Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ammonia Taste

Ammonia Taste

Hi Ya'll. I am doing better with my diet and cooking my own food (I am single... live alone). I searched the Forum for "ammonia taste" in mouth, and posts were quite dated and not really on point with what I want to ask.

Has anyone's Nephrologist given them the reason for the occasional ammonia taste in the throat, mouth, sinuses? I recognize it some times when I haven't eaten in awhile, and some times about an hour or two after eating. Because of the two extremes, I assume it has to do with too much or too little protein in the system? If I eat a frozen fruit bar, it will go away.

My Nephrologist "warned" me that as the CKD progresses (I am in Stage 4), I will smell like urine, and that when getting on dialysis, it is common that patients complain about everything tasting metallic. But, I just wondered if any of the users on here were given a reason (by a physician or medical professional) why the ammonia taste comes up through the stomach and into the mouth/throat/sinuses?

I hope everyone set their clocks forward Sat Mar 9, 2013 or you will be late to work!! Peace.

Marcia

hello Mhusband

i am stage 4 also have been for three years now,I get the amonia tates in my mouth too.I have been lately like the last few weeks.But i have the same issue going on .

Biopsy july 8,2010
    stage 4-currently
    Non Dialysis
    Gfr 25%
    Creatinine- 2.26
    BUN-24

My doctor said the taste was too much red meat protein. Even smelling it cook makes me queasy and then I don't eat it. They put me on a pill
    like nexuim (Medicare will not pay for on med plan but will pay for generic) so I will eat. I had many upset stomach problems until started taking this pill. I go off that and the taste of ammonia gets worse. Hope this helps. Everyone is different.

I sense it sometimes when exhailing through nose. Feels like toxics still inside me. Only excuse I get is I need more clearance or change diet.but no difinet solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by mhusband27 View Post
    Hi Ya'll. I am doing better with my diet and cooking my own food (I am single... live alone). I searched the Forum for "ammonia taste" in mouth, and posts were quite dated and not really on point with what I want to ask.

Has anyone's Nephrologist given them the reason for the occasional ammonia taste in the throat, mouth, sinuses? I recognize it some times when I haven't eaten in awhile, and some times about an hour or two after eating. Because of the two extremes, I assume it has to do with too much or too little protein in the system? If I eat a frozen fruit bar, it will go away.

My Nephrologist "warned" me that as the CKD progresses (I am in Stage 4), I will smell like urine, and that when getting on dialysis, it is common that patients complain about everything tasting metallic. But, I just wondered if any of the users on here were given a reason (by a physician or medical professional) why the ammonia taste comes up through the stomach and into the mouth/throat/sinuses?

I hope everyone set their clocks forward Sat Mar 9, 2013 or you will be late to work!! Peace.

Marcia
    Hi Marcia,

Ammonia taste is a classic sign of kidney disease. It is caused from the toxins building up. You can also get other mettalic like tastes caused from a high BUN. again.... a toxin from too much protein. Are they preparing you for dialysis by informing you of your options of the different types of dialysis along with pros and cons of each including home hemo dialysis?
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Do u feel the toxics every day when breathing through your nose?

Thanks M3. My last Nephrologist appointment was 5 weeks ago. Next week (3/21/13) I go back. Blood test in a few days. I have counseled with the dialysis counselor recommended by the doctor. I am self-pay right now, so I think I am getting the level of "self-pay assistance" provided by most health care facilities, i.e., "substandard!" Even after three messages to the Nephrologist and two faxes (since last appointment on 2/5/13), he has not responded to any of my questions for info regarding levels of protein he wanted me to have per day; OTC sinus and acid neutralizer medications I can take given my CKD4 diagnosis; and fluid restriction information. He is a sole practitioner with no nurse or renal diet employee. He has a good reputation, but I am frustrated not being able to get the answers to questions, and the nurse I consulted with from the dialysis center said she cannot give advice about OTC (or any) medications.

Kcramer: I have not eaten red meat in about 4 months. I have been eating chicken or fish (and eggs). I've watched my diet pretty carefully, but I have NOT found a good system for writing down every gram or mg of phosphorus, potassium & salt I am ingesting. I am probably erring on the side of caution and not getting close to the limits. I eat small meals. I do not have diabetes, but have been watchful of consuming even sugar.

Some days I do not get the taste at all. Thanks for your replies and support!

Marcia

Why do I see so many conflicting amounts of protein per day that a CKD4 patient should be consuming? My Nephrologist simply said "eat some chicken." I have read many posts on here and I see anywhere from 30 grams (which is less than an ounce!) to 12 OUNCES! The dialysis center nurse consultant said 8-12 oz. per day. A renal dietitian where my sister works said 6-8 oz. What is the answer? I lost over 50 lbs (went from 175 lbs in May 2012 to 120 lbs March 2013), so the doctor said I needed protein. I will appreciate some assistance or guidance in this regard. As I said earlier, I left a voice message AND a fax for the doctor to let me know about the protein amount I should eat per day, but he has never returned my call or fax. Very frustrating!

M3? My sister just asked me how long after having a peritoneal port surgically implanted can I start PD at home? Is it two weeks?

Boy... I am getting so confused getting educated about CKD! I was diagnosed in January 2013, so please excuse my newbie questions! Obviously I have been having problems with my kidneys for probably years, but never knew. Then, in early October 2012, I was misdiagnosed, so I lost another 4 months of trying to watch what I eat to save my kidneys! Phew..... what a ride!

Marcia

When I was in stage4 and never knew it, I would get random odd tastes in my mouth. I would also feel nauseous and be worn out all the time. It wasn't consistent which is why I didn't think anything of it for a long time. Once I started dialysis that all went away. As stated above it's all the toxins building up in your system.

Once on dialysis you will probably be instructed to start bulking up on protein where now you are likely told to limit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy1wrc View Post
    When I was in stage4 and never knew it, I would get random odd tastes in my mouth. I would also feel nauseous and be worn out all the time. It wasn't consistent which is why I didn't think anything of it for a long time. Once I started dialysis that all went away. As stated above it's all the toxins building up in your system.

Once on dialysis you will probably be instructed to start bulking up on protein where now you are likely told to limit it.
    Speedy: The only advice my Nephrologist said re: protein was "do not listen to people who say you need to ingest low protein." He said "you need protein for muscle, bone, blood cells, etc." But, he simply said "eat some chicken!" That is not giving me any limits or restrictions, and it has been frustrating. The nurse consultant for the dialysis center (not DaVita) said that once I start dialysis, I will definitely need to be on a high protein diet (I assume because the blood is being filtered and the body needs to have as much protein as possible to replenish what gets filtered).

I am leaning toward peritoneal dialysis (PD) at home. I think I can handle that method the best. Thanks very much for your input!

Marcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast