Subscribe to this Thread…

How does decreased kidney function affect blood sugar levels?

I am a Type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. My last eGFR in mid December was 18. Recently, I have been having many episodes of hypoglycemia which are occurring several times each day. My insulin levels have not changed nor has my diet/exercise. There is no reason for my blood sugars to drop like they have been over the last few weeks and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if it's caused by the decreased kidney function. I cannot find much information on the topic. Often times, the blood sugars are dropping very low before I even realize that it's low at all... like hypoglycemic unawareness. I can treat a low and within an hour it's low again. I see my Nephrologist on Tuesday but have so many questions for him that I'm afraid I'll forget most of them once I'm there. Any insight from another Type 1 would be appreciated greatly.

Carol

Re: How does decreased kidney function affect blood sugar levels?

Carol, I don't have the answer to your specific question but was wondering if you have contacted your GP in regards to this. Always write down your questions for the doc and try and take someone with you to help remember all thats discussed. It's easy to forget once your in the office.
    Hopefully someone here that is Type 1 can share some information about this. Let us know what the Dr. says.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Tonia, I usually make a list of my questions for my doctor but as you said, he may get on another topic and I get sidetracked. Also, right now I have so many questions that I don't know where to begin and I'm afraid that he will not have allotted the time necessary to answer them in one appointment.

I have noticed that when my anemia gets worse... my kidney function seems to get worse. The anemia is coming more often and I know I'll have to have my Aranesp injections adjusted accordingly. If I go longer between shots my kidneys really act up. The edema is horrible and I feel like someone who's been in a marathon I'm so tired. There's such a fine line between just enough of the Aranesp and too much. Given my history of heart disease and a previous heart attack, I cannot afford to let my hemaglobin get too high. I feel like I have so much going on and that each disease is related and causing the kidney failure. I take a huge number of medicines and wonder how all this will figure in with dialysis once I'm in ESRD. I have put off kidney failure for a long time but after 33 years of Type 1 diabetes... I think it's finally catching up with me.

I thank you for taking the time to acknowledge my post and offering support. I see my nephrologist tomorrow and will hopefully find some answers. It's been 3 1/2 years since I've seen him as my endo felt there wasn't a need yet. I'll keep you posted.

Carol

Just to let you know, I saw my neph today and posed this question to him and the answer was a resounding YES. He told me that I will need to work very closely with my endocrinologist to adjust my insulin pump basal and bolus rates. Also, he will be doing a 24 hour urine/labs to tell if my kidney function has declined even more. He gave me info. on classes at the center to help me determine what type of dialysis will be best for me and also a DVD to help answer some of my questions. He assures me that when I do start dialysis that I will feel much better. The kidney failure is due in part to many years of diabetes and partly because of my heart failure. I guess everyone here will be seeing a lot more of me in the future. I have enjoyed reading posts and learning from those who have lived with kidney disease. My neph was impressed by how much I already knew and told me that I made his job a lot easier. Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum!

Carol