Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Spirulina safe?

Before diagnosis of CKD Stage 2, I've been taking Spirulina supplements for years. It is very nutritious but also has a high level of vegetable proteiin & amino acids. Can anyone please tell me whether spirulina is safe to continue consuming?

remove my original post.
    Last edited by IHaveFaith; 08-15-2012 at 04:58 PM.

FWIW, at stage 2, there are usually no dietary restrictions. HOWEVER, keep in mind that your kidneys are NOT able to process as much protein as a 'healthy' person can. Also, taking protein supplements WILL screw up your blood test results. At the very least, you need to let your doctor know just how much of this stuff you are taking BEFORE getting blood work. Ask your doctor.

My apologies. Disregard birthday wishes expressed for Dac. You are correct, it was inappropriate.

You two will get along well.

Thank you, I had asked for a sign and your pleasant post is just the spiritual confirmation I needed.
    Last edited by IHaveFaith; 08-15-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: remove original inappropriate post.

Quote Originally Posted by dac0214 View Post
    FWIW, at stage 2, there are usually no dietary restrictions. HOWEVER, keep in mind that your kidneys are NOT able to process as much protein as a 'healthy' person can. Also, taking protein supplements WILL screw up your blood test results. At the very least, you need to let your doctor know just how much of this stuff you are taking BEFORE getting blood work. Ask your doctor.
    Thanks for that. I've just had my worst creatinine & urea results today so I would just like to ask u for more details about how this can affect bloodwork. I'm hoping the results today are false!

Remove my original post.
    Last edited by IHaveFaith; 08-15-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Is this a forum to exchange info & experiences with others or isn't it? I don't know what planet you're on but our doctors don't have enough time to devote to us. It's a joke. I have a specific question I have asked & I expect someone with some knowledge of this to inform me of what they know. I don't want the typical kidney psych pep talk that provides nothing of any value. Your assumption that I don't get enough info from my docs is false & patronising.

Oh & do you always interrupt people's threads with birthday greetings to others - totally inappropriate.

An apology

IhaveFaith, I am sorry for the above venting. It's just been very hard to deal with the myriad of docs & heathcare workers as no one really seems to be very interested in devoting much time to a Stage 2. I am regarded as not being of any urgent priority. I keep calling various people & I feel that I am being fobbed off with the least amount of information they can provide. My doc is overstretched & works extremely long hours. It is a nightmare. And the underlying truth is just plain obscene - they're expecting me to go into renal failure & it's just a waiting game of a matter of years. I, in the meantime, just want to save myself from this disaster. But there is nothing medical science can offer me. The despair I feel is indescribeable.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLily View Post
    An apology

IhaveFaith, I am sorry for the above venting. It's just been very hard to deal with the myriad of docs & heathcare workers as no one really seems to be very interested in devoting much time to a Stage 2. I am regarded as not being of any urgent priority. I keep calling various people & I feel that I am being fobbed off with the least amount of information they can provide. My doc is overstretched & works extremely long hours. It is a nightmare. And the underlying truth is just plain obscene - they're expecting me to go into renal failure & it's just a waiting game of a matter of years. I, in the meantime, just want to save myself from this disaster. But there is nothing medical science can offer me. The despair I feel is indescribeable.
    Think nothing of it.

It was me who asked for divine intervention. You were just the messenger.

But I will say....... there are doctors out there who will help people in the early stages. But I guess all that information I'll save for another day, another place maybe, I was just trying to finish up some things here and wanted you to know, it's okay.

My best to you.
    Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Doctors WILL help you IF you demand action. Ideally you shouldn't need to make a fuss, but even the best nephrologist needs a 'kick in the posterior' once in a while. Still, your post raises a few things that you need to address yourself, first.

Stage 2 is very early in the process. At worst, you still have many, many years of good health left. And, also, keep in mind that blood numbers DO vary considerably from one day to the next. Your creatinine level especially will be affected by protein supplements. I think you need to make an appointment with a dietician if you plan to continue taking unusual dietary supplements. From what I've read about this particular supplement, I'm still not certain just what you are looking to gain by taking it, and a dietician might find a reason why you should not take it. At the very least, a dietician will be able to give you advice on things that are not only safe, but effective as well.

The problem with most dietary supplements is that people take the wrong supplements, or are working on bad advice. A full 90% of the supplements taken are ill-advised, and a few are actually dangerous. Many herbal supplements have hidden problems such as being anti-coagulants, which can REALLY cause problems for dialysis patients. My advice to you is this: NEVER, EVER take health/diet advice from anybody who is not qualified. You need to save your remaining kidney function for as long as you can, and playing 'doctor' with dietary supplements that you don't understand is a very good way to damage your kidneys. Beware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast