Subscribe to this Thread…

at home potassium monitor??

just thinking how come they have a glucose tester and strips you can buy for diabetics but not a potassium checker that works the same way -I think its a brilliant idea and it only makes perfect sense why should be people be forced to play russian roulette with there lives -its horrible everyday wondering am I gonna make it to the next lab screening or not beause one day its way below normal and the next way to high I never know if I should be eating more or less it just does its own thing and my tremmers are worse than ever now ive had maybe 1 hr sleep and its not worth going to the er because they just treat you like oh your one of those people -I never felt lower in my life last time I went- it was danger low he said eat a bannana but then I eat very little it was in danger high zone just exausted from worrying and hoping god will pull me through this -I just dont understand why there has been no potassium monitor made available it has to have been thought of?A book I just got done reading says many people die every year from high potassium from ace inhibitors and should be monitored very closely even 2 times a month but drs seem to think aahhh you can wait 3 months if you die you die just try not to think about it?? frustrared

Re: at home potassium monitor??

I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. What are your low and high numbers on labs plus the potassium count?
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

I was 5.2 one day and 3 days later it was 3.1 -I understand hydration plays a part but I hadnt drank much water on the day it was 3.1 and that shoulda made it increase not decrease and the day it was 5.2 I hadnt eaten anything yet.so its frustrating never knowing am I too low or too high and the b/p med im on is lisinopril and it is one of the #1 ace inhibitors that cause high potassium so its scary never knowing when all you want to do is feel safe-and I have never gone over 1000 mg in months sometimes Ill skip my b/p pill to eat a little food because im scared and I dont have any dr to talk to about it when I have tryed to express my concerns I just get well just take the b/p med and eat normal and we will see in a few months what happens that doesnt make me feel safe when all I want to do is feel safe

Quote Originally Posted by jenjen76 View Post
    I was 5.2 one day and 3 days later it was 3.1 -I understand hydration plays a part but I hadnt drank much water on the day it was 3.1 and that shoulda made it increase not decrease and the day it was 5.2 I hadnt eaten anything yet.so its frustrating never knowing am I too low or too high and the b/p med im on is lisinopril and it is one of the #1 ace inhibitors that cause high potassium so its scary never knowing when all you want to do is feel safe-and I have never gone over 1000 mg in months sometimes Ill skip my b/p pill to eat a little food because im scared and I dont have any dr to talk to about it when I have tryed to express my concerns I just get well just take the b/p med and eat normal and we will see in a few months what happens that doesnt make me feel safe when all I want to do is feel safe
    Mine runs from on target to high, too, dangerously high. I really follow the renal diet religiously. I ate an orange two days in a row and flew back up again. We really do need something besides the list of high, medium and low potassium foods and there is no meds for that like the binders we have for phosphorus. I guess we really need to get people to donate for the research on topics like this.

I normally go by what my body tells me.

I usually can sense if it's high by certain sensations I get, but it's not a hard and fast rule. I do think it would be a great leap for people like us, though. Even if for weekly, if not daily, checks.
    Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
    Began PD on February 21st, 2011.
    On Transplant List since June 2010.

Are you taking lisinopril for high bp or as a measure for kidney protection? And what is the daily dose you take? I see in another post your doc has agreed to more followup bloodwork. Let us know how those results come back.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

HouseOfDialysis, it's good that you can feel when things aren't right , however when my labs came back with very high potassium the dr called me at work and suggested I go to the hosp. , I declined but did stop off at the pharmacy to get that stuff he prescribed to lower it, it worked asap. but again, I did not feel any different. so I check my labs closely every month.

yes, a potassium checker would be a great idea! who wants to be the entrepreneur?
    (whew, had to look that one up !)
    CAPD (continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis)
    since 7/13/07 with 4 exchanges a day
    kidney function improved after 2 years
    presently at 2 exchanges a day :-)
    diabetic, not on insulin