Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: after dialyzing

Re: after dialyzing

My husband skipped his treatment on Friday ... because he wanted a weekend with out feeling sick from diaylsis. He went in today ... after skipping Friday ... 2 kilos UNDER his dry weight. Of course ... the techs started saying ... ohh ... we need to lower your dry weight. They were supposed to only clean his blood ... and not pull any fluid off. He still ended up less than he went in as ... and feeling bad again. Fortunetly .. we have a very good RN. He had a long talk with her today ... and she did let him know that she has had a long talk with the Dr. Hopefully they can get this figured out ... OR get him on PD as fast as possible.

Smile Re: after dialyzing

Quote Originally Posted by mab View Post
    My husband skipped his treatment on Friday ... because he wanted a weekend with out feeling sick from diaylsis. He went in today ... after skipping Friday ... 2 kilos UNDER his dry weight. Of course ... the techs started saying ... ohh ... we need to lower your dry weight. They were supposed to only clean his blood ... and not pull any fluid off. He still ended up less than he went in as ... and feeling bad again. Fortunetly .. we have a very good RN. He had a long talk with her today ... and she did let him know that she has had a long talk with the Dr. Hopefully they can get this figured out ... OR get him on PD as fast as possible.
    mab, i hope all is well with you and your husband. After reading your post about your husband skipping a treatment, first, how long has he been on dialysis, may I ask? As I do believe that, once you have adjusted to dialysis, you will come accustom to what your dry weight should be. When you leave dialyzes each day, and check your dry weight, and whatever you eat or drink (consume in your diet), you should monitor whatever, especially all foods that are liquid at room temperature, because there are some foods that he may consume, that should be included as fluids. If you come in under your dry weight, and you have skipped that Friday before the weekend, then he must have not eaten or drink very much over the weekend, and if he had knowledge of that, he could possibly become keen as to how much kg to take off, because believe it or not, and I am here to tell you by experience, sometime the nurse or tech don"t quite know how much to take off, they would probably go by his last full hemo run. If you are below your dry weight, it could be even a case of him losing some of his muscle weight (dry weight) over that weekend, and most of the time when there is too much fluid being taken off, it could cause cramping, which means they are going into your muscle weight, which is not fluid weight, and believe me, you will feel it and know it as well. I hope this helps. And if he is seriously thinking about PD, in my opinion, PD is so much less taxing on the body than hemo, and yes, i have experienced this, from many years of hemo dialysis history. Though I never dreamed possible, that I would end up back on hemo, but of course, developing an umblical hernia, sent me back to hemo temporarily last year for six months, and that is another story for another time, which I would be happy to share with you. Hit me up on private message on davita, anytime. I hope to hear from you real soon.
    take care and all the best to you and your husband.
    Glo

I found a good site that answered all my questions.

http://gil1.home.pipeline.com/esrd/

read about gils battle with pkd

dicknh

After spending forty years off and on dialysis (transplants in between) I can tell you that there are many odd feelings someone can get and it depends upon many things...how much fluid is being removed, what the labs are like (if potassium is too high when starting a treatment), blood flow rate, even having a cold..lots of things.
    But I was a bit disturbed when I read 'one tech gets it right.' EXCUSE ME....YOU are in control of your treatments...the techs and nurses are there to help YOU. If you feel your blood flow pump needs to come down and your URR is at a good level (need to ask the nurse to go over your lab values) then you can TELL them to turn the stinkin' thing down! It is your body and making wise choices is up to you! That is the freedom I feel even being tethered to a machine for a few hours three times a week. It is up to you to keep track of your labs, your fluids, your diet, your meds...then you have the tools you need to make wise decisions on your part! Some days, I know my labs and all the rest are good, I will skim 15 minuties off my treatment...I am made to sign a 'against medical blah blah' paper but that's cool..no problem. Some days I feel I need a longer treatment and ask for an additional 15 minutes..if I am not taking anyone's chair time away, it is given to me. This is not an exact science! Best of luck!

Hey there! You are not alone in this. There are a couple ways to resolve this. One is to go through the channels at the unit and the other is to contact your local ESRD Network and they will take the complaint and work on it for you. Oftentimes, the Network is better because they have a great deal of clout in this matter. Find your network at http://www.esrdnetworks.org/esrd-net.../esrd-networks then call and make a complaint. Also, join your local network so you can work to help others. If you're having problems, others are too!

I know what it's like to be in your situation. I'm sorry you have to go through this. It's very difficult. But help is on the way, I'm sure.

Best of luck.
    Fistula - March 2008
    Began Dialysis - August 2008
    Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
    NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
    CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
    National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

Some updates ... because of the way my husband feels after diaylsis ... he had started AMA off the machine when he started feeling better. So doctor is now threatening to not let him get on home diaylsis,
    BUT ... I think we are making some progress on what is causing him to feel so bad. we are waiting on the blood tests results ... but we saw a Neurolgist Monday ... and she thinks that they may be pulling too many minerals or electroliytes off him during diaylsis. She gave him some medicine to help with his burn feet and hands ... and that has made such a big difference !!! Wednesday was the first time that he felt human after diaylsis ... for the last year and a half !!! I could actually be around him without getting mu head bite off !!! So keep us in your thoughts that the Neurolgist finds out the problem !!!

It appears there's a huge disconnect between all the parties in this. Might I suggest you get hold of the ESRDNetwork and ask them to help you with resolving this problem. The ESRD Network is empowered by CMS/Medicare to act on behalf of patients. You can file a complaint and they will help. There are various network offices depending on your location. Find the office location and phone number at www.ESRDNetworks.org.

From their website home page: "The Forum of ESRD (End-stage Renal Disease) Networks advocates for the organizations that monitor the quality of chronic kidney disease, dialysis and kidney transplant care in the United States."

I hope you get this resolved. Your husband shouldn't have to suffer more than he already is. And thank you for being his caregiver.

Devon
    Fistula - March 2008
    Began Dialysis - August 2008
    Fistula Revision - Feb 2011

Dialysis Patient Citizens, Patient Ambassador
    NW14 ESRD Network, Patient Advisory Committee Member
    CDC Infections Control Discussion Panel Member
    National Kidney Foundation Peer-to-Peer Mentor

Blog: www.DevonTexas.com

My Mom has terrible leg cramps during dialysis when they are taking water off. They used to take water off occasionally, now it's eveery time she goes. The pain is so bad she talks about not going anymore. She has been having very low blood pressure after dialysis also. Her dialysis is for 2 hours & 15 minutes. Does anyone know why she is having such bad leg cramps?

Mab,I too have experienced the severe cramping. I am relatively small and do not over drink being on peritoneal dialysis for over 11+ years. Dialysis is a deicate process. Wnen the machines run more slowly the patient has to be on the machine longer and there is a danger of clotting. I do homehemodialysis now and my care partners(my husband and son) are able to adjust speed and back off if I start to cramp. This type of diaysis is ideal as you don't have different techs all the time. You are in the comfort of your own home, can dialize when you and your care giver want to during the day not someoneelse's schedule. It takes all in all about 5 hours start to finish. There is training which must take place,. Ask at your dialysis center ifit is an option for you. It is gentler because you are doing it more times during the week. Hope this will help you not have to suffer. God Bless, Hoofpkr

Thank you so much. Home dialysis is not an option for my Mom. She is almost blind also. We all tried to talk her into it years ago but she was afraid. She even went to a ladies house that does it at home & watched her going through the process, but she didn't want any part of it. She is 80 years old. It seems like every day after dialysis she feels awful. Her blood pressure is also low after dialysis now. These are new problems for her. Thank you so much for your response.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast