Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't Sleep!! any ideas or suggestions??

I've been on dialysis for a year and I can NOT seem to sleep any more than 3 or 4 hours every night!! UGH what can I do?? Does anyone else have this problem?? What do you do?? Thanks for any suggestions/tips

I can suggest few ideas to you like:
    Keep a regular sleep schedule
    Create a relaxing bedtime routine
    Eat right and get regular exercise
    Know when to see a sleep doctor.
    Last edited by Sara; 04-30-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: unrelated link

good question! Ever since I started dialysis in 2008, I've had to take a sleep medication. Insomnia seems a common problem in ESRD patients. I take a generic Ambien med and, fortunately I don't suffer any side effects from it. If I don't take it, I sleep for a couple hours, if at all.

Devon
    Fistula - March 2008
    Began Dialysis - August 2008
    Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
    NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
    CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
    National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

I have the same problem. I only sleep a few hours at night. When I stared dialysis I hoped I'd sleep there. I go in a 5 am and thought I'd just go to sleep the whole time. I've been going for almost a year and I've never fallen asleep once. Sometimes I don't sleep at all before I leave for dialysis so you'd think I'd fall asleep once I get hooked up but no. Once I started to fall asleep and my arm that was hooked up had a reflex and flew up and hit the TV. Scared me to death. LOL. Maybe if it wasn't so COLD I could sleep...but I think it is just me because a lot of people sleep thru their trearment. Can't take Avian - bad reactions. It is also very noisy with techs slaming cabinet doors and garbage lids and lighting is very bright. Our clinic is talking about starting night time treatmenrt. Maybe it will be quieter and they'll have the lights down low. Think I'm getting on that list.

Yesterday, I watched in the news that people who don't have complete 8 hours of sleep may most likely acquire heart problem, liver problem or kidney problem. According to the expert if you want to have a complete 8 hours of sleep. You should avoid the following:

Placing television in your bed room.
    Avoid too much eating.
    Avoid too much hunger.
    Avoid drinking too much of water when you are about to sleep.
    Avoid having depressing feeling.

The things you can do to sleep are:
    Listen to relaxing music
    Drink milk

Usually if the day is sedentary (no exercise or activity), I will have trouble sleeping. I also find that a regular schedule helps. The caffeine makes it worse.

I was told to stay clear of dairy products.

I agree. I am stage 5, awaiting a transplant and starting HD. However, I work full time and find that, even though sleep is difficult, its better during the work week. When I am more relaxed on the weekends, sleep is very spotty. So, I believe activity is the most important thing. Now, if you are like me, you say, "no way, way too exhausted". I get it, believe me! Some days I cry when the alarm goes off, but I get up and get moving anyways. Even small amouts of activity are useful! Also, watch your diet carefully. the days I "cheat" (eat dairy for example), I am guaranteed a bad nights sleep.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by parkavenew@sbcglobal.net View Post
    I was told to stay clear of dairy products.
    I itch a lot with chocolate but did not think about the dairy. We went to Dairy Queen which has everything with chocolate, nuts and bananas.
    I thought that the strawberries would be ok with the ice cream but I was wrong. I still itched but not as much.
    Drinking hot milk to help me sleep also makes me itch. I agree....dairy products should be off limits for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by kcramer View Post
    I itch a lot with chocolate but did not think about the dairy. We went to Dairy Queen which has everything with chocolate, nuts and bananas.
    I thought that the strawberries would be ok with the ice cream but I was wrong. I still itched but not as much.
    Drinking hot milk to help me sleep also makes me itch. I agree....dairy products should be off limits for me too.
    Oh my...I itch like crazy! have you found ANYTHING topical that helps sooth the itchyness? I think I have tried most of what CVS has to offer, but no luck yet. I scratch in my sleep and wake up looking like I had a street fight with a mountain lion! Anyone with advice? I follow my diet pretty religiously...no better even when I dont cheat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast