Subscribe to this Thread…

How does your GFR improve?

I take care a man named Fred, and his GFR levels are at 7%. Started dialysis at 8%. Fred goes to dialysis 3 days a week, has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. He is average to under weight, no other illness, and is approaching 70 years old.

My question is, how is it I see people talk on how their GFR levels have improved?? I didn't know you could regain kidney function. Can you eventually be taken off dialysis if they improve enough?? If so, this is the opposite of what I was told.

Any info is helpful. Thank you in advance.

Re: How does your GFR improve?

Hi Ladygrey,

Unfortunately kidney function cannot be improved if it was chronic (long time ) kidney disease.
    Acute ( brief and severe ) kidney disease can be improved in most cases.

Depending on what type of dialysis Fred is doing, he can possibly maintain the function he still has for some time. Most Peritoneal dialysis (PD) patients can hold on to residual kidney function. I was able to maintain mine for 6 1/2 yrs.
    Most hemo patients lose their remaining kidney function shortly after starting dialysis.

Hope this helped.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

And unfortunately, his kidney disease has been a life long event. He had been monitoring it for years and I think it's the combination of his age, his problems with his blood pressure and cholestrol, and also years spent not really taking care of his kidneys in an order to preserve them, I think all of that combined has resulted in the dramatic drop in his kidney function over the past year or so. I want to say maybe a year and a half ago, his GFR was at 12%. Then at his 6 month check up, he was told his GFR fell to 8%. Doctor said in normal patients with higher GFR's it wouldn't be a big deal, but where his levels are already low to begin with, he would need to start dialysis. Since starting dialysis a few months ago, it has slipped down another percent.

Today he somewhat monitors what he eats. But definitely not to the point of someone who really wants to be around for a while. He has already expressed his wishes of no transplant. And that I know is a personal choice. Also at his age, he has to look at the possibilities of someone donating to a 70 year old, with his preexisting conditions. So I do understand, but yet not.

And he is on hemo. I know he put off dialysis until the very second he needed it because of his fear of needles. However, once he had been on a tour of a dialysis facility, talked with some of the patients, and understood a bit more of the procedure, he says it's not all that bad. I know no one would jump at the chance to have dialysis, but to extend your life that much more, dialysis isn't so bad.

Thank you for your advice. I think sometimes, just being able to talk to someone else about this that isn't tired of hearing/talking about it, and knows what you go through, it helps just much more.

So thank you.

ladygrey, When a person is in stages 1 through 4 the GFR can improve some with proper diet, and control over high bp, diabetes and other health issues. These are the folks that talk about GFR improvement. As Marina stated, there are people who lost their kidney function all at once (acute) because of an injury or illness. They may require dialysis for a time and can improve to the point of not needing it anymore. Not everyone in that situation is that fortunate though. I believe it depends on the amount of damage done to the kidneys whether it's reversible. I have never heard of anyone with the chronic type of kidney disease go off dialysis except for those who have a transplant.

Marina, Once a person requires dialysis, does hanging on to the residual function better the quality of life? How does it impact the persons life or is it purely individual? Thanks, Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Quote Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
    Marina, Once a person requires dialysis, does hanging on to the residual function better the quality of life? How does it impact the persons life or is it purely individual? Thanks, Toni
    Hi Toni,
    Having some kidney function even if it's very minumal does help because dialysis can help us get rid of toxins but not in the way a kidney can. "nothing like the real thing" soft of thing. If there is some kidney function left, diet can be a bit more flexible. Making a person feel not so restricted, in my opinion does impact the person's life.
    My GFR was between 13-15% when I started PD and it slowly went down. But after 6 1/2 yrs I still had 8% which my nurses say it's great.

Have a Blessed day!

Marina
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Quote Originally Posted by ladygrey View Post
    I take care a man named Fred, and his GFR levels are at 7%. Started dialysis at 8%. Fred goes to dialysis 3 days a week, has high blood pressure and high cholesterol. He is average to under weight, no other illness, and is approaching 70 years old.

My question is, how is it I see people talk on how their GFR levels have improved?? I didn't know you could regain kidney function. Can you eventually be taken off dialysis if they improve enough?? If so, this is the opposite of what I was told.

Any info is helpful. Thank you in advance.

My GFR was 15 when I went on dialysis in a life/death situation. My GFR now is 3.8 because of dialyisis, but my kidneys are gone and will not come back. I know of a few people who have been taken off dialysis, but were back within 3 weeks starting back. I know I would only make it maybe 3-5 days without dialysis. So I think it just looks like the GFR has improved only because of dialysis cleaning the blood whatever method of dialysis you use.