Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole Wheat

Whole Wheat

I have been at stage 4 for about 6 years. I watch my diet very carefully, 50 gm protein 2000 mg Na, P, & K. I drink only bottled water. Have a renal diet from a renal dietitian. When I went for a check-up with my Internal Med Dr., he said I could have "Pizza with a whole wheat crust because it was more nutritious than a plain crust." Of course, he did not mention the sauce, cheese, etc that is on the topping. I was flabbergasted!!! In the back of my mind I thought, "Are you trying to kill me?" When I mentioned that whole wheat was nixed, he said. "Nonsense, what could that be different than whole wheat"? Well, I forgot why. But then looked it up and it was the potassium. Also, there was another reason, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about the whole wheat clogging up the kidneys. Can someone explain it to me?

My GFR is stable at 23 to29. I do not have proteinuria. BP is normal, FBS and glucose tolerance is within normal limits. The only abnormality is that I have chronic leukemia which is also stable without any treatment, and does not interfere with any activities.

Impossible? Nonsense!!!

Re: Whole Wheat

For my boyfriend, whole wheat and whole grains are a no no because they have higher levels of phosphorus.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Yes, Metrogirl is right. Whole wheat although better than white as far as nutrition value, it is loaded with phosphorus; therefore, not a good choice of food for a renal patient.

Your Dr is looking more at the nutrition value of the whole wheat pizza, yet forgets or is unaware of what a renal diet is.
    Let's break it down:
    Pizza has cheese (phos & sodium), tomatoe sauce (potassium and sodium). meat toppings (protein, phosphorus and lots of sodium) ....... Unless your dietitian tells you it's okay (based on your labs), then eat it once in a great while.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Unhappy Re: Whole Wheat

I saw the dietition yesterday and this is what she said about whole wheat:

In the last couple of years, it was decided that Whole Wheat" NOT BRAN, was allowable, in fact encouraged, in the renal diet. That is because of the yeast's reaction on the whole wheat that makes it phosphorus free. She said I could have whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, wild rice. That is in exact contradiction of my renal diet.

My diet is protein 50 gm., 1500 - 2000 mg sodium, 2000 potassium, 1000 phosphorus.
    That has remained the same for since the beginning.
    I am stage 4, pre-diabetic, stable BP.

All these years, (except for a couple of acute renal failures), my labs have remained stable.
    What is your take on this?
    BTW, this is a new dietition, and not exclusively renal. However, she said she has many renal patients, and even some on dialysis. I don't know. Confused, I guess is the word I'm looking for.

The main reason I consulted her was to see if there was to be any change in my diet because of the new dx of pre-diabetic. And that was not even addressed until I insisted on at least a comment. I'm in a HMO and so am rather tied to who is given to me.

Impossible? Nonsense!!!

I just don't know what to make of this.
    I know for a fact that whole wheat products are not allowed in a renal diet.

The fact that this dietitian you saw has many renal patients including some on dialysis does NOT make her a renal dietitian.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Our renal dietician was very specific and adamant that he not eat any wheat or whole grains due to the phos.

For the longest time it has been seared into our brains that whole grains are better for us blah blah and for the average person it is likely bette for them, for the renal patient it can prove disastrous.
    Boyfriend is the renal patient:

Diabetes completely controlled with diet
    Hypertension better with the new med schedule.

PD as of 7/25/2011

Finally got the call on 12/20/2011 that he has been listed at Cedars Sinai.

Unfortunately, diet is another of the nephrology fields that, although apparently simple, is not well understood but those that are responsible for that field. The simple question, "Are you a renal dietation?" gets a yes under a variety of circumstances and therefore the advice to us varies by the persons nae whom we ask, even with apparently similar education and training they are light years apart on what they say. It ought to be a lot more clear than it is and more people should have the truth on a sheet of paper they pull out. Not actually knowing of all or not, but the paper for reference and for giveaway.
    But many do not care, just see the dietitian,
    This leads to keeping your own list and validating that once in awhile.
    Have faith and happy note taking and book making.
    Cicero
    May God have mercy on us all

CK

Idiopathic globular membranous nephritis 1999-2006
    Feb 2006 Dx about 1-2 yrs before dialysis. Dialysis start 6-2006
    Chest Cath 4 mos in center hemo dialysis
    Fistula, button holes, self stick days 07-09 in center hemo
    Graft nocturnal hemo 4Q09 to present

Thumbs up Re: Whole Wheat

I have e-mailed my neph re the whole wheat and the brown rice and the wild rice. But I don't have much faith in his knowledge of a renal diet. I have asked him questions about the diet before and I got the the impression that diets was not his department. Sometimes me thinks that chronic diseases are so boreing and that interest is taken only when you reach ESRD. (and I don't want to reach that stage).

Impossible? Nonsense!!!

Quote Originally Posted by renalwife View Post
    I have e-mailed my neph re the whole wheat and the brown rice and the wild rice. But I don't have much faith in his knowledge of a renal diet. I have asked him questions about the diet before and I got the the impression that diets was not his department. Sometimes me thinks that chronic diseases are so boreing and that interest is taken only when you reach ESRD. (and I don't want to reach that stage).
    Nephs are great at what they do!! They know numbers and meds.
    Diet, not so much.

Smile Re: Whole Wheat

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post
    Nephs are great at what they do!! They know numbers and meds.
    Diet, not so much.
    I can concur Marina, through my 20 years of being on dialysis, i have had numerous dietititans, and they all follow their own personal protocol, where the renal diet is concerned. I know it can be quite a challenge for the dietitians as well. The renal diet can be quite complexing, and of course, a challenge for most of the renal/dialysis pts. What to eat, how much to eat, and what needs to be eliminated in the diet all together, but of course, i was told by a veteran dialysis pt. back in 1990, that eating the way that darn unfriendly diet chart stated, i would become a 98 lb. weakling, he said moderation is key, and i have done pretty well with the renal diet, but of course, i am still human, i can get a little naughty at times, because i simply adore cheese and dishes cooked with cheese, that is truly been my weakness, where the renal diet is concerned, but i do my best to take my binders as prescribed and monitor the amount of phosphorus i eat everyday, because it seems everything you eat, has some phosphorus in its contents. I no longer have these itching attacks that i have had in the past, and i remember how miserable i was when i would itch uncontrollably. Taking binders has been a godsent for me, my phosphorus in the last decade and a half has been well controlled. Just remember Calicum, and Phosphorus works hand in hand in keeping the PTH happy. Watch your phoshorus people, Itch Itch! need i say more, Mr. Phosphorus is always lurking around the corner, so be ware. High phoshorus levels can also lead to calification in your eyes, foot, etc., causing blood shot eyes. It can also cause hardening of the blood vessels and body organs, which leads to heart attack and the potential bone disease and calcification in soft tissues. (heart & lungs). There is a chart in the PD department of my home unit, that scares me to deaf, when i would glimpse at it, it shows all the health issues that can occur with the phosphorus continuing to rise. That chart is so hideous and creepy, but it is the perfect reminder, to always take my binders and limit my phosphorus intake as much as possible. Ice Cream, Chocolate and Dark Sodas i have not indulge in, in over two decades, but cheese, like i mentioned earlier, is my weakness. All this i have shared very deeply in my second book - My Twenty Year Journey with PKD in the Dialysis World. I share all i have learned in extensive detail about Phosphorus and my copings with this particular mineral.
    Glo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast