Subscribe to this Thread…

Exclamation Tea and Caffeine

http://www.thefragrantleaf.com/caffeine.html

What is caffeine and what effects does it have on the body?

Chemically, caffeine is a member of the xanthine family. Caffeine is odorless, has a bitter taste and is highly soluble in hot water. Caffeine occurs naturally in coffee, tea, cocoa, kola nuts and a variety of other plants.

In moderation, caffeine has beneficial effects on the body: it increases alertness, stimulates metabolism and contributes to an increase in dopamine levels in the blood, which improves mood.

How much caffeine does a cup of tea contain?
    The simple answer is: it depends. There are two main variables that influence the caffeine content of a cup of brewed tea: the type of leaf and the tea preparation method.

First, letís examine the type of leaf. On average, tea leaves contain 3% caffeine by weight, although this can range from 1.4% to 4.5%. Many factors determine the caffeine content in the dry leaf, such as soil chemistry, altitude, type of tea plant, position of the leaf on the tea bush and cultivation practices. For example, the young bud and first leaf generally have slightly more caffeine than leaves picked from the lower part of the tea bush. The leaves from the small leaf China tea plant (camellia sinensis) tend to have lower caffeine levels than the leaves from the large leaf Assam tea plant (camellia assamica). One factor that does not impact caffeine level is the level of oxidation. Green, oolong, black and white teas all contain caffeine. No one category of tea has more or less caffeine than another. Again, it all depends on the particular tea in question.

Next, letís take a look at the tea preparation method. There are many parameters that affect caffeine content such as the amount of leaf, the leaf particle size, water temperature and steeping time. For example, tea steeped in hot water for a longer time will release more of its caffeine than tea steeped with cooler water for a shorter period. A smaller leaf tea will release more of its caffeine than a larger leaf tea.

A Department of Nutritional Services report provides the following ranges of caffeine content for a cup of tea made with loose leaves:
    Black Tea: 23 - 110 mg
    Oolong Tea: 12 - 55 mg
    Green Tea: 8 - 36 mg
    White Tea: 6 Ė 25 mg

How can I lower the amount of caffeine in my cup?
    For those who are sensitive to caffeine, we recommend using a little less leaf and brewing your teas with slightly cooler water for a shorter period of time. Green, white and lightly oxidized oolong teas are good choices, as they tend to benefit from lower water temperatures and shorter steeping times.

Since nearly 80% of the caffeine will be extracted within 30 seconds of steeping, you can easily remove most of the caffeine in any tea by following these guidelines:

Steep the tea in hot water for 45 seconds. Discard the liquid. Then, add water to the leaves and brew for the amount of time that is appropriate for that particular tea.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Re: Tea and Caffeine

Does the process for reducing caffeine in tea go for coffee grounds as well?
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post

The amount of caffeine that tea contains depends on the tea leaves. Larger tea leaves releases lesser caffeine than smaller ones. Tea leaves that are plucked from the lower parts of the tea bushes contain lesser caffeine as well. Green tea has less caffeine and it is a very good alternative to cut down on the intake of coffee. Green tea also contains anti-oxidants so it is the healthiest kind of tea that is available.

Another important thing to remember is that drinking tea out of tea bags results in a higher intake of caffeine. Preparing your tea out of the loose tea leaves is recommended since it is less caffeinated.

The amount of caffeine that tea contains depends on the tea leaves. Larger tea leaves releases lesser caffeine than smaller ones. Tea leaves that are plucked from the lower parts of the tea bushes contain lesser caffeine as well. Green tea has less caffeine and it is a very good alternative to cut down on the intake of coffee. Green tea also contains anti-oxidants so it is the healthiest kind of tea that is available.

Another important thing to remember is that drinking tea out of tea bags results in a higher intake of caffeine. Preparing your tea out of the loose tea leaves is recommended since it is less caffeinated.

Dr. Goulet

To "I Am Blessed" I agree yes you are. Recently I was told the similar infor. My doctor stated it was Stage 4/5 with renal function of 15%. "Non diabetic, Non dialysis, not Anemic, all other labs are within normal levels, basically no protein in urine and kidneys are normal size. I take that all as being blessed. Did have an issue with High blood pressure however that is under control now. However I choose to believe what the Word of God says in Isaiah 53:45, Isaiah 55:11, 1 Peter 2:24, Matthew 8:17 and there are others. That is my position!! Yes I will follow the doctors orders regarding diet, exercise and taking my HBP medicine. I too am not afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God. Although we know the future we are healed and made whole by the Blood of the Lamb-Jesus and the word of our testimony.

heal2wholeness : Job is a good example on things being taken away from you(kidney function) and God was in control where Job was blessed double what he lost. So if God has an extra kidney out there and it is not my time to pass to heaven, that would be a second blessing. Until then, I have faith that my life is important, I can still do things for others and I have peace in what I am doing. I had prayed for years for a kidney so to give up would be praying without belief. This year I was blessed with double the grandchildren. I have three sons who have now given us six grandchildren. The three grandgirls born this year were my focus point when I did not feel well and then had to start dialysis (10/17/13). Now all of them were here Thanksgiving and what a blessing they are to our family.

Isn't God such a wonderful and good God! PRAISE THE LORD!!!! May God bless you and keep you for many years that you may enjoy your grandchildren. Continue standing on the Word of God, Praise Him daily and I am in agreement with you for your kidney.