Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another newbie to PD

The time has come....my kidneys are tired and can't go on anymore. Hence it is time for PD. I am looking forward to meeting other people who are going through this same journey, to learn, get questions answered and grow my network of support.
    .....Let the adventures begin...

Quote Originally Posted by PJones1921 View Post
    The time has come....my kidneys are tired and can't go on anymore. Hence it is time for PD. I am looking forward to meeting other people who are going through this same journey, to learn, get questions answered and grow my network of support.
    .....Let the adventures begin...
    Errr....that was a bit dramatic and sappy....I blame it on the memory issues due to my failing kidneys. I am at GFR 8, stage 5 and feeling every bit of it. I feel like I am so toxic-I am probably leaking radiation. I have all the classic symptoms of ESRD. It's probably a good thing I will be starting PD very soon, as in a few weeks. My body is telling me yes I am ready, but my mind is sooo...not ready. I am just curious what symptoms people experienced just before starting dialysis? And are these symptoms relieved once dialysis starts? If so, how soon?

PJones, I hear your reluctance and frustration. I was GFR 5 and had dialysis for acute kidney failure. Over a period of several months, the kidneys improved to GFR 18, but now the nephrologist says thats not going to continue and is preparing me for permanent dialysis and/or transplant. I'm looking into the pros and cons of PD and HD. What are your thoughts on that? You asked about symptoms -- my major symptoms were EXTREME fatigue (unable to walk from my car into the doctor's office without stopping to rest) and shortness of breath. I wish you well and hope to hear more from you.

Quote Originally Posted by sewla View Post
    PJones, I hear your reluctance and frustration. I was GFR 5 and had dialysis for acute kidney failure. Over a period of several months, the kidneys improved to GFR 18, but now the nephrologist says thats not going to continue and is preparing me for permanent dialysis and/or transplant. I'm looking into the pros and cons of PD and HD. What are your thoughts on that? You asked about symptoms -- my major symptoms were EXTREME fatigue (unable to walk from my car into the doctor's office without stopping to rest) and shortness of breath. I wish you well and hope to hear more from you.
    Bummer, I tried to maintain a GFR of 13, but couldn't - my score just keep going down. Did your neph, give you any time frame? I am still quite new to this world. I have decided to go with PD, as I understand it offers much more flexibility. I work full time and plan on continuing to do so. I don't know how much time home hemo takes vs. hemo at a clinic??? Perhaps someone with a little more experience can help answer your question. I have fatigue too, I just feel tired all the time and like I can never get enough sleep, even though I get 7- 8 hrs at least on avg. and it seems like a restful sleep. I am on a list for a transplant...the avg. wait time in my area is 2-4 yrs. I am curious how did your kidneys go from a GFR of 5-18?

I have already seen a TOPs nurse who gave me all the options and counseling for dialysis. I am surprised you have not
    contacted your hospital to see if they have meetings on this information. Our hospital did and when I asked the doctor
    if I should be going to it, he said he would like me to have the counseling done at his office. My husband and I went and she
    gave us an hour class with time for questions. She called me a month ago to set up a time for me to go in and observe
    both types of PD and HD. Since I am at 16/17 GFR and losing about 6 % each six months my doctor seems to want me
    to be prepared. I have dropped 10% in a six month period before so this next visit I will be making my choice. I believe my
    doctor will put me on it soon after I hit the 10 GFR, I have poly cystic kidneys which are growing instead of getting smaller.
    They are pressing on other organ inside of me. I want to do PD but this may not be good since I will have to have 2 litters of
    PD fluid inside me to clean them out. I was told there may not be enough room inside with causing me to be sick all the time. It is bad enough being tired. I have done a lot of reading on web sites and some doctors want to start close to 10 while the
    kidney's are still working and others believe waiting until 5 is better. I am not sure what makes the difference accept maybe water retention,
    other health issues, and availability of a dialysis center working with people. kidneyschool.org is a good place to read about
    regular kidney problems. Hope this helped a little.

Hi everyone my name is Howie. This Thursday I am having the surgery to implant a PD cathether. I would like to know how easy is it to learn the process, how soon I can take a long overdue shower and go for swim. Afterall I live in New York and summer is short here on Long Island.

Coastie: You should listen to your PD training. It will take about 3 to 4 weeks before you can take a shower. The training is easy, but if you don't follow it all you could get a really bad infection. Your training will recommend that unless you have your own pool swimming my not be a good option. But please talk to your trainer and listen to them closely. I hope that helps.

I was told not to swim in swimming pool but ocean was ok just take shower with clean shower head afterwards,hope you are enjoying PD.I like it 100 percent better than HD.

Hi, I have bee on PD since April 2014. I work full time and find it the best choice for me. Honestly, I dont think about my condition much. It is just a part of what I need to do to live, like eating, Mybe because I have such a great support team. My DaVita Center is Amazing and my family is awesome. I hook up at night and sleep through the whole process. During the day, I just go about my day. I think PD is the way to go.

I am just starting PD myself on Monday I already have the catheter installed my training is to begin this Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast