Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    mjd

Question kidney failure and gout

I have recently been diagnosed with fourth stage esrd. Had a biopsy that indicated renal faliure was due to gout. I am wondering if there are others with this diagnosis and what your experiences have been.

gout

The last time I went to the nephrologist he asked me if i'd ever had gout. I wondered why he asked me that but didn't pursue it further. I've never had gout that I know of and am not really sure what it is. The next time I go I'll ask him why he asked me that. Just thought it was weird.

Pd4Me

Gout

I'm not sure why your DR. asked that, although I can tell you that gout flare-ups are caused by uric acid which forms a type of crystal that attaches to our joints. In order to stop the flare-ups our body must rid itself of those uric acid crystals. So i'm thinking since the kidneys clean out our system that those crystals affect it.
    Of course lets not forget that one of the drugs that is used to cure gout is PREDNISONE which is an steroid. I resently found out that cortisone which is also a steroid (that has been used for gout on me personally) can demage the kidney. Ofcourse high doses of steroids is what damages the kidneys.
    I'm a diabetic and have battled with gout flare-up throughout the years. I no longer use prednisone (thank goodness). I have admit that at one time prednisone was a miracle drug for gout for me, it was the only thing that really worked............but man the side affects! Being diabetic it really took a toll on my sugars, and the moodswings, the puffy face, it increased my appetite. But, at the time of the gout attack all those side affects were minor compared to the pain of gout.
    Sorry I got a bit carried away with the subject.
    Marina

daffyduck
    I have gout and I am lucky I haven't had a flare up in about two years. When I had my first attack, it took about three weeks to get rid of it completely. My doctor gave me medicine (don't remember what it was called but I know it was a steriod) he was very cautious about it do to having slight kidney problems. I would then after that get a flare up about once a month. My doctor gave me the steriods one more time after that but since I was having them so often he stopped the steriod because of the kidneys and just told me to keep my foot up for a day or so and for the pain take tylenol. So that worked.

I also have heart problems as well so I have to see a Cardiologist on a regular basis. He was also concerned about my kidneys and the fact I have gout. He prescribed Alluprinol, I take this on a daily basis and it keeps my uric acid level down in my blood stream. and my Kidney doctor is ok with me taking it, so I am taking his word that it is a safe drug for my gout.

It makes sense that I have it due to the fact I only have 24% kidney function.

1093ras

Foot and leg pain

My 81 year old father-in-law has been on dialysis for more than two years and is complaining of moderate to severe pain in both feet and legs up to the knee. Is dialysis causing this? His wife rubs him down in AsperCreme but that is no longer offering any relief. We are looking for some help!

computergeek

Gout

I have ckd. Have about 30 % kidney function. Not on dialysis yet. Also have gout. Have had it for several years. Have taken allopurinol for some time to keep uric acid down. I have not had a serious attack for sometime. Allopurinol seems to work fine and it is not a steroid. I think gout and kidney problems must be somehow connected. I have polycystic kidneys.

yolanda127
    I am new to this sight, I don't know where to post a new thread, but I also was diagnosed with uric acid and have been complaining to my doctors of joint pains for quite sometime and I also found out last week that I have a defienciency in vitamin d 25 hydroxy, my neuphroligist that I have had for 2 years skipped on me, so now I have a new one. My createnine went up from 1.8 to 2.1 in three months and my new doctor tells me that I'm am now in stage four and I should look to be on dyalisis within the next year, he said it has to do with your age and weight and sex. Now I have a dilemma, I had brain anyurism last year it was repaired with coils and it is now time to get a angiogram with contrast to see if the coils are still intact, I'm scared to death, I don't know what to do. My father was on dialysis, he went through hell for three years, I don't think that is what I want to do, I want to prolong my life as is as long as I can. I have had four surgeries in the last 12 months and now I'm facing this crainal angio, I don't know what to do about this contrast. I'm sorry for interrupting this thread, I don't know where to post. Sorry for my spelling and grammar, my first language is Italian

Yolanda, unless I am mistaken, I thought a createnine level of 2.1 was only Stage 3??'
    I'm about the same, and just found a book that sounds interesting: "Coping with Kidney Disease, a 12 step program to help you avoid dialysis" by Mackenzie Walser, MD.
    I just bought it, and while more technical than I like, it appears to have a lot of good info..
    When I beat cancer 30 years ago, I read a lot of positive books on the subject, and did a lot of healing mental imagery/meditation/prayer and worked at being a positive contributor to my own cure. Time for me, and you, to get on that positive band wagon again.
    Best Wishes to you! Ted in Bend, Oregon

joannelujan@msn.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd
    I have recently been diagnosed with fourth stage esrd. Had a biopsy that indicated renal faliure was due to gout. I am wondering if there are others with this diagnosis and what your experiences have been.
    my father had severe gout for many years and finaly died of polycystic kidney disease at age 67. i didnt know there was a connection between the two as well.

Kheymann

Gout identification?

I have been on Hemo dialysis now for nearly 8 years come September. I was Diagnosed with ESRD with total failure in September of 1999 and have had Type I diabetes since 1976.

I have had what seems to be described by those here in this forum thread as Gout but recently I have been having severe outbreaks of this.. a simple walk to the mailbox and back and my legs are swollen red, inflamed and very painful even with my Neuropathy as it is.

I will link 2 pictures of my right and left leg because what I am finding on the net varies so greatly I cannot be sure.

http://images1.filecloud.com/541895/Picture%20001.jpg
    http://images1.filecloud.com/541897/Picture%20002.jpg

Pictures are of my inner left and inner right leg, the swelling and redness becomes more sparatic the closer to my knee it gets but does not go above the knee.

I have seen some mention of certain Steroids and in the past I have taken them for other things like Bells Palsy with disasterous results to my bloodsugars.. 900+ range in a controlled hospital enviornment.

I also have late stage cardio vascular disease and dozens of stents from the diabetes.. so treatment alternatives are going to have to be a cautious step.. I just wish to get a proper identification on what I have since the Doctors keep failing to want to worry about it.. at least this time i have the picture of a flareup which like this they take upto 5 weeks to go away..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast