Subscribe to this Thread…

Thread: Gout problem

Question Gout problem

My sister spent the weekend here and when she got home and woke up this morning, she had the gout really bad. We are trying to figure out if the it was because of the cream of wheat cereal. The only thing she ate here was boiled cabbage, blueberry cobbler, coffee and cream of wheat with a little butter and half and half. She had cream of wheat, 2 days in a row and I tried looking up foods that could of given her the gout. I know that cream of wheat is not a whole grain and is low in potassium and phosphorus and that is why I suggested she can eat this. Am I wrong? About 4 days ago, she did eat asparagas, and I know that is bad for the gout. Could it be that the asparagas is the problem or the cream of wheat??

Re: Gout problem

Check the website for purine content of foods and you will find wheat is low in purines, as you already know asparagus is high in purines it also may be some additional foods she has forgotten she had eaten. Hope her gout clears up soon.
    Diabetic oct 2011
    CKD Diagnosed 2009
    GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Re: Gout problem

nanbridg, I think it was all the asparagas she ate a few days before getting the gout. Her GFR is currently 15 and her creatinim is 3.3 and BUN is 52, Elbumin 2, phosphorus 6.9 as of Feb. 20th. To top it all off, she has the gout real bad now and I hope it gets better! I am making lists now of the foods she can and cannot eat. Thank you for your response.
    sisteranne

I hope your sister is getting better. My husband is diabetic with lots of other health issues and now has gout again...Do you or anyone out there , know what med if any can help gout WITHOUT causing more damage to the kidney?

I successfully take allapurinol 200 mg daily and it has controlled my gout. My nephrologist ordered it.

I was on Allapurinol for 1 month and my GFR dropped my doc stopped it and I'm waiting to see if there is in improvement. There is anothet drug Uloric but it is quite costly . Currently I'm symptom free despite high uric acid levels. Hopefully your sister is feeling better.
    Diabetic oct 2011
    CKD Diagnosed 2009
    GFR range 22-33 goes up and down

Asparagus,caffeine and wheat(niacin) are all gout triggers.I have found that taking 1 or 2 veggie capsules of celery seed has all but eliminated my gout pain.Im serious it works within 10 minutes if I take them at a onset of gout.You have to follow a low purine diet and especially stay off beef.Its a major trigger.Even though my uric acid is 11.4 I still have very few attacks if taking celery seed.Take it once daily as a preventative.Its amazing!

Thank you putter. I too, have suffered from the gout...it always seems to effect my right foot.. and big toe.. and I remember the last time I had it.. I had eaten asparagus... I'm thankful that the gout only last 3-4 days.. and goes away on it's on.. but, I will certainly keep the veggie capsules of celery seed in mind...

Smile gout

Uloric is a good medicine for gout and is o.k. for kidneys. It is very expensive. 200 to 500 month. I have been on it for about 3 years. It took 1 year to kick in good for me. I was having gout at least 1 x month until then. Another good thing is black cherry juice. I drank that but it raised my blood sugars. Now I have found a capsule form of black cherry concentrate. Take 2 tablets daily. No gout in 2 years. Yea!!