Subscribe to this Thread…

Swelling in ankles and feet...

Help please... In the last few weeks I have noticed that the lower portion of my legs (especially ankles and feet) are swollen, my ankles ache something awful and I feel like someone is sticking pins in my toes. I am not diabetic, but my primary doctor has been watching my levels because they are on the rise (last fasting glucose reading was 133; A1C came back 5.6). For the ones who have had ckd for some time now and are not diabetic, is this something that goes along with having ckd? I have also been having shortness of breath so at the suggestion of my kidney doctor, I will be seeing a pulmonologist on December 13 (diagnosed with asthma but it's getting worse; primary doctor has not ruled out COPD). I did tell my kidney doctor about the swelling and all he said was "pulmonologist". I was just wondering if this is just one of the "symptoms" of ckd or could be just part of it? Since March I have been restricting my sodium to 1,800 a day and protein to only 6 ozs. a day; I drink lots of water every day too. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

NBGal (03-10 diagnosed with ckd stage 2 due to hypertension; 11-10 now stage 3 ckd--hypertension, hematuria)

Re: Swelling in ankles and feet...

Quote Originally Posted by NBGal View Post
    Help please... In the last few weeks I have noticed that the lower portion of my legs (especially ankles and feet) are swollen, my ankles ache something awful and I feel like someone is sticking pins in my toes. I am not diabetic, but my primary doctor has been watching my levels because they are on the rise (last fasting glucose reading was 133; A1C came back 5.6). For the ones who have had ckd for some time now and are not diabetic, is this something that goes along with having ckd? I have also been having shortness of breath so at the suggestion of my kidney doctor, I will be seeing a pulmonologist on December 13 (diagnosed with asthma but it's getting worse; primary doctor has not ruled out COPD). I did tell my kidney doctor about the swelling and all he said was "pulmonologist". I was just wondering if this is just one of the "symptoms" of ckd or could be just part of it? Since March I have been restricting my sodium to 1,800 a day and protein to only 6 ozs. a day; I drink lots of water every day too. I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks!

NBGal (03-10 diagnosed with ckd stage 2 due to hypertension; 11-10 now stage 3 ckd--hypertension, hematuria)
    NBGal,

Sounds like classic signs of lost kidney failure. When your kidneys fail, you retain water. Feet and ankles will swell. Shortless of breath may be due to the fluid building up around the lungs. Also, you say that you have been drinking a lot of water every day.
    Have you measure how much you drink comparied to how much you are urinating?
    I would do that for 24 hours. Also, I would suggest getting your blood work completed for your kidney functions to see what level you are at.
    How much water are you drinking per day?
    Instead of a pulmonologist, sounds like you need to visit the nephrologist. Im willing to bet that your pulmonologist is going to refer you to your nephrologist. Wherever you go first, I would suggest asking for lab work for your kidney functions.
    You are describing classic signs of CKD.

///M3R
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored

Hi NBGal, I see you just went from stage 2 to stage 3 of kidney disease. I have not heard of anyone having that amount of swelling in the earlier stages. It's hard to say if this is directly due to your kidneys but I think it's important to rule that out. The shortness of breath would concern me. You said that your primary Dr. has been taking care of you. Have you ever seen a Nephrologist? If not, I think you should as the above post mentioned. A Nephrologist will do more extensive testing than a GP. I hope you feel better soon.

I want to add to always follow the advice of your Dr. We here are only able to share our own experiences and what we have learned through this process. Best of luck.

Toni
    May you always have Love to share, Health to spare, and Friends that care

Acute Kidney Function Loss 12/07 - GFR 39
    Current GFR 46 - Stage 3 - Controlled HBP

