Subscribe to this Thread…

Question Need help with constipation while a dialysis patient

Need recommendations for constipation while on dialysis. Are stool softeners safe? Also, need help for hemorrhoids - is Preparation H safe?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterWilliams View Post
    Need recommendations for constipation while on dialysis. Are stool softeners safe? Also, need help for hemorrhoids - is Preparation H safe?
    I recommend Miralax for constipation. It should be ok but ask your nephrologist just to verify. It is not harsh on the body and works well.
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

MiraLax is great but the generic Polyethylene Glycol is much less expensive. My dr pescribed mine so I dont know if a script is necessary.

I recommend Senna-S, an over the counter combination stool softener and laxative. When I was taking the phosphorous binder Renvela pre dialysis, I experienced constipation and my nephrologist recommended Senna-S, which taken once a day did the trick.

Senna-S (Walgreens) over the counter medication is not eligible for coverage in a Flexible Spending Account unless it is prescribed by a physician. This is the same treatment that over the counter pain relievers, cough remedies and the like have experienced since the rules changed at the start of 2012. The Senna-S is reasonably priced at about $20 for 90 tablets.

Oddly, I requested that my nephrologist prescribe a binder other than Renvela, which is a perferred brand and about $600 for a 90 day supply. He prescribed Calcium Acetate, which is the generic for Phoslo 667 and about 25% of the cost of Renvela. Once I started taking the Calcium Acetate, my constipation vanished and I now tend to a very normal to softer stool, e.g. no further need for Senna-S.

Hi MisterWilliams
    Senna is an FDA approved laxative however it must be taken with caution as long term use can cause the bowels to stop functioning normally and might cause dependence on laxatives. It can also change the amount or balance of some chemicals in the blood (electrolytes) that can cause heart function disorders, muscle weakness, liver damage, and other harmful effects. Senna should not be used by people with abdominal pain (either diagnosed or undiagnosed), intestinal blockage, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, appendicitis, stomach inflammation, anal prolapse, or hemorrhoids.

Other people have found increasing their intake of fluids, exercise, and supplementing their diet with high fiber foods helpful. The result is softer stools and less need to force which can have a positive impact on reducing hemorrhoids.
    Nurse and Independent Researcher
    Desire to gather and share as much information as possible and help people
    http://www.peoplelivelonger.com/ckd

BiologicsCorp : If you need recombinant protein.

Mr Williams,
    Mirelax, Polypropemene Glycol, are two solutions but there is also Fleet liquid glycerine (not salne) It comes 4 to a package and is about $5.00. This should be used only once a day and usually works within 15 min or less. You can also bu yglyceral suppositories that can take as long as 3 days to work, s. The doctors used to prescripe metaclopramide but should be used for only short periods of time. Some gastro Drs. still prescribe this but if used too frequently or for too long it can cause side effects such as uncontrollable face and lip movement. Be sure to consult your nephrologist for what the or shey would recommend. Hope this helps you solve this annoying problem.
    May the good Lord be at your side. Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2014!
    Hoofpkr

Mr Williams.hi. I am a caregiver for a 47 y/o type 1 diabetic who has had diabetes since he was 6.as you can imagine the disease wreaks havoc on the entire body,bowels included.what ive found is miralax,like everybody else is saying.UNLESS this is narcotic related.my partner takes Percocet for nerve pain and we deal with chronic constipation a lot.the only thing that we've found that works with narcotic constipation is an injectable called RELISTOR.its a sub-Q shot like insulin.after administering.....WATCH-OUT this stuff works wonders in that it unlocks the bowels all at once.we've been doing PD bout 3 years now and have really found out the hard way about being unconstipated really helps treatment while on the cycler.the only thing with miralax is it might take up to 36 hours to work.