Subscribe to this Thread…

Does DaVita administer dialysis to drug addicts?

My brother has been addicted to meth for many years. Recently his kidneys stopped working and he had to start dialysis. My question is, If he is still using meth, would he be able to get dialysis?
    He tells our mom that his blood is checked each time he has dialysis and that there's no way they'd perform dialysis if he were using. Most everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie so I'm wondering if he's telling the truth here or not. Is the blood tested and is it possible for a meth user to get dialysis?
    Thanks so much.

Re: Does DaVita administer dialysis to drug addicts?

Quote Originally Posted by JustWondering View Post
    My brother has been addicted to meth for many years. Recently his kidneys stopped working and he had to start dialysis. My question is, If he is still using meth, would he be able to get dialysis?
    He tells our mom that his blood is checked each time he has dialysis and that there's no way they'd perform dialysis if he were using. Most everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie so I'm wondering if he's telling the truth here or not. Is the blood tested and is it possible for a meth user to get dialysis?
    Thanks so much.
    I have dialysis tomorrow and will ask the staff. Let you know what they say! Although, I seriously doubt they would deny treatment. They might be required by law to inform the authorities. He might me arrested and have to be transported from jail to his treatments. I know of someone who was incarcerated and had to be brought to his treatments. They picked him up afterward and took him back to jail, but I don't know what his charges were.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Thanks, Cowgirl. I'll be watching for your reply and much luck to you!

I asked the facility administrator today. She said that they don't do drug testing at DaVita. So, unless he comes in high, or uses it on the machine, they would not even be aware of it. She does not know what would happen in the case of someone informing them of a patient's drug use. She is unaware of a situation where they would refuse treatment. I guess it has never come up! Hope that helps.

in center hemo dialysis since May 2009
    Sudden ESRD - non diabetic (but have 2 at home)
    turned down for list "lack of support" WHAT!!! starting over at different transplant center)

Yes, that's very helpful. I appreciate you so much for asking the question. THANKS!

Patients with chemical dependencies ie drugs and or alcohol have the same right to medical care as those without unless however it is contraindicated for other health reasons.