about yourself. If they can't deal with it...move on to the next person.

I've been diabetic for over 20 years and diabetes isn't kind to the kidneys. I woke up one morning in April, urinating blood, and had my right kidney removed a week later due to cancer. On my way home from a routine checkup at my PCP, he called and told me to go directly to the emergency room as I was in full-blown kidney failure. I had a cath inserted in my chest and started dialysis in the hospital the next day. Not much time to get used to the idea, but considering the alternative..... I'm now going 3x in clinic. I chose the earliest time available so still have most of the day ahead of me when I'm done. Still adjusting physically and emotionally, but getting better every day.

I was diagnosed with hypertension in 2008. I took my meds faithfully and only under extreme circumstances did my blood pressure elevate. Fast forward to 2010....... I think the highest for me was 189/.125, which is why I went to the ER.....this was unusual for me. Coupled with a splitting headache while at work, they would not let me go back to work or go home, so my only choice was to go to the ER at Howard University Hospital. I stayed there the night, they did a CT scan, changed my BP meds and sent me home. This was on a Tuesday. I made an appointment with my primary care physician at Georgetown University Hospital for Thursday of the same week, where she drew blood, took urine changed my BP meds again and sent me home.
    On Tuesday the following week, I get a frantic call from my physician telling me I have to come back in to do labs because they were abnormal. In doing these labs is when I was diagnosed with ESRD. I had no symptoms, no back pain, nothing........just hit me out of the blue. My kidneys had atrophied to 7 centimeters, so bad that they could not even perform a kidney biopsy on them. This was over 4 years ago.

My kidney disease is inherited. My mom went through years of dialysis and 2 transplants. Her father died of kidney failure (and liver failure, probably caused by too much prohibition-era bad booze) when he was 43. His father died of "Brights disease" when he was about 50. I can trace it back even a couple generations further than that in my family.

hi Kathleen my name is Vicky one day I was at work the next day I was on dialysis im so bored you have any advice for something or a hobby im going out of my mind

I was first diagnosed in July of 2010. I was able to hold off dialysis for 3 years but finally in October of 2013 I started.

I'm new also, my name is Gail , I'm 68 years old, my husband died after a long illness three years ago and I have 4adult kids. I thought I had the flu right after New Years this year. After being sick for almost three weeks my family convinced me to go to the er. I really thought they were going to tell me I had the flu and give me some nausea meds and send me home, I was so sick going to the er seemed like way to much effort but didn't want to worry my family. I was very shocked when the doctor told me that I was in critical condition with esrd and had a creat level of 20. I was taken to ICU and spent two months in the hospital. I asked my doctor to try to get me a couple more years since there had been a lot of loses in my family the last few years. I didn't think my children and grandchildren could take another loss so soon. Now my labs are good, I can drive and take care of myself. Tomorrow I'm starting a new in center place 45 miles from my home. They are going to teach me to stick my new fistula and on December 1st I start training for home hemo dialysis. Next goal after doing hhd is starting an exercise routine.... Then going on a cruise in February . My daughter just bought me my very own snorkeling gear, how cool it that! Esrd is not going to stop this old widow lady!

Welcome, Gailr46! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that, but I'm glad you'll be able to start home hemo training soon! And YAY, you get to go on a cruise! I'm sure you will have the best time ever. Love that you have your own snorkeling gear. You will love it.

First time I heard that someone didn't know what caused what.....like the chicken or the egg.....I am the same. No kidney biopsy to find the cause...but I assume with family history and autoimmune issues mean that it is autoimmune. So I thought I was the only one who never had a biopsy to find the cause.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123