Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Cholesterol Rising!!!

Before I knew that I had CKD, I kept my cholesterol down my eating low-fat dinners and everything low fat. I had my gall bladder removed in 1997 and everytime I eat anything but low fat my cholesterol goes up. Now I find that the low fat items have more sodium to add flavor but the regular is better for my kidneys. How do you kept your cholesterol in range without harming your kidneys? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:confused
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

Re: Cholesterol Rising!!!

I remember watching a Dr Oz show where he discussed skipping meals and the effect it has on cholesterol levels.
    Supposedly
    Bile acts as an emulsifier -- it breaks down large globules of fat into smaller particles so they can mix better with the enzymes that digest fat.
    Whatever amount of bile not used is then turned into cholesterol.

I'll try to look for the article to post a link to the show.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Since I don't have a gall bladder its going to be hard to find a diet that will keep my cholesterol down but kept my kidneys from any further damaged. I wonder if it might be that I have to take Lipator or something like that. I realy need to talk to my GP about this since I had my gall bladder ou way before I starte seeing her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] distal renal tubular acidosis, stage 3 kidney disease, high blood pressure, osteoperosis, Sjogren's, non-diabetic osteoarthriis and an overactive bladder GFR was 55 as of 8/2/10 Linda

I from the diet given to my sister post her gallbladder removal was :
    AVOID greasy foods.

Here's what I found:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/gallbl...r-surgery.aspx
    After Gallbladder Surgery: Foods to Avoid

While your body adjusts, it is a good idea to avoid high-fat foods for a few weeks after having gallbladder surgery. High-fat foods include:

• Foods that are fried, like French fries and potato chips
    • High-fat meats, such as bacon, bologna, sausage, ground beef, and ribs
    • High-fat dairy products, such as cheese, ice cream, cream, whole milk, and sour cream
    • Pizza
    • Foods made with lard or butter
    • Creamy soups or sauces
    • Meat gravies
    • Chocolate
    • Oils, such as palm and coconut oil
    • Skin of chicken or turkey

Of course, it would be a great idea to discuss with PCP/GP about a statin.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

The only one of those food that I using is unsalted butter. I can quit useing that. I just use it for taste anyway. Last year before I knew that much about the kidney diet I was eating a lot of chocolate candy that had just small amounts of sodium like M & Ms. I've given this all up now since I found out that even the caffene in chocolate can hurt the kidneys. So I'm going to have to talk to my GP soon. She can talk to my Neph and see what he wants me to do. Thanks for your replies.

My husband & I are both on Vytorin for cholesterol & tryclerides.

The chocolate you mentioned maybe part of my BP problem.... My hand has been in the M&M jar along with several other sweets..way too many over the last several wks. (my downfall). I was doing so good prior to Thanksgiving.

Today is a new day!! I've eaten very little so far. (night time is my problem time) but all the chocolate is gone!!!

Also, I went back to having 1 cup of coffee in the mornings..(was having decaf) is just 1 cup bad for the kidneys? Guess I better stop it & see if there is a difference with my BP.

What do you two drink in the morning?? Decaf ok???

Thanks

I just drink water in the mornings. With caffene I'm way to jumpy all day. It also seems to make my heart speed up and beat to fast. I even had to go to the emergency room to have them help it slow down. So no caffene for me not even chocolate. I usually eat around ll in the morning as I find with Sjogren's my stomach doesn't want food until them.

I have heated water in a cup & added lemon juice (since I stay so cold & like something warm in the a.m.)
    This a.m. I had a hot Apple Cider mix drink (in the hot chocolate section) very low sodium & good.

Granny, have you never been on Cholesterol Med?

No, I've never been on cholesterol medicine. My only went up after I had my gall bladder removed in 1997. I also started to gain weight so my GP but me on a 1200 calorie a day diet. She had me use Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice so I would know exactly how many calories I was getting a day. They are also low fat. It worked quite well as I lose about 40 pounds in about 1 year. But now with my kidney I can't eat those anymore. Cooking on my own has helped as I haven't gain all the weight back but the cholesterol is slowing rising. This can be good for my kidneys either. So I guess I will have to talk to my GP and Neph soon.

When I first found out I had Ckd this time last yr & I was so confused about the diet..(I'm really still confused to tell you the truth - )

The Dietician I went to told me since I was having a hard time to pick some very low sodium frozen dinners (Lean Cuis.) so I could know exactly what I was eating. Breakfast & lunch was easier but dinner time is harder for me. . That's always been my hungry time. There are only about 3 dinners that are pretty low in sodium & she suggested I just do that about 3 nights a wk.

I'm thinking I may need to do this again to try & me get back on track.

Maybe 3 days a wk would be okay & try & eat salmon (good omega's) tuna, etc. the other nights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast