Subscribe to this Thread…

Kidneys failed due to septic shock

hello. My name is michelle and i am new to dialysis.. i am 40 yrs old and was completely healthy until septic shock almost killed me and now i am left with a diagnosis of ESRD. I was in the hospital 24 days and now i have been doing outpatient dialysis for 3 weeks..depending on which dr i see, some are still hopeful my kidneys will recover, others are not so optimistic.. i just want to know if anybody else has a similar experience or knows any statistics on kidney function returning after an incident like this... i have so many other questions but this bears on my mind the most right now...

Re: Kidneys failed due to septic shock

Welcome to our site. I am sorry you ever had to use it personally, but that is what it is here for. I have seen people have their kidney function return after some trauma caused ESRD rather than a disease. I am not medically trained and cannot answer your question, but a quick look around the net gave me a look at many sources who do have some answers. You might want to start with http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/a...verview?page=2
    There are many more and the answer appears to be a good chance.
    Best of luck
    Cicero
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

H! I am in the middle of a similar experience. The first of April I went to the Emergency room with terrific pain, vomiting, etc. I was diagnosed with kidney stones and they scheduled me for removal in the morning. I woke up three weeks later in ICU on a ventilator with multi system failure due to septic shock! The Urologist had perforated a ureter and discovered a lot of pus behind the stone. It was released into my system and I almost died; the staff attribute my survival to a miracle which made sense to me as there were literally hundreds of people across three states praying for me. Three months later I have almost totally recovered but am still in dialysis for stage 4 kidney failure. I was in ESRD. I don't even know what my numbers were to start with but in the last month my Serum creatine has decreased from 7.49 to 2.83. My nephrologist says he will take me off dialysis when it stays below 2 for two weeks. We did a 24 hour creatine clearance which was at 17 , the lower end of normal for a person my age which is 65. I have faith that I can recover and so can you.

I am an advance practice nurse and have done a lot of research on this problem. You definitely should have a good chance of recovery. Are your lab values improving at all? This is a very frightening experience and I think I probably understand pretty much what you are going through right now. Take care of yourself and do anything you can to stay healthy and preserve your kidney function. I will be glad to answer any questions if I can. Millie

I am my husband's caregiver and I thought I'd share his experience with kidney failure and septic shock. Three years ago, I took him to the hospital with excruitiating hip pain. He has an artificial hip and we thought it was maybe out of place. He was admitted and they discovered he had several abcesses on his artificial hip. They had burst and he was in septic shock. He spent a week in ICU and a total of another 11 weeks in the hospital getting the infection cleared and then finally discovering that he had no kidney function. This was after a kidney biopsy. He was then started on dialysis. He was given large amounts of prendisone hoping that his kidneys would recover. They told us that the bacteria was the same one that causes step throat and that sometimes children with untreated strep have kidney failure but that once the strep is cleared, the kidneys start to work again. We were hopeful but, unfortunately, his never did recover. It was very disappointing to not regain his kidney function however, Tony was so glad to have survived and to have had such excellent care and support. Since then, he has had bladder cancer and underwent radiation for 10 days straight while still going for dialysis. He has now had 3 follow up appointments to check for the cancer and has been declared cancer free. Last week, he had a biopsy done of a nodule on his thyroid which was discovered in a bone scan done when he had bladder cancer. His positive attitude, strength and determination have helped him through all this and we are all so grateful that he is that kind of a guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy Q View Post
    I am my husband's caregiver and I thought I'd share his experience with kidney failure and septic shock. Three years ago, I took him to the hospital with excruitiating hip pain. He has an artificial hip and we thought it was maybe out of place. He was admitted and they discovered he had several abcesses on his artificial hip. They had burst and he was in septic shock. He spent a week in ICU and a total of another 11 weeks in the hospital getting the infection cleared and then finally discovering that he had no kidney function. This was after a kidney biopsy. He was then started on dialysis. He was given large amounts of prendisone hoping that his kidneys would recover. They told us that the bacteria was the same one that causes step throat and that sometimes children with untreated strep have kidney failure but that once the strep is cleared, the kidneys start to work again. We were hopeful but, unfortunately, his never did recover. It was very disappointing to not regain his kidney function however, Tony was so glad to have survived and to have had such excellent care and support. Since then, he has had bladder cancer and underwent radiation for 10 days straight while still going for dialysis. He has now had 3 follow up appointments to check for the cancer and has been declared cancer free. Last week, he had a biopsy done of a nodule on his thyroid which was discovered in a bone scan done when he had bladder cancer. His positive attitude, strength and determination have helped him through all this and we are all so grateful that he is that kind of a guy!
    Wow you guys have been through a lot. I'm bvery glad to read that you both are maintaining a positive attitude because that is what is going to keep you going. Look at how many people here have gone on to do very well and they say it's because they kept a positive attitude about everything.

Hope your hubby continues on the path to healing.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Quote Originally Posted by michelledbrewer View Post
    hello. My name is michelle and i am new to dialysis.. i am 40 yrs old and was completely healthy until septic shock almost killed me and now i am left with a diagnosis of ESRD. I was in the hospital 24 days and now i have been doing outpatient dialysis for 3 weeks..depending on which dr i see, some are still hopeful my kidneys will recover, others are not so optimistic.. i just want to know if anybody else has a similar experience or knows any statistics on kidney function returning after an incident like this... i have so many other questions but this bears on my mind the most right now...
    Michelledbrewer,

I dont think that there is any way of determining if one's kidneys will regain function. It all depends on the reason why they failed in the first place. Some have chronic conditions where they will just worsen over time and some have acute reasons.
    Since you do not have an underlying condition, You may have some hope to regain function. I have heard of ( and know people ) where there kidneys have regained their function after a while of being on dialysis as well as following a diet.
    My suggestion is to learn as much as you can about dialysis and what your bloodwork lab values mean. Dont leave it up to the professionals as they have many people to look after, and you just have one.
    They are more than likely going to treat you just like everyone else in the center. Research and ask questions. Do not be afraid to question anyone on the people treating you including the nephrologist. This is your right as a patient to know what is going on.
    Education and knowledge are key....

///M3R
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored