Subscribe to this Thread…
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Constipation

Re: Constipation

When I was in the hospital they gave me Miralax plus the nurses at my dialysis center tells me to take it. Gosh what are you to beleive? I know I need something . Guess I best ask agin.
    Dashound
    DASHOUND

Stage 5
    dialysis 3 times aweek at center
    type 2 diabetic
    kidneys failed in Feb of 2010
    both kidneys full of stones
    removed my right one in March of 2010

taking one day at a time

Hello again Linda,

Although I try to be careful about offering advice, I would recommend a couple of things:

You may wish to post in the caregiver section about how you are feeling and about the questions and concerns you have so others who know what you are going through can offer support and share their experiences, which will help you while you are adjusting to all the changes.

I would see if your husband is receptive to visiting the forum as well as looking into the main davita site, which you can find out about virtually everything kidney/dialysis related. He may wish to join the forum as there are many individuals here that will be able to relate to exactly how he is feeling and help him as he adjusts to his new way of life.

Since he has been placed on a diet, you can use the davita diet helper and enter his dietary restrictions and this will help you with meal planning and allow you to track his intake, which may help alleviate a little of your stress and worry over what to prepare, etc.

Caregivers need help too! You will need to make sure you care for yourself as best you can. You still need breaks and should continue to do things that emotionally are good for you and that you enjoy. Try to get plenty of rest and be sure to eat!

You may also wish to consider seeking a mental health provider for yourself and your husband if he will participate as they can help you through the adjustments and it is always good to have someone to talk to.

Please know that things will become more manageable as you gain more knowledge and confidence. If we can do anything to help, we will be here.
    Create signature while not logged in, edited through forums.davita.com on 08/15/2012 @ 12:53!!!!!

Hi Linda, I want to welcome you to the forum too! There are many people here who will offer comfort and understanding for you and your husband. Please continue to feel free to ask questions and voice any concerns.

Many people with ckd also have other health issues that require limiting or caution with OTC meds. Therefore, I don't believe we should offer advice to use a particular med. for constipation. Always ask your Neph. or GP what you can safely use. You should be able to call the docs office for advice about any questionable over the counter meds.

Take care, Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

I want to thank you all for replying and sincere support. My husband is feeling better today,thank God, and I have a list of supplements that I am going to ask the doc about.
    Like Kidney Tonic, Dandelion, Green Tea, Milk Thistle, for other issues that he has.
    Thanks again.
    Herb's wife Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Herb75 View Post
    I want to thank you all for replying and sincere support. My husband is feeling better today,thank God, and I have a list of supplements that I am going to ask the doc about.
    Like Kidney Tonic, Dandelion, Green Tea, Milk Thistle, for other issues that he has.
    Thanks again.
    Herb's wife Linda
    Hi Linda,

I'm happy to hear your husband is feeling better!!!

I just wanted to add that there are many fruits and veggies that are high in fiber and kidney friendly. Apples are great and there are so many varieties of them. Just make sure you he eats the peels which is where the fibers is.
    All berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries) are great too,

As far as hebs and other "natural herbs/supplements" be VERY VERY careful. Some of those natural remedies can be harmful for us kidney patients.
    The majority of Drs don't have enough knowledge in this, and/or not enough studies have been done by the government (FDA).

Some herbs can do more harm than good.

Here's an article from NKF: http://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/...balsuppckd.cfm

also posted here: http://www.davita.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=herbs

Take care!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Wow..I had no idea. I thought that nettle was good for the kidneys! what a surprise.
    Thanks for the information.
    Linda

Ah, an unprofessional reply here but maybe something that would help with the constipation. How about light twisting of the body exercises? Just sitting in a chair and twisting the torso from side to side for around five minutes periods might help with getting the intestines moving. Even doing this exercise while lying down in bed before getting up in the morning might help. I guess if one is nauseated it might not be a good time, but... I do realize that medication of any kind can sap fluid out of the intestines and make one constipated, so really any more medications (natural ones included) might cause a build up of toxicity--especially since the kidneys are not functioning properly in the first place.

Bless your heart; you are a dear to be such a good cheerleader for your husband, but you must be at your wits end. "Go! Go! Go! Rah! Rah! Rah!"
    Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease, 17% renal function, 11 years
    *Non diabetic *Non dialysis
    High Blood Pressure, controlled

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."
    ~Corrie ten Boom

Quote Originally Posted by lcavender View Post
    I use Miralax. Very gentle and you mix it in with any liquid, and you won't taste it. Mix a capful in juice (or whatever) once a day each morning and it works like clockwork.
    I checked the Miralax.com website, and under a link entitled "Understanding Miralax....." it indicates (last column) that Miralax should NOT be taken if a person has kidney disease, unless under the supervision of a physician. I am all new to the CKD world (no dialysis yet) and am having a problem with constipation due to taking Iron tablets (plus the limited liquid intake). I've also read (do not recall where -- all the information seems to run together and gets quite confusing) that you should not get in the habit of taking laxative or stool softener every day! I think I will try the Flaxseed route. I also eat apples, carrots and other roughage to try to keep things flowing, but definitely am having a problem. Today, after no going #2 for 3 days and straining to make something come out (even after a stool softener yesterday), I wiped and there was blood. When I was finished, there was some blood in the toilet too.

CKD since Oct 2012 (26% GFR)
    GFR = 18% in Jan 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Marina View Post
    Hi HouseOfDialysis,

Iron infusions work great. Before you know it your hemoglobin will be within normal range and you'll have plenty of energy!

take care!

Marina
    Agreed. I am on dialysis (started 10/1/13) and in that time I have also received Epogen and iron injections. In that time my hemoglobin has gone from 7.0 to 12.1.

everyone has alot of questions and davita dorums are great. you kind of shutdown when you hear dialysis mentioned and loose all sense of what the drs etc are talking about so this site is awesomw.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123