Subscribe to this Thread…

Price of Drugs - US vs. Canada

Does anyone know of any company in the US that does quality control of the drugs that are made in Canada? I have one very expensive drug that costs less than half in Canada. My Dr. at Group Health is concerned about the quality. Personally, I believe the companies in Canada have good quality control. I think it's all about money--keeping the money here. I'm not sure at this point if she would endorse it. Does anyone have any information about this? ...maybe someone from Canada.

Thanks, Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Re: Price of Drugs - US vs. Canada

Toni,

Isn't Angie (Angie's Kidney) from Canada? Maybe you could get in touch with her if no one else has any suggestions.

Good luck! (Hope you are doing okay)
    Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Toni, I'm from Canada. (Vancouver, BC) Get me the name of the drug and i'll see what I can find out for you.
    Meds are usually cheaper here but we have public health care system.
    I'll ask my doctor or local pharamacists.. let me know your drug name

LanaB
    TRANSPLANT SCHEDULED NOV 14, 2011 THANKS TO MY AMAZING HUSBAND!!!
    Today oct 11th.Still no dialysis -and at 9% GFR,
    think i'm gonna make it!!!

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
    Benign Glomulersclerosis- not hereditary, no known cause
    Non-diabetic, normal BP
    Hospital error 2008 caused me to plummet straight to CKD5
    07/2011 -CKD 5 -GFR 11 - Not on Dialysis
    Awaiting transplant, doing eval, hoping for live donor match

Toni!!

I also forgot to mention but my brother in law (and sister) lives in San Diego and he works for major drug company there. I'm sure he will know for sure..

Lana

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
    Non-diabetic, normal BP

Hi Lana, The drug is Mesalamine 400mg. It's the generic of Asacol. I almost went through with the order from Quality Prescription Drugs based in Canada. The savings is half. Thought I would try my Drs. opinion 1 more time. But if you can get any information that would be great. Thank you so much!

Toni

Here's something I found. I have to ad that once I overheard my neph and her assistant talk about ordering Aranesp from Canada, whether that happened or not, IDK.

http://healthinsurance.about.com/od/...pharmacies.htm
    Why Are Prescription Drug Prices Lower in Other Countries?

Some foreign governments, such as those in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the European Union, control the maximum amount that can be charged for prescription medications, which holds down drug prices.

The U.S. government does not control prices for prescription medications and allows drug companies to compete openly. In the U.S., the costs of researching, developing, and advertising new brand name medications are passed to customers as part of a medication’s price.

Additionally, since people in the U.S. are more likely to sue than people in other countries, some of the cost of prescription medications in the U.S. is due to lawsuits against drug companies.

Are the Drugs I Buy in a Foreign Country Safe?

Medications you buy in a foreign country may be of the same quality as those you buy in the U.S. In fact, your prescription medications may have been manufactured in the U.S. Moreover, some medications sold in this country have been made in American-owned factories located in other countries.

However, you cannot tell if a drug is safe just by looking at it. If the medication is counterfeit, has a different strength, has not been stored properly, or is not labeled correctly, you are at risk of serious health problems.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is concerned that drugs you buy outside the U.S. may present the following health risks:

• Some imported medications may have been made using unsafe procedures.
    • Some imported medications are fake.
    • Some imported medications may not have been checked for safety or effectiveness.
    • Some imported medications may be addictive or use dangerous ingredients.
    • An imported medication may not have information for treating side effects.
    • The medication’s label, instructions, and list of possible side effects may be in a language you do not understand.
    • The label of some imported medications may make claims or suggest uses that have not been approved.
    • Some imported medications are not safe when taken without adequate medical supervision.

I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

HI Toni, still checking into this for you. But I looked at the website you were talking about. Turns out it is located in Surrey BC which is a city only a few (20 min drive) south of Vancouver on the US border.
    We are only only 2 and half hour drive from Seattle. I noticed it is licensed from the BC College of pharamceuticals and it looks very legit to me since its a local pharmacy doing the dispensing.
    I will find out more for you though but wanted to give you my first opinion.

Marina's information is very interesting too. I wouldnt just trust any 'pharamacist' website... you really dont know what your getting.. but in this case I can even drive by and check it out. Not too far from me. I live in another subrurb just south of the city..

Anyways, will get back to you soon.

Lana

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
    Non-diabetic, normal BP

Lana, I really appreciate all you have done. I don't want you to go out of your way, driving to the company but thanks so much for the offer. I feel pretty confident that this is a reputable company. Next step is to get the okay from my Dr. since she has to approve the prescription. I hope your doing well. Thank you again!

Marina, Appreciate the information. I've gotten mixed opinions/reactions by different Drs. of mine about getting drugs outside of the US. And I think we have to be cautious about online pharmacies. We have such a problem here with tapping the costs of drugs. What my Drs. do agree upon is that the high cost of drugs in the US is rediculous. My GI doc once said it doesn't cost any more to make my expensive drug than it does an aspirin. Frustrating!

Your welcome Toni. It looks like a reputable company to me as well. I'm sure its fine. Glad to see you save some money...

take care,

Lana

Diagnosed 2005 CKD3.
    Non-diabetic, normal BP

Hi all. My Dad just passed six weeks ago from a stroke but he was CKD stage 3 so he was on kidney meds. We ordered quarterly from Optimum so the Renvela bottles are 270 tablets (800mg) - I have two - one with the seal intact. and a dozen boxes of the 1meg Zemplar, 7 tablets each - again all sealed. I know these meds are wicked expensive so I'm happy to give them away to someone who needs them and is already on them from their doctor's Rx. It just seems like a sin to throw all of this out when I'm sure there are people in need. If you would like me to ship these to you please send me an email at dmscott@us.ibm.com.