Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Davita recipes......

Oh gosh, step away from the hotdog!!!! LOL That is sodium death right there. Most dieticians will tell you to stay under 2000 mg of sodium a day. Initially I was trying to keep Jesse at 1500mg or less and the dietcian said I could stop being the salt police and let him have up to 2000mg. LOL

Everything you eat and drink will have some sodium in it, make sure you are accounting for all your sodium from beverages as well as your food.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

I haven't tried the Davita recipes yet, but I'm going to after reading these posts. Anyone out there have any favorites to suggest? I'm going to try the Mac and Cheese and penne pasta as already suggested here. I signed up for a service online that e-mails me renal recipes once a week and a lot of them have been pretty good. Also I make homemade pizza with a lot less cheese, low sodium toppings and lower sodium dough. It's absolutely amazing how much sodium is in everyday non-salty stuff like tortillas, spaghetti sauce and salad dressing.

And I too am a salt police, food police and likely over the top caretaker

I found a salt subsitute that I really like. I use it after cooking and also to season food when cooking. It is Benson's Table Tasty. The website is: http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/ Let me kow if you try it.

I thought that I had posted this but I don't find it. I really like
    benson's table tasty,salt subsitute. I use it whrn cooking and also on food that is cooked. website http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/ . let me know if you try it.

Bebe - Thanks for the info on Benson's. Those seasonings look yummy! I will have to request those at my local market! Do you know anything about the Dr. Braggs brand? They have a very low sodium soy sauce alternative. Its very good but I have no idea about the phosphorus as its not on the label or website. If anyone knows if this is renal friendly, please let me know... http://bragg.com/products/bragg-liqu...ternative.html

It is unbelievable how much sodium is in 'everyday' foods. I was giving my son chef'boy'r dee lunch size pasta's in his lunch box for daycare and I double-checked and they have over 700 mgs of sodium. Whoa!! They are so small too! I switched him to Gerber, a more reasonable 300 mgs. Dont get me wrong, I am not putting my kids on a renal diet or anything. Just overall watching labels more now that I am more informed on label reading. It is really shocking how much sodium is in our foods. Even pasta sauce I was using had over 600 mgs per serving, something like 2500 mgs in a can! I am now buying Classico Red Pepper Pasta sauce for my family and my huband might use a little bit or just butter up his pasta depending on how he is feeling.

Here are some snacks I have had luck with him eating
    - Sourdough bread with Kerrygold Herb butter (toaster over for 5 min) Very tasty
    - Veggie kabbobs with onion, bell peper, mushroom and tofu - grilled
    - Green Peppers stuffed with rice, onion and veggies baked

*still waiting for approval to see a dietician so anything I post regarding food/diet should be noted that we have not seen a dietician yet
    husband diagnosed with igaN, May 2011, Stage 4
    BP meds and fish oil x15
    Currently being monitored monthly

Quote Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
    I thought that I had posted this but I don't find it. I really like
    benson's table tasty,salt subsitute. I use it whrn cooking and also on food that is cooked. website http://www.bensonsgourmetseasonings.com/ . let me know if you try it.
    I was told not to use salt subsitutes. Mrs Dash was alright but no salt subs. Was I told wrong??
    Dashound

Be sure to follow your doctors advice on sodium suppliments!! Most 'salt free' or 'low sodium' products are WAY high in potassium. We can't have it all good,

Our renal dietician and our neph told us Mrs Dash was perfect for us. We have to avoid the other salt subtitutes that are primarly potassium based. Those are too be avoided.

Mrs Dash actually has many different flavors, you should give them a try.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Smile Re: Davita recipes......

I've been wanting to try the recipes but ramon us a really plain person doesnt like anything no veggies nothing so idk wat to feed him..
    buthe says that he is willing to try the recipes on
    on here I'm making the pancakes tomorrow morning since its my day off
    n also definitely trying the mac n cheese

my dietician said to watch the potassium in Mr. Dash.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast