Subscribe to this Thread…

Smile Working out while on dialysis.

Hope that some of my fellow dialysis patients can give me some pointers on something.

I'm a 35 year old male on dialysis for a little over a year now from FSGS. I have finally gotten myself used to working full time and doing dialysis for 15 hours a week without being wiped out all of the time. I'm also waiting for a match for a transplant, which I hope comes soon. My BMI is right around 35 and I would like to bring that down before transplant.

Here's my question:

What type of workout regimen would someone do to try to cut weight on dialysis? I've been walking 2-3 miles every non-dialysis day but that's not bringing any of my weight off. So let me know if you have any tips for working out and diet to cut weight safely.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Re: Working out while on dialysis.

Do you know all the general information about nutrition and weight loss? The obvious part is to take in less calories than you use in a day.
    Starting with your diet, I'd say cut your meals up into 4 or 5 smaller meals a day instead of 3 big ones. When you arent taking in enough calories your body tends to slow your metabolism to conserve energy, which is not good for losing weight. Eating on a more consistent basis throughout the day will trick your metabolism into staying higher. Try to focus on eating mainly fruits and vegetables and protein. Dont be afraid of carbs, just cut down on them. Fat has twice as many calories as any other type of food, so try to stay away. Most fad diets are unhealthy, you should stick to a balanced diet, just cut down on the amount. As a rule of thumb though, you can never go wrong with more fruits and vegetables, theyre super low in calories and great for you.
    As far as working out, You should be lifting weights as well as running/walking. The running/walking will burn your calories, while lifting will build muscle, thus increasing your metabolism, helping you burn more calories while youre not working out.

Im not sure if this is the type of answer youre looking for, but I hope it helps.
    Diagnosed with IGA Nephropathy in May 2010 at 23% function.
    Currently at ~11% function, catheter implanted, training for PD, pre planning stages of transplant
    Preparing for the big comeback

Re: Working out while on dialysis.

Welcome to the Forum JJ,
    I'm a 53yo male. Started hemo in Oct 08. My weight was 315 when this adventure started. Probably 30 lbs of that was fluid that they took off me pretty quick. Down to 215 now. Diet and activity level are what will get you there. You mentioned your walking distance but not the duration. on non-dialysis days I walk 4 miles in 60 minutes on a treadmill. I also work out with light weights. Dumbells up to 30lbs and weight machine up to 150lbs. I don't go higher in weight because of my fistula in my forearm. Sounds like your on the right track. You just have to burn more calories than you consume.