Subscribe to this Thread…

dropping blood pressure

So my hubby has been on dialysis for about two months now, seems like forever. His blood pressures drop to like 70 over 30 and sometimes less. Sweating a lot on those days, and dizzy when he gets home. Anyone have any ideas on why?

Re: dropping blood pressure

my hubby's does too.......they do run him in sodium which helps some...
    is yours running in sodium? have him check if he doesn't know..just a thought...
    it is very scary....about a month ago when it did it he didn't think he was going to live...he couldn't respond but could hear the RN say "he's not coming out of it" ...

good luck and best wishes to you and your husband......

Re: dropping blood pressure

JoLynn,

I'm so sorry your hubby is having this problem.

Is he watching his fluid intake?

If he's taking a bit much, they do have to remove it in order to avoid lung and cardiac complications. Since the fluid is removed at such fast pace, it's very likely for B/P to drop or crash that low.

I never did hemo, so I can speak from personal experience, but I imagine it must feel horrible when it drops that low.

If he's lost weight, then they might be pulling more than necessary.
    Maybe they can re-assess his dry weight.

Take care!
    I received the GIFT OF LIFE on Nov 9, 2010 thanks to my wonderful donor Laura and her family!

Smile Re: dropping blood pressure

Quote Originally Posted by JoLynn View Post
    So my hubby has been on dialysis for about two months now, seems like forever. His blood pressures drop to like 70 over 30 and sometimes less. Sweating a lot on those days, and dizzy when he gets home. Anyone have any ideas on why?
    JoLynn, i am sorry to hear that your husband is having issues with low b/p, but maybe this chapter of my book, may help you to understand why the b/p might drop, during hemo treatment, as i have had a ten year battle in the past with this on Hemo.

THE IMPORTANCE OF FLUID RESTRICTION:

Fluid is a very important factor when it comes to having adequate dialysis treatment.
    Dry Weight - is the weight at which your body has no excess fluid and your blood pressure is well controlled.
    Fluid Weight - is the weight you gain between dialysis treatments from the fluids you consume.
    The fluids consumed between dialysis sessions will build up in the blood and tissues, causing swelling in your ankles and feet. Fluid can also collect in the lungs or around your heart causing shortness of breath or congestive heart failure. Fluid gained between treatments is removed during dialysis. Fluid does not show in swelling or breathing problems for some people, but they have problems getting fluid removed to reach the dry weight during dialysis. If you drink too much fluid it becomes more difficult to remove in one dialysis session. As a result excess fluid gains can cause low blood pressure, cramps, nausea and vomiting toward the end of dialysis treatment.

Between dialysis treatments, your fluid weight gain should be about 1 to 3 kilograms or 2 to 6 pounds. (Note: if in the result at the end of treatment, you come below your dry weight, it could be factored in, that too much fluid has been removed from the body), the dry weight may have to be accessed, or if you are experiencing cramping off the machine, you could be gaining weight, and therefore the dry weight status may change, meaning your dry weight may have to be increased)

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: TWO (2) CUPS OF FLUID WEIGHT KILOGRAM OR 1 POUND.
    Note: However your total fluid intake per day will vary according to your kidney function.

FOR YOUR INFORMATION: FOODS THAT ARE LIQUID AT ROOM TEMPERATURE WILL CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR FLUID GAIN.

Below is a chart of common sources of fluid:

Water Ice
    Juice Tea
    Coffee Soda
    Milk Ice Cream
    Sherbet Soup
    Gelatin Popsicles
    Syrups in canned fruit

In the beginning, if you have difficulty controlling your fluid intake, try these tips:

If you get thirsty, try sucking on frozen grapes, ice chips, chilled lemon.

I hope your husband's plight with low b/p is remedied real soon. I know when my b/p would drop at the unit, they would give me straight broth to drink, right after treatment, but this was way back in the early 90's, i don't know if they still use that remedy today, because i am no longer on Hemo, and i don't low b/p issues that often on PD, but of course, when i have to take antibotics, i still do experience low b/p.
    All the best to your husband,
    Glo