Subscribe to this Thread…

Sex and Dialysis

I've been on Peritoneal Dialysis for about six weeks now, and I'm actually a little apprehensive about getting back into the swing of things. It's fine for my catheter to be there because it serves a great purpose in helping me get on with my life and all, but I don't think I'm the first person to remark that the catheter isn't exactly a sexy accoutrement for abs everywhere.

I'm a bit hesitant to get back in there for an underlying safety reason. I'd hate to move to a lights off only protocol, but I find the PD belt I wear distracting, but at least less distracting than tape.

Thoughts?
    Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
    Began PD on February 21st, 2011.
    On Transplant List since June 2010.

Re: Sex and Dialysis

I wear a "Be Band" all the time. You'll find them in the maternity section at Target. It's an elastic band that's flesh colored (or you can get black) that holds my catheter in place.You wear it around your belly. Even if I were a guy, I wouldn't hesitate to wear one because you can't even tell your wearing it.Lights on or off, it blends in with your skin.I wear mine 24/7 (except in the shower). And it's much more comfortable than tape or a dialysis belt.

Hi Icavender, thanks so much for the heads up about the "belly band" at Target ! bought one yesterday and luv it !
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin

You're welcome, Patty. Someone posted on here a long time ago about the belly bands, so I can't take credit for it. But I love them too!
    Diagnosed with PKD in 1992
    On transplant list since Dec. 2009
    Peritoneal dialysis since March 2010