Subscribe to this Thread…

Question How long does Dialysis will last?

Hello, My friend currently on Dialysis 1 year ago, she feel weakness on both legs and felt down on the floor. Her doctor said dialysis honestly last for 5 years. My other friend's friend had a dialysis 3 to 4 years ago and pass away. Her friend said dialysis will not last long then kidneys transplant. Her friend pass away because dialysis cause the heart disease such as heart attack or heart failure. I am worried my friend would be similar to other friend's friend situation. Does any one has heard of this or seen that happen?. Thank you.

Re: How long does Dialysis will last?

Hi joan, i've been on for 3 1/2 yrs and my older brother has been on for 8 yrs. We are getting weaker but still making it work. Kidney disease is usually combined with high blood pressure which could lead to heart problems. All i can suggest is your friend stay on treatment and get a transplant if that is an option for them. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Hello, My friend currently on Dialysis 1 year ago, she feel weakness on both legs and felt down on the floor. Her doctor said dialysis honestly last for 5 years. My other friend's friend had a dialysis 3 to 4 years ago and pass away. Her friend said dialysis will not last long then kidneys transplant. Her friend pass away because dialysis cause the heart disease such as heart attack or heart failure. I am worried my friend would be similar to other friend's friend situation. Does any one has heard of this or seen that happen?. Thank you.
    Hi Joan,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

It really bothers me when Drs give an estimated time (for lack of a better word) of how long dialysis will work. there is really no scientific numbers that I'm aware of. All the data is based on average numbers and it doesn't fit everyone.
    If you read posts you will find some members who have been on dialysis up to 20yrs (Jeffmoore is that memember), we also have) There are other patients who have done dialysis for over 35yrs.

No patient dies from kidney failure or dialysis. They often die from other health issues. Many others die from congetive heartfailure due to fluid overload. Yes unfortunately they don't follow their fluid restrictions and they over load on it, the heart cannot take constant fluid overload. High phosphorus and/or potassium levels are killers as well.

The diet can be difficult to remember at first. Many times we also feel like cheating, to which I have to admit, I cheated on my diet. However I would only take a small bite of a high phos food ( but never over did it ) I made sure I was good for the rest of the day. I do agree that cheating on your diet is not a smart thing to do, but we are human and do have weaknesses, just make sure you make smart decisions if you do decided to cheat.

Sorry I got carried away here

Bottom line is dialysis can be done for a long time by some patients. Fortunately and unfortunately, There's really no way of knowing who those patients will be be.
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Thanks Ms. Marina for your reply post. You are right, my friend had a high phosphorus levels and excessive of fluid. .Dr. took out limited fluid in the lungs when she went to ER due to hard to breath and she fine. She feel weakness after leg surgery with bone fracture. She stay in Rehab. couple of months from now for a recovering and ready to go home. Her high Blood Pressure rate was 146, 142, 145, 140 up and down often. she took High Blood Presure pill since left hospital. Some medical researchers said Dialysis is likely to cause heart disease. My other friend got weaknes and weaknes graduately and pass away instantly while sit on a couch with head down. Transplant is not the option for her since she was 56 and high blood suger levels. I think Dialysis is not = as transplant will last 20 to 40 years since the age.