Hi M3Riddler and Tonia,

My first visit (consultation) with my nephrologist was in February of this year (I then had an ultrasound of the kidneys (both are smaller than normal but no scarring, a tiny cyst on one kidney; nothing else -- also had 24-hour urine clearance test and kidney function bloodwork). March of this year I returned for results: stage 2 CKD due to long-term hypertension (even though I've been on blood pressure medication since early 90's). My doctor said to go on low-sodium and low-protein diet. I have done so. I saw my nephrologist again for 8 month checkup on November 5 -- morning appointment. I told him about my recent ankles swelling and his first words were "well, they're not swollen right now." I then told him that they are o.k. in the morning, but as the day progresses and by the time I get home from work (around 6:00pm) they are swollen and tight feeling. He then recommended I see a pulmonologist -- for this and my shortness of breath. He did not ask how much water I drink a day, but it is usually 64 ozs. of water, plus other liquids. My kidney function bloodwork which was done 2 weeks prior to my November appointment indicated creatinine 1.13--better than March reading and creatinine has been as high as 1.37, BUN was 26, BC/Ratio was 23, fasting glucose was up 133, uric acid at 7.0 (I have gout; take medication for it), eGFR is 50, cholesterol is 232, triglycerides are 178, LDL is 128 and HDL is 68. [These readings are the only things I have charted in the past and keep up with.] I am now doing WeightWatchers to lose 15/20 pounds; this should help with readings too.
    I apologize for such a long post, but wanted to make sure you understood I have seen a kidney doctor for my CKD. However, the shortness of breath has only gotten worse in the last 3 or 4 months. My primary doctor has had me on three different types of inhalers (for asthma), but none seem to work. So… my primary doctor also said (along with nephrologist) to see a pulmonologist to see what might be going on. I will let the pulmonologist know that I have CKD too.
    Thanks, again, for responding to my concerns.
    Hope you have a good day and a great weekend!
    NassauBGal (formerly NBGal)

Quote Originally Posted by NassauBGal View Post
    Hi M3Riddler and Tonia,

My first visit (consultation) with my nephrologist was in February of this year (I then had an ultrasound of the kidneys (both are smaller than normal but no scarring, a tiny cyst on one kidney; nothing else -- also had 24-hour urine clearance test and kidney function bloodwork). March of this year I returned for results: stage 2 CKD due to long-term hypertension (even though I've been on blood pressure medication since early 90's). My doctor said to go on low-sodium and low-protein diet. I have done so. I saw my nephrologist again for 8 month checkup on November 5 -- morning appointment. I told him about my recent ankles swelling and his first words were "well, they're not swollen right now." I then told him that they are o.k. in the morning, but as the day progresses and by the time I get home from work (around 6:00pm) they are swollen and tight feeling. He then recommended I see a pulmonologist -- for this and my shortness of breath. He did not ask how much water I drink a day, but it is usually 64 ozs. of water, plus other liquids. My kidney function bloodwork which was done 2 weeks prior to my November appointment indicated creatinine 1.13--better than March reading and creatinine has been as high as 1.37, BUN was 26, BC/Ratio was 23, fasting glucose was up 133, uric acid at 7.0 (I have gout; take medication for it), eGFR is 50, cholesterol is 232, triglycerides are 178, LDL is 128 and HDL is 68. [These readings are the only things I have charted in the past and keep up with.] I am now doing WeightWatchers to lose 15/20 pounds; this should help with readings too.
    I apologize for such a long post, but wanted to make sure you understood I have seen a kidney doctor for my CKD. However, the shortness of breath has only gotten worse in the last 3 or 4 months. My primary doctor has had me on three different types of inhalers (for asthma), but none seem to work. So… my primary doctor also said (along with nephrologist) to see a pulmonologist to see what might be going on. I will let the pulmonologist know that I have CKD too.
    Thanks, again, for responding to my concerns.
    Hope you have a good day and a great weekend!
    NassauBGal (formerly NBGal)

The swelling later in the day is usually how it goes as when you are on your feet all day, the gravity pulls the fluid to the lowest point. If you are fluid overload, this can very well add to your shortness of breath along with your asthma.
    There is a blood test than can be done that can tell you if you have extra fluid onboard. The test is usually for heart patients, but nephrologists also use it for kidney patients. The test is called a "BNP" which stands for B-type Natriuretic Peptide. It is primarily used for those with cardiac conditions. This test is not routine. I would ask your doctor if he will run this test.
    Again, I would also measure your urine output with respect to what you drink per day and the difference can tell you how much fluid you are gaining per day.....

///M3R
    NxStage - Since April - 06
    Facebook: Dialysis Discussion Uncensored