Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry did you know that if you get a transplant they wont take the fistula or graft out!!!

my scumbag doctor and the people at my dialysis center have been on me to get the thing in my neck out and have afistula or graft put in, even though I am scheduled for a transplant at Johns Hopkins, very soon.

I would be in jail............If they mutilated me like that and then would not fix it, it would be all over as soon a the words left the surgeons mouth. Thats low to do that to someone and NOT tell them it was permanent. Who else could mutilate you and get away with it? THATS NOT RIGHT

I know 3 people this has happened to

Quote Originally Posted by Crankrod View Post
    my scumbag doctor and the people at my dialysis center have been on me to get the thing in my neck out and have afistula or graft put in, even though I am scheduled for a transplant at Johns Hopkins, very soon.

I would be in jail............If they mutilated me like that and then would not fix it, it would be all over as soon a the words left the surgeons mouth. Thats low to do that to someone and NOT tell them it was permanent. Who else could mutilate you and get away with it? THATS NOT RIGHT
    That's not necessarily true.

My neph told me a few months back I should have my fistula checked yearly while I still have it to make sure it's working fine. She mentioned that a malfunctioning fistula can contribute to bad circulation as well as heart probs.

The vascular surgeon explain how a fistula can make the heart work harder than it needs to.
    If a patient has not had any signs of rejection the fistula can be 'tied off " after a couple of yrs, sooner if it's putting a strain on the heart.

He explained that my veins are far too small to affect my heart. He added that we could discuss tying it in a couple yrs, unless I started having problems symptoms sooner.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Well, my mom had her graft left in place after her first transplant, and a good thing she did, because when the transplant failed about 5 years later, she was able to transition back to dialysis without having to use the dangerous heart catheter again. Keep in mind that MOST transplants DO fail during the lifetime of the recipient.

Quote Originally Posted by dac0214 View Post
    Well, my mom had her graft left in place after her first transplant, and a good thing she did, because when the transplant failed about 5 years later, she was able to transition back to dialysis without having to use the dangerous heart catheter again. Keep in mind that MOST transplants DO fail during the lifetime of the recipient.
    I completely agree with you.
    Unfortunately transplants (not all anyway) last a lifetime.
    My vascular surgeon decided not to tie off my fistula just in case I ever need it again.
    We also have to keep in mind that for some patients, a fistula can strain the heart to the point that it can weaken it.
    I was told that if at some point my fistula becomes a danger to my heart, my surgeon will tie it off in a way it can be reconnected to the artery if needed.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

The dialysis center is pushing my husband to get a fistula too. But, he has refused because he has a living donor that we are waiting to hear if she is cleared for surgery. If she is, the transplant will take place in Sept hopefully.
    My husband was supposed to have the transplant on July 24th, but on the 21st the donor surgeon discovered that the donor had TB as a baby and cancelled the surgery. The test to rule out latent TB in the kidney takes 8 weeks.
    So now he has had the perma- cath for 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankrod View Post

If you are already scheduled for the transplant, In my opinion, I would not get a fistula/graft. That is if the transplant was coming up in the near future. I would try to preserve the fistula for later use in life if needed. If it was going to be a long time, then you may want to consider it....

If you already have had a transplant If you have a fistula, there is nothing to take out. They can however tie the fistula off. As another member mentioned, they may due to if your having circulation issues as it could affect the heart.
    Others like to leave the fistula alone, for as you know, transplanted kidneys do not last forever and there is no way to tell how long they will last. Because of this, many recommend leaving the fistula alone if possible to use later if the transplanted kidney fails.
    As for grafts, i would think they could take them out and tie everything off, but not sure. I will look into this. Again, i would think they would want to leave in for possible use later one.
    It would be ultimately up to the patientl if they wanted to undo the fistula/graft after the transplant if having no issues..

///M3Riddler
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Preserved the fistula/graft , in case your transplant failed or any rejection may happen, you can go back to dialysis without making another fistula/graft.
    "If your not willing to risk the usual, you will have to settle for the ordinary"
    Hi guys,Visit my dialysis blog!
    www.Janshideout.com

After going through the pain to get a fistula created not once but twice in a one month period, I would fight ever getting it tied off. While I dislike the way they look, I love what they represent. LIFE for someone who may otherwise not have it. My most recent fistula was placed less than 12 hours ago. It is very painful but for now it allows me to live, to see my children grow up, to be me!

Did you realize that they usually don't remove the old kidneys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast