Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

I had a heartbypass operations in Sept 2009. I am diabetic too. The doctors performed several test on me before the operations, one of the things I asked was how my kidney was because they told me that my creatinine was 1.56. After the operations I was told that my kidneys were normal. I started dieting and have finally put down the lab numbers except for creatinine which was 2.11 in Sept 2010. I was given ketostiril by my cardio and was told to comeback after six months. Creatinine went down to 1.86 and has since lurked in this area up to now. But this time my BUN rose to 24. I was now told to see a neph, which I did. The neph told me that I could have had my problem since 2005 when my lab showed I had protein in my urine. I was really very disappointed. Something could have done earlier, had somebody told me about it. Anyway, it is here now. Am having another lab tests on Monday, July 18 to check if I improved after a month of renal diet. I am hoping I would because my diabetis has been controlled and my bp had started to normalize for the last two weeks. I am very glad to have found this site. I see glimmer of hopes and am not feeling that depressed anymore.

Re: Newbie

greetings Norman2000 and welcome to the forum! sounds like you are very proactive, good for you. you have discovered that it is your responsibility to keep your diet and bp in check, hopefully you'll never need to go to dialysis. keep up the good work!
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin

Thank you Patty for the warm welcome!!!

Norman, I want to welcome you also. This site is a great place to come to with questions or to share concerns. You will find that people are here to listen, reach out and help by sharing their experiences and knowledge. You don't ever need to feel alone here. Welcome!!

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Welcome Norman

Tonia and Patty are right this site and the people on it will help you and they are very welcoming. As with you, finding this forum and these nice people was the best thing that has happened to me . Good luck with your renal diet it seems to be working just stick with it.

Bonnie

Diagnosis with Stage 4, GFR 16%
    Glomeruliosclerosis
    Non diabete, normal BP
    November 2007

Today and tomorrow I am blessed by
    God and His Angels

Hi Norman,

WELCOME to the DaVita forums. We are here to support eachother, so glad you found and joined us!!

It really is too bad that you weren't informed about the protein when it was detected.
    Tell you what, focus on today and what you can do to prevent further damage to your kidneys and your whole body.
    It's great that you're taking charge of your health.
    It's also great that you learned about a renal diet, that will help so much!

Again, welcome and please free to post any questions or concerns you might have.

Take care!
    Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Thank you all. You are right, I feel better right away just reading through the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post
    Hi Norman,

WELCOME to the DaVita forums. We are here to support eachother, so glad you found and joined us!!

It really is too bad that you weren't informed about the protein when it was detected.
    Tell you what, focus on today and what you can do to prevent further damage to your kidneys and your whole body.
    It's great that you're taking charge of your health.
    It's also great that you learned about a renal diet, that will help so much!

Again, welcome and please free to post any questions or concerns you might have.

Take care!
    Marina
    I have one question regarding my diet. The nutritionist gave me 3 teaspoons of oil everyday. My endocrinologist told me to advise her that I am on ketosteril tablet. Is oil bad for the kidney?

Quote Originally Posted by norman2000 View Post
    I have one question regarding my diet. The nutritionist gave me 3 teaspoons of oil everyday. My endocrinologist told me to advise her that I am on ketosteril tablet. Is oil bad for the kidney?
    I had never heard of ketosteril. I had to do some research on it. It's essential amino acids Indicated for prevention and therapy of chronic renal insufficiency in connection with a low protein diet.
    Ketosteril
    http://nurseslabs.com/drug-study/ketosteril/
    Therapeutic Actions: Normalizes metabolic process, promotes recycling product exchange. Reduces ion concentration of potassium, magnesium and phosphate.

Indications
    • Protein energy malnutrition
    • Prevention and treatment of conditions caused by modified or insufficient protein metabolism in chronic renal failure
    My dietitian never mentioned that oil was bad for the kidneys, nor did I ever ask.
    Could it be that it has an adverse reaction with the med?
    Your best bet is to ask your endocronologist why he/she mentioned that to you, just to be on the safe side.

Take care!
    Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Thank you Marina.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast