Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chinese Food Recipes

I love Chinese food, but as my dietician stated, it's usually high in sodium. So, my question is how to find recipes for stuff like stir fry, fried rice, etc that are low in sodium, and if substituting low-sodium soy sauce is a viable option. Any ideas? I like that Chinese food usually has lots of veggies & that items are not completely cooked to mushiness. I love the crisp-tender veggies & lean meats that are usually in Chinese dishes. Please help! Thanks in advance!
    Stage 5 ESDR
    Diabetic & Hypertension
    Currently on CAPD & waiting to start CCPD!
    Diagnosed 8/4/2011 PD started 8/29/11
    2 hospitalizations in August 2011

Let go & let GOD !

Re: Chinese Food Recipes

Did you see this one?

http://www.davita.com/recipes/beef,-...sserole/r/5416

I'm gonna see if I can google around and find some more recipes for you from other sites.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Even low sodium soy sauce is loaded with the kidneys worst enemy; SALT.
    here's Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce info:
    Ingredients
    WATER, WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE; LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% AS A PRESERVATIVE.

http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free...Substitute.htm

Soy Sauce Substitute

No, it's not real soy sauce. But i think you might be surprised how little you'll notice the difference from the 300 mg or more per tablespoon stuff. This was sent to me by a reader of the newsletter, who said it came from a better homes and gardens low sodium cookbook. Ironically, that must be the only book they ever published that i don't have. I usually make a double or triple batch. It keeps well in the refrigerator, and a half a cup never seems to go very far.

2 T Sodium Free Beef Bouillon
    2 t Red Wine Vinegar
    1 t Molasses
    1/8 t Ground Ginger
    ds Black Pepper
    ds Garlic Powder
    3/4 c Water

I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Glad I asked! I need to make a grocery list & was gonna buy "low" sodium soy sauce, but I will make the one listed above! I find that making my own stir-fry dishes is a great way to use up veggies before they go bad in the fridge & it helps to make the meals stretch enough to feed 3 people, especially when I'm low on meat/chicken. It's also a nice switch from my usual menus. I think I'm also gonna just try adjusting any regular recipes & omitting or at least lessening the amounts of salt/soy sauce. Just need to find a way to make the sauces more kidney friendly. I'll post what does & what doesn't work as I discover them. Thanks!!
    Stage 5 ESDR
    Diabetic & Hypertension
    Currently on CAPD & waiting to start CCPD!
    Diagnosed 8/4/2011 PD started 8/29/11
    2 hospitalizations in August 2011

Let go & let GOD !

There was a white soy sauce type of thing I found at the 99 cent store and it only has like 30mg of sodium per serving. I will see if I can get the name of the product and share it with you guys. Jesse really likes it in lieu of the regular soy sauce.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Thanks for opening up this topic for discussion! I was wondering if anyone knows if the Soy Sauce alternative from Dr.Braggs is Renal Friendly? I found it at a local market and its very low in sodium and tastes great - just like soy! I am just not sure if its one of those 'healthy' foods that might be good for me but not for my husband. It has amenio acids and it higher in protien. Just wondering if anyone knows about this... i emailed the company and asked them but did not get a response. I would post a link but my posts get blocked when I do. Its called Dr. Braggs liquid amenios...if anyone know if this is safe please let me know!
    thanks
    husband diagnosed with igaN, May 2011, Stage 4
    BP meds and fish oil x15
    Currently being monitored monthly

Quote Originally Posted by smm80 View Post
    Thanks for opening up this topic for discussion! I was wondering if anyone knows if the Soy Sauce alternative from Dr.Braggs is Renal Friendly? I found it at a local market and its very low in sodium and tastes great - just like soy! I am just not sure if its one of those 'healthy' foods that might be good for me but not for my husband. It has amenio acids and it higher in protien. Just wondering if anyone knows about this... i emailed the company and asked them but did not get a response. I would post a link but my posts get blocked when I do. Its called Dr. Braggs liquid amenios...if anyone know if this is safe please let me know!
    thanks
    I hate to say it but depending on your phosphorus level, it is a NO.

Dr Braggs liquid aminos is made from soy beans. Soybeans are a high phosphorus food.
    Not all manufacturers list phosphorus contents in their products yet,
    although soon might change.
    here's the info on Dr Braggs liquid aminos,
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Thanks Marina, I appreciate your input. My husbands phos levels have been high. Last month he was at 5.5. His neph did not mention anything to us, but from everything I have been learning on these boards I think his phos is something we need to watch and lower. Well, it will be a sad tonight when I tell him no more liquid amenos! Its too bad because the sodium was low so I was crossing my fingers that it was ok for him to eat with rice but something told me it was too good to be true. At least we know now and it's one more food we can limit or eliminate and hopefully lower his phos levels a bit.
    I just got a food processor so I think I will try to process some ginger root and garlic from the recipe above and see what happens.
    Thanks!
    husband diagnosed with igaN, May 2011, Stage 4
    BP meds and fish oil x15
    Currently being monitored monthly

Steamed rice is a lower-sodium alternative to other fried rice. Soy products such as tofu can reduce blood pressure. Avoid dipping tofu into the soy sauce.

LWB

Did anyone notice the serving size? 1/2 teaspoon. That is literally a few drops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast