Subscribe to this Thread…

Low Salt Flavor Enhancers

Low Salt Flavor Enhancers
    http://www.kidney.org/patients/kidne...seasonings.cfm

Itís easy to stop using the salt shaker and replace the garlic salt and onion salt with garlic powder and onion powder in the kitchen. In fact, there is a large selection of salt-free seasonings available if you take the time to look. Mrs. Dash is great and very popular, but there are many more options to help those with chronic kidney disease be creative in the kitchen, including:

Barbecue Grilling Spices & Rubs
    Cajun Creole
    Chinese Five Spices
    Fajita Seasoning
    Fresh garlic
    Fresh lemon or lime juice
    Italian Seasoning
    Lemon Pepper
    Pepper
    Paprika
    Poultry Seasoning
    Stir Fry Ginger
    Szechwan Seasoning
    Thai Seasoning

Additionally, you can enjoy small amounts of green pepper or onion, vinegar and wine. Avoid using salt substitutes or seasonings that contain potassium chloride. Although most salt substitutes do not contain sodium, most have a large amount of potassium. Potassium can actually be more harmful to you than salt.

Following are some suggestions for blending spices with specific foods:.
    Allspice~ beef, eggs, fish, fruits, vegetables, beverages, baked products, desserts
    Basil~ lamb, fish, eggs, vegetables, sauces
    Bay Leaf ~beef, chicken, veal, fish
    Cinnamon~ chicken, pork, fruits, baked products, beverages, vegetables
    Cloves~ beef, pork, fruits
    Curry (salt-free)~ beef, chicken, lamb, veal, eggs
    Dill~ chicken, veal, fish, vegetables
    Ginger~ chicken, pork, fruits, vegetables, baked products, beverages
    Marjoram~ eggs, fish, meats, poultry
    Mustard Powder~ meats, poultry, fish, eggs, vegetables
    Parsley~ beef, chicken, fish, salads, sauces
    Rosemary~ beef, lamb, chicken, turkey
    Sage~ meats, fish, stuffing, vegetables
    Savory~ egg dishes, meats, poultry, stuffing, rice, vegetables
    Tarragon~ chicken, fish, meats, egg dishes, sauces, vegetables
    Thyme~ fish, meats, poultry, eggs, stuffing, vegetables

It is best to crush or rub leaf-type herbs to release their full flavor. Remember, herbs and spices should not overpower the taste of your food, so add them in small amounts. However, since salt enhances or increases flavors, you may need slightly more of a spice than a standard recipe calls for
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: Low Salt Flavor Enhancers

Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

Thanks for the great tips on spices! I definitely will refer to them. How do you print out messages! I am keeping a renal diet notebook and would like to add this to my book.

I was diagnosed with stage 4 about 6 years ago and just recently learned that dialysis is on the very near horizon. It scares the daylights out of me, and feel like it's a death sentence, even though I know it's not. Just my crazy depression setting in. My doctor didn't put me on any diet until just recently. Don't ask me why....and am wondering if I had watched what I ate years ago, if my recent decline wouldn't have been so fast.

so many things to learn about this disease, and I'm seeing so many things that I haven't heard of before. Am going to do the Kidney School, in fact, I've started it. But everything was so overwhelming that I had to take a break from it all. Is this normal? Or am i just crazy?

Love this site! Very informative and you can go at your own pace. Good luck to everyone who is on here dealing with this disease. All of us are in a "special kidney club" which none of us want to be in or join. But we are, and learning is the key to power ...!!!
    Thanks to all who have posted and shared messages with all of us.

I inheirited PKD from my mother, who died from it after years on dialysis..I spent most of my adult life in fear of dialysis and ignored my condition for a long time. Eventually my family threw me in the car and took me to the hospital. I have tolerated it well and I feel much better. It is inconvenient, but a small price to pay to live well and see my grandchildren.

kkri

I love Paul Prudhomme Magic Salt Free spice and have ordered all his other salt free seasonings. They are great. Mrs Dash doesn't cook to Portuguese tastes.

I use many low-salt seasonings. The 2 creole seasonings I use is Tony Chauchere's (I hope I spelled that correct) and also Old Bay. they are great!

Penzey's Spices based in Milwaukee has many salt-free seasonings, and the catalog has a symbol for the salt-free options. The website is www.penzeys.com and you can order online or request a subscription to their catalog. They have many unique options!

Love Penzey's spices!!

It's also pretty easy to make your own salt-free seasonings. Try this Salt-free Cajun Seasoning when you're craving a kick: http://bit.ly/1m9xPKw

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons dried thyme
    2 teaspoons dried oregano