Subscribe to this Thread…
    Jayboid

Chronic pain & ESRD?

Help!, my partner has esrd and is on dialysis he also has extreme chronic pain. His pain Dr. doesn't seem to know about renal failure. They have had him on everything from Nubain to Oxycontin. Would anybody know what time released pain killer wont react with his desease. I'm desperate

jack02
    Well I suppose you should not be relying on user experiences here rather it would be better for you to take the advice of someone who has substantial knowledge in this aspect. Individual body types may drastically differ so there is also no point in coming to a conclusion seeing the treatment of someone else.

chronic pain

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboid
    Help!, my partner has esrd and is on dialysis he also has extreme chronic pain. His pain Dr. doesn't seem to know about renal failure. They have had him on everything from Nubain to Oxycontin. Would anybody know what time released pain killer wont react with his desease. I'm desperate
    Then I suggest that he talk to the nephrologists about it since the pain Dr. isnt very well acquainted with ERSD. Its hard to get doctors to communicate with one another to a satisfactory conclusion at times. The nephrologists can prescribe any medications he feels is necessary. AND knows how medications will react to the dialysis machines. I DO know that some medication will be removed from the bloodstream thru dialysis treatment and some medications will not. Most likely though, he will have to take his pain medication while treatment is occuring IF in fact the dialysis machine is removing it. A dialysis unit is not set up to treat pain relief thru meds or any other means. Their function is to keep an ESRD patients blood from being overtoxicfied thru dialysis treatment. They are trained in responsive treatment in the case of emergency though. It might be to his best interest to be treated in a hospital where both pain relief and dialysis can be done simultaneously until a viable program for both are obtained.