If you would like to post in the Forums, you will need to Sign In
with a myDaVita.com account. If you do not have a myDaVita.com account, you will need to Register
. Before you post, use the search function above to see if the topic is already covered. If it isnít covered, post under the appropriate sub-forum and please stay on topic.
Dialysis and losing supplementary heath insurance - options?
I know this is long, but bear with me. I'm in dire need of help!
Currently, my Father has End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and is on dialysis. He has health insurance coverage through Medicare and Cobra, which Iím finding out now through my research that he was supposed to lose his Cobra coverage once he started Medicare, but they seemed to have overlooked that. On April 1, my Fatherís Cobra coverage will lapse after 18 months. We have no options for additional coverage to supplement Medicare, otherwise we will be liable for the 20% that Medicare does not cover.
Iíve done some research into possible options for supplementary coverage to Medicare, but I have no idea which ones are actually viable:
1. Group health insurance - My Father does have his own business, an LLC that he runs with my Brother doing engineering work. If we apply for group health insurance through the LLC, will they discriminate against those on dialysis and on Medicare?
2. Cal Cobra - Is it possible to continue coverage through Cobra for another 18 months via Cal Cobra, since theyíve overlooked the fact that heís on Medicare so far?
3. AARP - Iíve heard of people obtaining health insurance through AARP, is this an option?
4. Medigap Ė Iíve read that the government provides health insurance plans to supplement the 20% that Medicare does not cover, but Iíve also read that open enrollment is not allowed for those on ESRD. Iíve also read that it is available to those who are coming off of Cobra. Not sure if there is a loophole we can squeeze into here.
5. Obamacare - Iím also unsure how Obamacare works starting January 1, 2014. I understand that insurers cannot discriminate against pre-existing medical conditions, but I am hearing that the health insurance exchange will not provide coverage for those with ESRD or on dialysis. In the event that we cannot obtain supplementary coverage after April 1, but we have the option of being able to purchase health insurance on January 1, 2014 that will cover dialysis, it will be something we can handle financially and would relieve some anxiety.
Iím not sure if any of the above is possible, but obviously, Iím in over my head and need help.